broken bolt/pin that locks the pinion gear shaft in to the spider gear housing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone had experience with a broken bolt/pin that locks the pinion gear shaft in to the spider gear housing. I am removing the rear drum brakes on a 79 FJ40. I removed the rear differential cover. The bolt/pin that locks the pinion gear shaft in to the spider gear housing came out very easily but it was very short. It must have been broken for some time. The pinion gear shaft will not budge. I used a steel punch to try to force the pinion gear shaft upward and hopefully break the broken bolt inside the spider gear housing. I hammered it for more than 30 minutes but it wouldn't budge. Has anyone run into this problem and if so, how did you remove the pinion gear shaft?

FJ40 rear differential gears.JPG

I used the broken piece. Drilled a hole in it and used it as a guide to drill into what was left of the pin. Then used an easy out type extractor to back the broken piece out.
I've had to do this twice on two different 1974 axles.

I used the broken piece. Drilled a hole in it and used it as a guide to drill into what was left of the pin. Then used an easy out type extractor to back the broken piece out.
Thanks for your response.

I guess I have to remove the bearing caps to pull the spider gear housing out in order to get at the broken pinion shaft retaining bolt?

Removing the bearing caps won't help. The axles will keep the carrier in place. Unfortunately , to remove the axles the center pin and block needs to be removed.

Has anyone had experience with a broken bolt/pin that locks the pinion gear shaft in to the spider gear housing. I am removing the rear drum brakes on a 79 FJ40. I removed the rear differential cover. The bolt/pin that locks the pinion gear shaft in to the spider gear housing came out very easily but it was very short. It must have been broken for some time. The pinion gear shaft will not budge. I used a steel punch to try to force the pinion gear shaft upward and hopefully break the broken bolt inside the spider gear housing. I hammered it for more than 30 minutes but it wouldn't budge. Has anyone run into this problem and if so, how did you remove the pinion gear shaft?

View attachment 3067407

View attachment 3067407

View attachment 3067407
I had this problem, I found a small magnet on the end of a scribe, epoxied it to a wooden dowel and retrieved both pieces. You don't have to take anything else apart.

Post a picture of the broken piece if you can.
If it is broke off at the smooth pin part then you could possibly pull it out with a small magnet.
If it is broke at the threaded part then you will have to unscrew what remains.
I was able to use a right angle drill attachment to drill into the broken piece still in the carrier using the broken "nut" side as a guide. Both were done without removing the caps.
Both of my broken pins were broke with some threads left in the carrier.

If a magnet doesnt work then take the entire axle out, stand on end with tire on to hold it up, gently rap on the carrier, remainder of pin will fall out if it doesnt when you tip axle up.

View attachment 3067407
Mine came out by just spinning it with a dental pick. It broke with one thread left on it and just screwed out.
Prolly won't happen after beating on it tho.
My thought is that the smooth end is smaller than it should be, so any up and down of the spider gear shaft will snap it off.
My '72 had noticeable wear and slop on the spider gear washers.
That's likely what caused it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom