broken Belt - can I still drive it >? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mybj40.blogspot.com
I need some quick info and I am searching …

I was pulling out of the drive this am and a belt broke and spun around the fan. What a mess ! The belt that broke was one of the small belts , the one closest to the engine and I need to know if I can drive down the street a few miles with out doing major damage.

Any help would be great. Again it is the second small belt closest to the engine that broken and shredded.

Anything else I should look out for ???

thanks. I hope I can get if fixed for the weekend !:crybaby:

IF it was one of the TWO belts that drive the alternator, or the A/C belt, then you can get by. If it was both atternator belts you should not operate the vehicle.

The great one has spoken, I think it is just one but I will double check !
Now how much for extra belts to go into the cargo box ?
thanks.

I agree w/ Dan (who wouldn't). I slung one driving from Houston to Dallas, about 1 hour into the 4 hour trip. I stopped when I heard it, saw that it was only one of the two belts, and just drove carefully to Dallas. I have had no problems (that I know of yet) with it at a result.

:cheers:

A full set of OEM belts is about 18 bucks.

Mine were all replaced w/ OEM belts as soon as I got to Dallas. Just had to limp it home w/ the one belt missing.

I'm curious why you can't/shouldn't drive it without the alternator? I drove my pickup (22RE) for almost 20 miles last week with a totally dead alternator, trying to find a new one. Didn't hurt it a bit.

KLF said:
I'm curious why you can't/shouldn't drive it without the alternator? I drove my pickup (22RE) for almost 20 miles last week with a totally dead alternator, trying to find a new one. Didn't hurt it a bit.

How will you charge your battery w/o an alternator?

KLF said:

Quite simple actually.

If both alternator belts are gone the motor will burn up long before you drain the battery. Those same belts also turn the fan and water pump......;)

Doc said:
How will you charge your battery w/o an alternator?

Well, you can't, of course. But you'd be surprised how far you can drive on just the battery, as long as it's healthy when the alternator quits, and you shut off all non-essential electrical loads (stereo, blower, lights, etc) and only start it a few times.

If I was on my daily commute (35 miles), I would have just driven it home and fixed it later. But I was 500 miles from home, in Canada, and I really needed to get home that day. Took several stores to find one in stock (local dealer didn't have one), then I changed it in the parking lot.

Cdan, OK thanks. I just wanted to know if there was an electrical reason. 22RE is the same way.

What part of Atlanta, I'm pretty sure I have spares.

Oh yeah, come to the next GA Cruisers meeting...no one in ATL with a cruiser and surfing this site should be without people to call in the ATL area...we are all over the place.

I don't have any spares (yet) but will once I get my truck next weekend and start setting up shop again.

I am in the Decatur area near the square. I am going to try to make it to the next Ga. Cruisers meeting. Thanks for the response. Right now I have it over at a local shop in Decatur .. I think I will pick up a spare set from Cdan to have just in case.

thanks.

I wondering is there a reason for the redundant belts other than redundancy? I must admit when I first got my cruiser I was running on one belt for who know how long.

just a shot in the dark - but maybe you should check the pulley underneath the alternator - the one that barely touches the belt.

mine was frozen up solid........ search for idler pulley I think it is called

Darwood said:
I wondering is there a reason for the redundant belts other than redundancy? I must admit when I first got my cruiser I was running on one belt for who know how long.

Twice the surface area to drive the accessories. Imagine a locked-up fan clutch and an alternator putting out 80 amps at 4,500 rpm.

fuelgeddes said:
I am in the Decatur area near the square. I am going to try to make it to the next Ga. Cruisers meeting. Thanks for the response. Right now I have it over at a local shop in Decatur .. I think I will pick up a spare set from Cdan to have just in case.

thanks.

Thats where my spares came from...I've had bad experiances with some of the local shops having basic things in stock. If I change break pads, I order new ones until next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom