Broken Bolt on the Boat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Broke a bolt taking off an exhaust manifold on my boat. Any ideas? I tried a vice grip, but I couldn't get a good grip on it.

I had hoped this would work. I think maybe the bolt broke because it had some lateral force on it.

I have thought about getting a nut with a hole slightly larger than the shaft and welding to it. But I don't personally have a welder. Will have to convince a friend to do that.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jared
broken bolt.JPG

If it were me I think I would grind and/or file it flat, center punch and drill it out gradually, working up in bit size. You can try EasyOuts but don't over torque or they can break off and make the problem bigger. Sometimes the bolt will free up and unscrew. Sometimes you have to go as big as possible without dinging the threads, then use a tap.

I have used the old weld a nut trick, lots of times with lots of success. The nut gives you a perfect way to grab ahold, but also the heat alone will really help loosen the broken stud.

Thanks for the help guys. I think I will PB blast it for a couple of days and then try some heat.

When you apply heat, you apply it to the manifold, and not the bolt --- right? Or does it matter?

Jared

Thanks for the help guys. I think I will PB blast it for a couple of days and then try some heat.

When you apply heat, you apply it to the manifold, and not the bolt --- right? Or does it matter?

Jared

Correct. Heat the manifold to make it expand away from the bolt and hopefully "break loose".

quit f'n around and weld a nut to it...

If that doesn't work then go for the punch/drill/tap method.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom