broken bolt need help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

landcrusher909

Athlete/Race truck driver/Hobbyist
Threads
while taking out the old bolt that holds in the cross pin in the rear diff the head of the bolt broke off i was getting ready to install my new asuuie locker and well now i cant get anything apart anyone out there got and ideas i hope i am not the only one who has had this happen

Yep. Been there.

Was not able to get the remaining piece of that fastener out, and was forced to replace the carrier.

Same scenario, only was installing a valu-lok/lok rite for a customer.

Good luck!

-Steve

If you have a stick welder (or a couple of batteries in series), you can take a short piece of welding rod, bend the electrode holder end in a L for a handle, center the shielded end on the broke bolt, and spot weld it to the bolt for a second. Then you use the handle to turn it out. Don't get carried away with tacking it. If it breaks off you can jsut stick it again.

I cant remember if you can get a drill in there or not, but drilling it and usinging an easy out may be another option.

-Dustin

i have to get to work today but we have several ideas there is just enough room to try the welding rod trick and if that wont hold we are going to take a drumell tool and try to cut a groove into the remaining bolt so i can use a screw driver to get it out thanks for the ideas and i will keep u posted on the outcome

Might try a left tapered drillbit also.. Had better luck with them than the easy out..

I've read about a couple of folks busting these, and wondered if reusing this pin a gamble - is this something that should be replaced with a rebuild or locker install, (esp if the history is unknown), or should it be OK if it hasn't been overtorqued? I had a heckava time finding a torque recommendation - finally found 25 ft/lb on a post.

Pin_Head said:
If you have a stick welder (or a couple of batteries in series), you can take a short piece of welding rod, bend the electrode holder end in a L for a handle, center the shielded end on the broke bolt, and spot weld it to the bolt for a second. Then you use the handle to turn it out. Don't get carried away with tacking it. If it breaks off you can jsut stick it again.

This is a great idea. I have used a wire feed welder to remove many frozen or broken bolts. I would build a bead on top and grab it with pliers. The heat from the welder helps to break it loose. Given your situation, a welding rod may be just what you are looking for. Let us know how this works out for you if you try it.

well the bolts out i ended up using a drumell tool to cut a slot in the bolt head and taking a screwdriver and getting it out didnt have to cut into the housing to much and i am sure it will be fine the welding trick sounds great but i had already cut into the bolt i was surprised that the local toyota dealer had the replacement pin for 4 bucks life is good again thanks

You got a break.

They often break off deeper in the hole so you can't get at it so easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom