Broken bolt on hub (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a broken bolt on one of the front hubs... is there a way to remove this small broken bolt? It’s been like this for years with no issues but since I am doing a complete brake job (including rotors), I figure I’d fix this.

7885E105-9527-47A5-A1BA-4D28735A3973.jpeg

oddly enough I just fixed e same issue o my front hub.
These bolts are light torque before they snap which is good news is that getting them out is easy.
I was able to get some small needle nose pliers to get mine out.
Or
You can cut a small groove in the top of the bolt and then unscrew with a flat head screwdriver
Or
Buy a bolt extractor kit at home depot for $15 and reverse it out.

torch it with heat then cut a slot with a angle grinder. see if it comes out with screw driver otherwise drill and tap it and remove with reverse bolt extractor.

using a #7 or #8 stamped head bolt will prevent #4 snaps like this from happening ...........

DSCN7329.JPG

Last edited:
If you are decent with a welder you can weld a bit on the end to grab with some pliers or some people weld another bolt on so they can turn it free. if you have a dremel you can cut a slot in the end as mentoned above and turn out with a screw driver. You can try drilling it with a left hand drill (reverse to a normal drill and likely to spin the bolt out as you drill). You can drill a hole in the center of the bolt and use an easy out. Or you can drill the bolt out entirely....and you can swing by a machine shop and they can pull it for you.

When I redid my exhaust manifold I had some studs break off. Luckily I had access to a milling machine and I was able to fixture and mill out the stuck studs. Then clean the threads with a tap and put the new studs in place

Thanks everyone, I was not sure if an easy off would work being that it is a small diameter bolt.

I have started buying left hand drill bits purchased from McMaster Carr for these pesky situations. Sometimes it works a lot better than an easy out.

in my experience once one goes, more will do the same. it's pretty easy to swap out the hub studs

Thanks everyone, I was not sure if an easy off would work being that it is a small diameter bolt.

It helps to use a self-centering punch, as a pilot for the drill bit. If you can get the pilot dimple for the drill bit dead-center, often the lefty drill bit will remove the broken stud as it heats it while it drills.

Another vote for starting with a reverse rotation drill bit.

If it broke from being over tightened you might back it out with a pic or the easy out.

if it broke because of corrosion between dissimilar metals, it’s a bit more of fight. For corrosion, weld a nut to it, tap with a hammer while hot, melt some wax on the nut - it will wick up the threads. Let it cool. Turn it out with a wrench.

You can pull those fancy screws / bolts off most interior Toyotas at the parts yard. I have some nice ones that were used to hold the window regulators.

Not sure if they are 'exactly' the same. I always try to collect some good JIS hardware when at the parts yard since they don't charge for bolts sitting in your cart.

Got the bolt out!

I had ordered all new bolts from Toyota prior to starting tear down

Thanks again for all the help!

D43D727F-3B2B-47EF-9BD2-65F5F1419F55.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom