Broken Air Filter Box Latch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So replaced my starter contacts today....feel very accomplished but at the very end realized I had one boo-boo. I must have kneeled on the box that holds the air filter and broke one of hold down tabs(latch) off...(will try and get a picture but getting dark and tired).

so the bottom of the hold down tab(latch) (pivots off the bottom of the of the box) is held in place by a molded in dowel(lack of a better word)...so anyone have any ideas how to repair this?

Was thinking i could drill a hole and hold the tab on with a small bolt(will make sense if you look at your own,...) Or some type of cam over device that bolted into the fender well....will try and get a photo but for now curious if others have ideas. thanks in advance

barrypt5

So replaced my starter contacts today....feel very accomplished but at the very end realized I had one boo-boo. I must have kneeled on the box that holds the air filter and broke one of hold down tabs(latch) off...(will try and get a picture but getting dark and tired).

so the bottom of the hold down tab(latch) (pivots off the bottom of the of the box) is held in place by a molded in dowel(lack of a better word)...so anyone have any ideas how to repair this?

Was thinking i could drill a hole and hold the tab on with a small bolt(will make sense if you look at your own,...) Or some type of cam over device that bolted into the fender well....will try and get a photo but for now curious if others have ideas. thanks in advance

barrypt5

I got the same thing going on. Mine was missing when purchased. Didn't think too much of it and figured that the vacuum of the intake would hold it closed. It wasn't until after one particularly dusty trip that I discovered some dust had made it past the filter due to the incomplete closure. I now run a couple of passes of duct tape around the seam to keep everything happy. It's a little whiskey tango, but it works.

Here's what I did to fix the broken latch on my air box. I'll have to dig up the exact part number of the draw latch that I used, but here are some pics.

Broken/ missing latch:
image-2433807160.jpg

Dremel tool used to remove the external ribbing:
image-1645614688.jpg

Another view:
image-2142155141.jpg

Lower air box internal ribbing:
image-1361754038.jpg

Internal ribbing after the Dremel treatment:
image-804406304.jpg

Nuts and washers secured with blue loctite:
image-1013584634.jpg

Adjustable draw latch spaced out with a piece of ABS plastic (forgot thickness, will measure):
image-3607086784.jpg

Latch over lid:
image-3679777768.jpg

Latched!
image-2091186203.jpg

Air box reinstalled:
image-59581974.jpg

Last one =]
image-3148485390.jpg
image-2433807160.jpg
image-1645614688.jpg
image-2142155141.jpg
image-1361754038.jpg
image-804406304.jpg
image-1013584634.jpg
image-3607086784.jpg
image-3679777768.jpg
image-2091186203.jpg
image-59581974.jpg
image-3148485390.jpg

Supra - that's impressive. Nice work!

Very neat :)
My old cruiser had the same problem but was on LPG and during a long trip the motor backfired :bang: and I had a few nice cracks in the airbox .... so had to buy a new one at a :censor: more cash than expected.

Supra- really clean work on the fix pic #1 is exactly what mine looks like....at least do you know what the name of that latch is? I looked for it on mcmaster carr but could not figure out the damn name....i was hoping to mount the latch from the bolt mount point that holds the air box to the fender well.....thanks for uploading the photos:cheers:

barrypt5

edit: options.... http://www.mcmaster.com/#adjustable-draw-latches/=f8m6u4

Last edited:
Thanks for your patience guys.

I got my latch from Reid Supply... here's the link:
Item No: SC-913 [Exposed-Base Under-Center Latch]

The picture shown is incorrect, but the page does state that it's the black stainless with the exposed base. $11.94 plus shipping.

Has anyone purchased an adjustable latch from McMaster? If so, how did it turn out? Which one did you go with?

I am trying to decide which model I should go with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom