Broken Birfs (1 Viewer)

How many have broken Birfs?

• Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought it would be interesting to see how many have actually broken birfields here. When i was wheelin' last weekend i lifted a tire and was on the gas. Came down on the spinning wheel pretty hard and was thinking of carnage. Got me thinking how strong are these puppies or do they just have a bad rap?

Might be more insightful to find out how many people who WHEEL have broken a birf. :beer: (Just the econometrician in me speaking)

I haven't broken any yet, thank goodness. However, I think Chriso Slee may be close to, if not in, the double digits. He went through 5 (I believe) in just 3 days at this years BHCC.

Nope. Not Oreo. Don't really frequent the pirate board.

I've broken 9 of the smaller Birfields on my 4Runner. I have not yet broken one on my 80 series rig but I am sure the day will come, it's just a matter of time.

I broke one on the highway. it went dry.

I have had a couple good pops that sounded like someone hit the front axle with a 10 pound sledge but no carnage.

I guess i should have put another option up there like wheelin' vs. daily driving. For junk of coarse.

[quote author=Hltoppr link=board=2;threadid=11106;start=msg100523#msg100523 date=1076105134]
LOL...and that's just in the driveway! :flipoff2:

-H-
[/quote]

Actually one snapped on the trail, and was replaced just off the trail after following some 42" equipped buggies. The other was damaged the same day, but finally went kaput later on.

fyi, these are the buggies that made it up the trail I was trying. :D
buggy_0004.jpg

Some of you may remember that this was shortly after one of my surgeries and I was on wicked blood thinners. I could not take a chance on cutting myself, so I got help from these guys.

You can not get a better group of 3 guys to help, than JH, Swiftie and Alejandro.
BIRF_0153.jpg

Swiftie is now in Iraq, Ale in Italy and JH is stuck baby sitting me.

Broke three in 10 years, and decided that was enough. Will not run them again.

On extreme wheeling with bigger tires 37"+, are there any aftermarket birfs that are stronger than factory? Why not have the birfs forged for more strength if they are not? ???

[quote author=FJ809496TLC link=board=2;threadid=11106;start=msg100923#msg100923 date=1076162432]
On extreme wheeling with bigger tires 37"+, are there any aftermarket birfs that are stronger than factory? Why not have the birfs forged for more strength if they are not? ???
[/quote]

Yep, they are called Dana 60s, and they come with a complete axle housing :) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom