Broke down for the first time in 20+ years (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Battery terminals were both recently replaced, connections are tight and no corrosion. Battery is new (1500 miles), Super Start Premium 27F from OReilly. Previous died because I left the car overnight ACCidentally. When I tried to charge the old battery with my charger it could never push more than 7V so OReilly took it back under warranty. Car has been starting just fine and the voltmeter on my Scan Guage has been showing 14+ during operation of the vehicle. I noticed the high pitched whining sound while I was doing some running around with the vehicle earlier in the day, so it would have run for a few hours with the whining. It wasn't loud at all. In fact it's a fairly faint whining noise. If only I had known that's the sound of a dying alternator, we would have driven our other car to the show!

Saturday night we left for the concert and got less than 10 miles from home. That's when we started noticing the stereo flipping itself off and the antenna going up and down. Drove about 30 seconds further until stopped at a light, that's when I turned the car off thinking I'd just restart and resolve the radio. All I got when I tried to start was the rapid clicking noise, and lots of dim dash lights blinking, so I knew battery was dead. If a brand new battery dies mid-drive, given the new terminals and tight connections, along with the high pitched whine, I can only assume it's the alternator.

This was the really scary part. It's a pretty busy road. My wife was trying to direct traffic around to the left while I leaned in through the passenger side to pop the hood for the jump. Meanwhile we had jerks passing us on the right side of the car honking horns at us as I was trying to pop the hood. It was not fun. First jump start with the battery pack got me about 50 feet and then the car died again, but this point where I at least had grass on the side of the road to break down in. Went out and jumped it again with the battery pack and hobbled onto the grass with the battery pack still connected and the hood up. Then I got out of the car and disconnected the battery pack, and the car immediately died.

After that it was tow truck time. And not Rolling Stones time. I'm at least thankful that I broke down where I did and not 100 feet later, or we would have been in the middle of a busy intersection. Nobody got hurt, the car didn't get damaged. Plenty of blessings to count.

Here's a question. If you have a dead alternator and a dead battery, and you put a new fully charged battery in the car, assuming you only start the car once, how far can you drive on battery power before the battery dies?

23ef98f01c413e2ab984111c6896fe57.jpeg

If I go on the Toyota parts website, it shows the alternator for the 2001 LC can be gotten through my dealer for $140 plus a $75 core fee. But the denso website says it's on national backorder. Is the current part sold by Toyota an original alternator remanufactured? Or are the ones you get from Toyota today an inferior alternator than original denso?

Edit: When I say "my" dealer, I just mean the dealer a few miles from my house. I've only ever used them for their parts counter.

Here's a question. If you have a dead alternator and a dead battery, and you put a new fully charged battery in the car, assuming you only start the car once, how far can you drive on battery power before the battery dies

Probably 25-30 miles in most cases (during day)

Your mention a battery just failed (1,500 miles). Makes me wonder, if your adding white lithium grease to clean battery post, to ward off oxidation. Oxidation inhibits current to and from battery, and the battery will sulfate if not fully charged. Do not use that red stuff in a can, sold a parts stores, especially if greasing post. The red stuff, if gets in between post and clamps, has same effect as oxidation. Allowing vehicle to sit prolonged periods without charging battery, battery will also Sulfate.

I'd charge battery on the bench and see if it gets to 13 volts or better. If so, put back in truck fully charged and test alternator with your volt meter.

BTW: Toyota Denso rebuilt requires rebuilder (by Toyota) to replace certain parts. Denso reman, rebuilder determines what parts. According to Denso tech support!

Interesting to know about the Toyota Denso vs. Denso Denso!

I didn't use the can stuff, I used the grease they sell at the counter in the little soy sauce packs.

My shop just called, it'll be ready with reman Denso tomorrow. I'll find out if they got Toyota Denso or Denso Denso tomorrow when I pick it up. I've said it before, I'll say it again. Toy House is the best Toyota service in Western Florida.

Do not use that red stuff in a can, sold a parts stores, especially if greasing post. The red stuff, if gets in between post and clamps, has same effect as oxidation. Allowing vehicle to sit prolonged periods without charging battery, battery will also Sulfate.
I remember I used that exact stuff you are referring to many years ago, and about 2 months later I began experiencing battery issues. To the point where the truck would act as though the battery was dead, but popping the hood with the key in the ON position and wiggling the ground terminal would make it come alive (even though it was already tight). I double checked everything (grounds, fuses, current, etc..), but after thoroughly cleaning all of that red stuff off it immediately fixed everything and has been running great ever since. I will never touch that stuff again!

$417 out the door for the Toyota 270605026084 part, labor, and tax. Good as new.

Glad you got it figured out, Nspindel! I've read through this thread......rather than a new post, thought I'd ask a quick question re: alternator/ charging light. Last week I had my 2002 LC detailed at a local shop. The LC is pretty new to me and was owned by a college kid previously. The engine was totally filthy, so I asked the detail shop to clean it. I knew I was rolling the dice on that since I've heard stories of engine cleaning resulting in electrical issues. :-(

My charging (battery) light came on the day after I picked up the LC from the detail shop. I got a new battery (needed one and thought if water had gotten in the clamps, cables, etc that might the be issue), but no luck. I have also left the hood up the last 2 days trying to dry anything out.

Just returned from a shop who checked it all out and says it's the alternator.

So, is the consensus that a reman from a Toyota parts shop is the best solution since brand new is not available? I'm looking at ordering this one today:

Also found this reman Denso for a good price as well....https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dnp-210-0565

Thoughts? Thx!

Last edited:
I’m definitely not the expert here. I paid someone else to be the expert. But it certainly sounds like your alternator. How many miles are on the vehicle?

I’m definitely not the expert here. I paid someone else to be the expert. But it certainly sounds like your alternator. How many miles are on the vehicle?
I'm at 223k. Wondering if the alternator was getting old/ weak and possibly when it got wet/ something with the engine cleaning "pushed it over the edge"?

Leaning toward the Denso alternator at this point....

I'm at 223k. Wondering if the alternator was getting old/ weak and possibly when it got wet/ something with the engine cleaning "pushed it over the edge"?

Leaning toward the Denso alternator at this point....
I put in the Denso alternator (from rockauto) about a month ago and no issues so far. Kept my original to refurb in case the denso goes bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom