broken bolt need help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

landcrusher909

Athlete/Race truck driver/Hobbyist
Threads
the head on the bolt holding the crosspin in the rear diff snapped off i was getting ready to install my aussie locker well now i am stuck and looking for ideas , this really bites!!!!!!!

Drill it out.

weld a nut on the bolt..

It is pretty hard to get a drill on it w/o removing the carrier, especially if the bolt remians are recessed a couple of threads inside the hole. You might try tacking a short piece of 3/32" 7018 welding rod (1 sec at about 100 amps) onto the bolt remains and then using the rod as a handle to turn it out.

Pin_Head said:
It is pretty hard to get a drill on it w/o removing the carrier, especially if the bolt remians are recessed a couple of threads inside the hole. You might try tacking a short piece of 3/32" 7018 welding rod (1 sec at about 100 amps) onto the bolt remains and then using the rod as a handle to turn it out.

Good idea,I would have never thought of that. I would have taken out the carrier. Learn something new eveyday. thanks for the tip.

Usually when a bolt breaks it's because there was some big-time interference on the threads. This being the case you are really screwed. Easy-Outs are an oxy-moron. Break those off in a hole and the blue tipped wrench is your only hope. Good luck and let us know how you get it out.

Sometimes the pin just breaks off with no threads left behind inside the hole. If this is the case, you can sometimes get the remains out with a magnet. Wiggle the center pin a little to help free it up.

Didn't he post up a while back that this was resolved....

He had two threads cookin' on this....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom