Broke my air intake flex hose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, went fourwheeling in the mountains yesterday for the first time in my new 80, and what I really think is the first time for the truck, and this morning the check engine light comes on. Well, I do the disconnect battery bit, hit the alarm button, and try to diagnose. Low and behold, the flex host from the air filter box and the intake manifold is completely broken in two.

Are these prone to breaking with engine/motormount flex, or has this one been so idle for 9 years that it was just brittle?

Till I get a new one from CDan, anyone think it's a bad idea to take duct tape and wrap it? The gap is about 1/16 inch, 360.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Eddie

Also, bad part is I don't know when during the run yesterday this happened. I coulda been sucking some major dust directly into my manifold (and I was just bragging about how clean my oil was...).

new mexico huh? well go figure the heat does it. my truck is an az and i have replaced mine. it happes alot usuly from trying to get to the air filter. i duct taped mine till i got a new one and it worked fine. i oil my new one regularly to try and keep it moist and last longer.

This happens after a certain amount of years, due mostly that the hose sits above the exhaust manifold. Which will dry out the hose over time and make it brittle. later robbie

I'v replaced mine once already as well.

Has anyone found a good alternative to the stock toyota tube, something that will hold up better and not cost as much?

How much do they usually cost?

Call Cdan when he gets back in and order a new one. I thin they are around $129 for smart shoppers but don't quote me on that. In the mean time you could fix it with some kentucky chrome.....
IMG_0135 (Small).jpg

for some reason i thought they were like $94 from dan? any ways a trick to kep the lower heat off them (i.e exhaust heat) go to napa and buy one of those exhaust hangers there like a wide flap piece of metal and clap it around the hose where its at. its another think u have to take off to get to your air cleaner but it reflects the heat.

mike

That price seems about right, I just bought one (broke mine when changing the air filter) and it was hard and brittle... 11 years of Arizona heat and engine compartment...

I broke a section on my 91 and I did the "duct-it or fuct-it" method and the only problem I've had 1 year later is explaining to people that I did that in a pinch and the part is $100 to replace. SO it's there until it duct tape breaks.

Oh, plus I'm in Alabama, state law requires at least 1 item per registered vehicle be held on/together by duct tape. My qouta.

Okay, just pieced it together with some duct tape, and it's workin fine again. I'd rather spend the $100 on something more useful if this will work for a while. Thanks for the input!

Eddie

my $.02 - use the all metal heating duct tape (warning very sharp) and not the plastic tape with fibers in it and you will have a fix that looks alot better and may outlast the truck if you decide to leave it. An immediate oil change would be a good idea too.

Had the same problem in my Suburban because the aftermarket turbo cooked the hose. I fixed it a couple of times with the plastic tape but the glue would fail after a year or so and cause the tape to peel. Got some of the metal tape and the fix is permanent.

Even though I had the shiny metallic duct tape, I didn't want to add anything that could be considered 'bling' so I spared no expense, made the trip, and bought some black duct tape :flipoff2:

Its been running fine over the last year or so.

My cheap a$$ problem is my 4Rnr has the same problem so I don't want to shell out the $2xx.00 or so for both vehicles.

one day...

WET

Cruiser heads aren't only ones using duct tape ......

bilde

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom