Brittle plastic Connectors usual suspects (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the middle of doing my timing belt and a hole bunch of other stuff and in doing so I have to disconnect a bunch of stuff and some of the connectors are pretty much cooked to a crisp after 21 years of faithful service inside the engine bay. Is there a known list of all the major connectors parts number available on the forum or elsewhere ? I do realize that the list could be extensive but as this maintenance is by now almost a routine thing, I was hoping that someone would have compiled a list of the connectors to get knowing that they almost always get brittle... Thanks in advance. I have spent a fair amount of searching on this forum and have found a few (knock sensors, ignition and injector, etc.. for the most common I guess) but not some others. I can't seem to find the right diagram on Partsouq.

in the end most often you'll have to look at the connector closely for the number.
I've listed the 5 wire MAF, cam oil control 2 wire, vac switch drivers side, interior AC (all) LX and LC headlight etc..
whenever this happen to me, I buy the 5 pack and make a post. Usually I get them from mouser after long searches, sometimes ALI, and the rest from USA based way overpriced sellers.
There's too many to have a nice list. Also the years of 100s make it even more difficult.

Prices have skyrocketed in the last 18 months. It's insane.

Thanks so much I will take a look. I don't want to look like that guy who doesn't look/search the forum for stuff because I do :) right now since I am doing the starter and have to remove the intake manifold I will replace the knock sensor connectors because god knows I don't want to have to go fish them there again if I can help. the ones that are easy to get I am not overly concerned with although if I can find the most commonly to get brittle ones I will proactively replace them. I am into this engine maintenance ~$700-800 already so another $100 of connectors for peace of mind makes sense AND they lasted 21 years..... :)

in the end most often you'll have to look at the connector closely for the number.
I've listed the 5 wire MAF, cam oil control 2 wire, vac switch drivers side, interior AC (all) LX and LC headlight etc..
whenever this happen to me, I buy the 5 pack and make a post. Usually I get them from mouser after long searches, sometimes ALI, and the rest from USA based way overpriced sellers.
There's too many to have a nice list. Also the years of 100s make it even more difficult.

Prices have skyrocketed in the last 18 months. It's insane.

Where did you post/list these? I see you are a "vendor"

If you don't touch the knock sensor wire house block, they''ll be fine. They hold as good as day factory installed.
Best to just call your local Toyota Dealership, for small orders.
The one that almost always needs replacing, is clipped into starter.
Statrer wire housing connector (1).JPG

Knock sensor
Knock connector 01 LX470 day 8 Spark Plug 205.JPG

Timing cover cam wire bracket
timing belt cover clip.JPG

Last edited:
One thing most folks are unaware of is that you can add the 'prefix' number (90980) to the number on an electrical connector to get the full part number. This holds true for the vast majority (but not ALL) of the connectors we commonly deal with.

Of course.... its not always possible to read/attain the number on a connector since some are destroyed removing them or are just too difficult to access. So your solicitation is a good one. Someone with a lot of time and good spreadsheet skills could compile a list and it would hopefully become a 'sticky', but until then, that's all I can offer.

Try to find the suffix number on the connector and add (90980) in front of it.

Connector IDb.jpg

One thing most folks are unaware of is that you can add the 'prefix' number (90980) to the number on an electrical connector to get the full part number. This holds true for the vast majority (but not ALL) of the connectors we commonly deal with.

Of course.... its not always possible to read/attain the number on a connector since some are destroyed removing them or are just too difficult to access. So your solicitation is a good one. Someone with a lot of time and good spreadsheet skills could compile a list and it would hopefully become a 'sticky', but until then, that's all I can offer.

Try to find the suffix number on the connector and add (90980) in front of it.

View attachment 2629606
someone suggested this video and it's for sure a great resource. I thought I would share! thanks for your reply. I will have to try to look at these connectors. Right now I am mostly concerned about the knock sensor ones since they are so much of a PITA to get to (well impossible is a better word) once the intake manifold is on.

one last question and I know I should have made a note upon removing them but are the wires left and right specifics when talking about knock sensors ? Thanks

one last question and I know I should have made a note upon removing them but are the wires left and right specifics when talking about knock sensors ? Thanks

I'll look in my EWD later when I have time, but I would think 'yes' the wire orientation probably matters....as the ECM needs to recognize the Left/Driver's bank from the Right/Pass side bank. But I don't think the leads will let you interchange...if that is your concern.

I'm guessing your rig is a 2000 model...but please put the year model in your signature line so in the future we will know immediately what we are dealing with.

Edit to Add:

Knock Sensors Wiring.jpg

Last edited:
Yes 2000 and I will add this! Thanks for the answer and suggestion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom