Broken Axle Housing Stud (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is it worth the trouble to remove this broken stud? Two other studs broke, and I got them out with vise-grips and cursing, but this one is really rusted into place. I can't get a drill in there because the gas tank is in the way. I could weld a nut on the end, but once again, the gas tank is in the way, and I don't want to flux-core that close to the tank.

I'm thinking about just siliconing around it. Yeah, i know....it's really half-assed; but I'm sick of wrenching on this rusted-out POS. Any advice or encouragement?

DSCN1727.jpg

DSCN1728.jpg

If you've got a welder handy you could burn on a cheap socket or something.

Umm, lots of PB blaster and a pair of vice grips.

If it is still stuck, use a little heat from a torch.

Heck, it looks like you may have enough threads on there to double nut it off. Or as mentioned before, thread on a nut, tack weld it in place (or if you dont have a welder, put the nut on, and use alot of quiksteel on the threads, and both sides of the nut), then zip it off with an impact gun.

Thanks for the encouragement. The threads are chewed-up from me trying the vise-grips. It's been sitting for two days with PB Blaster. I have a welder, but I was hesitant to weld that close to the gas tank. Is that a big no-no?

A little heat with a propane torch can do amazing things. Give it a try then crank on it again with the ViseGrips. If it still won't come out, then give the welder trick a try. Wrap a wet blanket around the gas tank.

I had a hub stud like that, I grabbed an open end wrench that fit over the stud and tacked it on good with the welder. It came right out. Really you aren't welding for that long, I used a couple really hot tack welds. Cover the tank with a welding blanket or foil and you should be fine.

Thanks for the encouragement. The threads are chewed-up from me trying the vise-grips. It's been sitting for two days with PB Blaster. I have a welder, but I was hesitant to weld that close to the gas tank. Is that a big no-no?

That close to the gas tank? Its about 2-3' away. I weld 2" from the gas tank without thinking twice.

Don't over think it.

That close to the gas tank? Its about 2-3' away. I weld 2" from the gas tank without thinking twice.

Don't over think it.

you can see the edge of the tank in the first picture. It's a reg cab / short bed with no lift. Maybe that's why it's so close. :confused: I've seen muffler shops weld around gas tanks, and they do nothing. Now that I've calmed down, I'm gonna try it today...

you can see the edge of the tank in the first picture. It's a reg cab / short bed with no lift. Maybe that's why it's so close. :confused: I've seen muffler shops weld around gas tanks, and they do nothing. Now that I've calmed down, I'm gonna try it today...

I left my camera at the shop, but I have a picture of me using the plasma cutter, with the sparks hitting the gas tank for about 20 minutes.

I think you will be fine.

I got it out yesterday with some MAPP gas and visegrips. Thanks for the support. The rest of the locker install went fine, except I lost my marks for the backlash adjusters. :bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom