Broken Bolts at Oil Filter Housing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long time lurker looking for advice. I pulled my '87 FJ60 in the garage to go through it before my son starts driving it (father/son project). It had been setting for a couple years. We changed all fluids and were in the process of installing a Saginaw power steering pump conversion. After running the motor with the front wheels off the ground to flush the system, I heard fluid dripping on the ground. My first thought was that I had a power steering fluid leak, but it turned out to be about 5 of the 7 quarts of the engine oil that I just changed! I found a loose oil filter housing. Three of the four mounting bolts were broken. They came out of the block easy with a left handed drill bit. I can't believe there was no previous warning (like a slow leak). Also, the three broken bolts were still in the housing. I'm thinking that if they broke over time, they would have fallen out on the road while driving.Have you heard of this before? My first thought was that the bolts could have been either over torqued at one time, or loosened and fatigued. Could this be caused by a stuck oil pressure check valve (high oil pressure)? I searched the posts, but didn't see anything similar. I thought I would ask before I just replace the gasket and bolts. Thanks for your help!

My first thought was that the bolts could have been either over torqued at one time,

My guess too. There's no way that the oil pressure could shear the heads off of those three bolts.

I think if you replace the bolts & gasket, all will be good.

image.png

Have you heard of this before? - no

My first thought was that the bolts could have been either over torqued at one time, or loosened and fatigued.

I think you're right. This is a freak thing - no fault of your own. I have found factoryinstalled bolts vastly over tightened at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom