For Sale British Columbia: 1981 BJ42 Beautiful Resto-Mod $60k (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
Color
rgb(0, 255, 247)
Outside Link
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ACS_YqQyc9eJBgipBEAvwaDlItFGB6mQ
Just some minor updates to the listing....

I am the third owner of this 'Sold New in Canada' BJ42. It has been restored over the past two years, I carried out the disassembly with help from our club members and then our expert restorers in the club shared in the restoration process. I have owned this truck since 2007. Hundreds of photos document the process and I have receipts for all labor and materials). This is a numbers matching with three original VIN tags that match the frame tag. Original 3B Diesel Engine and 4spd. Many new parts too numerous to list. Contact me for details.

Build thread here: Tech Day, Saturday Feb 4, 1pm. Georgia gets stripped

Photo library here: Georgia Restoration - Google Drive

Steven Tetu: EBI Cruisers (supplied many OEM parts including some hard to find items) Extremebends.com | Landcruiser Toyota Parts and EBI 4x4 Accessories
Rob Millson: Millson Motorworks: Reassembly and restoration of mechanical
Jason Hugh: Cruisin' Offroad: Rear Frame rebuilding, skid plate, and custom dual-swingout rear bumper. Cruisin Off Road - Your source for quality expedition gear
Some of the rust repair (cut-out and replace with metal) was also performed by Russ and Jay at RustBlasters in Chilliwack.

This is a resto-mod. It has an aluminum tub. The front doors and bib are from pre-'76 FJ40. The front fenders are new OEM Toyota steel. The fender skirts, firewall, top and rear ambi-doors are original to the truck. The windshield is a rust-free replacement from the dry-belt USA (matches '81 original). All rust was cut out and replaced with new steel. All painted surfaces were blasted and primed with Epoxy Primer, then painted with a single stage Cloverdale Armorshield. Truck was re-sprayed after final assembly as well. I hate to put finger prints on it, it looks that good! (it's a land cruiser, I know but that first wheeling trip will be a tough one! :) )

The color is close to a 1970 Toyota Hilux Light green. I wanted a modern paint color that looked good. The Bezel and roof are an 'RV White', which is a light cream which looks good against the green. Black and grey are the other colors that appear on the truck.

This is also a tribute truck as you will see in the photos, which is another reason for the change in color (it is a factory dune beige truck). I've worked in forestry all my life and while I don't know if the USFS (or Canadian for that matter) ever operated the 40 series, if they did, it might look like this.

The results are outstanding in my opinion. The reason I have this for sale is that at this time, is because the truck is at its most valuable state, when the restoration is just complete. If it doesn't sell, then I'll keep her and take her wheeling, but as it looks right now, it is way too nice to scratch up, so I'm torn! Seriously, if you've owned rusty land cruisers for years, it is a real hard adjustment to handle this beauty; she's almost perfect in every way.

Some of the restoration details here.

Disassembly and Prep:
  • Completely taken apart everything off the frame. rolling chassis;
  • All metal parts blasted and then coated in Epoxy primer (Amerlok; same stuff they paint cruise ships and submarines). Green, Black, Grey tinted depending on part color matched
  • Finish paint is Cloverdale Armour Shield (single stage epoxy, it's a very hard paint). Most of this work done by Rust Blasters in Chilliwack. Final re-spray on Vancouver Island after assembly (paint shop local to Rob did the final finishing work, rhino-lined and sprayed underside of roof (no headliner), respray of roof, bib, body after assembly and fitting.
I won't be offended by any 'minty' jokes! 🍺

I added the Garett 2052 turbo 7 years ago to improve performance.

This is a Resto-Mod as you can see, it does not look like a factory 1981 BJ42. 3B 4spd manual steering truck with 370,XXX km, 4.11 gears with new BFG KM2 All terrain 10.5X 33 on powder coated new factory steel wheels, cruises at 100km/h / 65mph all day. Has functioning factory 24V AM Factory radio, factory Dash Glow switch (slow glow, not Super Glow, block heater, and roll-up radiator blind (for stopping cold air flow in frigid temps). The CDN import BJ42's were 24V with 12V headlights.

While I wouldn't consider the BJ42 rare; it is an uncommon truck to find in this condition as not too many CDN BJ42's were restored and in Canada, the rest rotted away, and likely the way this truck is configured; it is pretty close to unique (should be, it's a restomod)

Re-Assembly
Rob Millson (@REDREEFER) performed his wonderful magic on this truck for 8 months. It is stunning in every detail in my opinion and needs to be examined up close to really appreciate his care and attention. The hundreds of photos taken illustrate his meticulous process.

Non-1981 parts but still Toyota are:
  • Bib and Bezel from pre-76 FJ40
  • Front Doors (I've always liked the older doors and now the handle matches the Ambulance doors in the back, which was the start of the changes to the older body parts; the factor front and rear door handles not matching always bothered me :rolleyes:
Non-Toyota Parts are:
  • New BestTop Front Seats (grey); these are really comfy!
  • CruiserCrap center console made in the USA (very nice unit in my opinion) Land Cruiser Security console, steel and lockable for your FJ40, FJ60. I still have the rear heater and factory center console and tubing. Even in Canadian winters, I never needed the rear heater (which came on when the fan was put on (2nd) high speed)
  • EGT Gauge (12V)
  • Mechanical Oil Pressure, Boost, and Water Temp by Autometer (lit with 24v bulbs or LED)
  • Manson SDC210 24-12 volt converter in glove box (12V outlet in center console, and EGT require 12V)
  • OME Heavy Front/Rear suspension (stock leaf replacement giving a 2.5" lift); new shocks and stabilizer.
  • 2.5deg steel castor correction plates installed on front axle
  • Garrett 2052 turbo (#Diesel42 kit); love this upgrade
  • Aqualu Aluminum Tub AQUALU INDUSTRIES INC. | CUSTOM ALUMINUM FABRICATION FOR THE OFF-ROAD INDUSTRY. SPECIALIZING IN REPLACEMENT BODIES AND ACCESSORIES FOR LAND CRUISER, JEEP AND SUZUKI | 1-888-765-6714
  • Racor Fuel/Water separator mounted in factory location on frame rail
  • Warn 24V 8274 Winch mounted to C-Channel bumper (dealer option in 1981)
  • Cruisin' offroad skid plate
  • Cruisin' offroad custom rear bumper with dual gas cylinder assist swingouts: holds 3 jerry cans, has adjustable camp light pole, antennae mount, Hi-lift jack mount, and second class 3 hitch mount in center of spare tire for attaching shovels and tools (or a bike rack if you're creative!)
  • Custom washer bottle holder;
  • Machined aluminum tub rear air vents (factory is a plastic cover)
Everything else, is factory 1981 CDN Toyota Land Cruiser (unless you can spot something else I've forgotten, Let me know! :) )

Asking $60k USD. Why this price? There is more than that in the restoration costs and other professional restorations are being sold in the market in this price range and much higher. I have all of the receipts for the work done and the thousands in new parts. Of course, I'm well aware it's only worth what the market will pay and everything is negotiable. 🍺 If it sells for close to asking; there is a matching tail-gate, and bikini top included in the sale.

Enjoy the photos and post up your comments; if you see something strange, don't hesitate to post up a question! If you are prepared to offer close to the asking price, please send me a PM and we can connect by phone also at 6 oh 4 3 oh 9 5233.

We're just finishing car show season here in B.C., and Georgia has been to several. Dozens of compliments and stories from folks who have owned, do own, wish they owned, wished they didn't sell, dad owned, brother owned, etc, etc. You get the idea, an old Land Cruiser is the best conversation starter! :cheers:

More pics in my sig line....

20190317_174457.jpg

20190317_174525.jpg

20190317_174606.jpg

20190317_174536.jpg

20190317_174508.jpg

Last edited:
More pics. The truck has Collector Plates now (British Columbia).

20190317_174613.jpg

20190317_174615.jpg

20190317_174646.jpg

20190317_175012.jpg

20190317_175115.jpg

And more pics!

20190317_175123.jpg

20190317_175127.jpg

20190317_175201.jpg

20190317_175243.jpg

20190317_175301.jpg

Almost done....

20190317_175440.jpg

20190317_175507.jpg

20190317_175516.jpg

20190317_175532.jpg

20190317_175549.jpg

Last ones.... :)

(Rhino lined head-liner; I was tired of saggy headliners!)

Stainless hardware throughout
20190317_175553.jpg

20190317_175716.jpg

20190317_175727.jpg

20190520_092723.jpg

20190520_092727.jpg

Georgia went offroad since her restoration for the first time! She performed flawlessly and was a real treat to drive! Still for sale, but now it's getting tough! :)
BJ42 Bench Road Oct 26 2019.jpg
BJ42 Cheam Lot Oct 26 2019.jpg

Wow this is a beautiful 42. But you already knew that. I think it is worth every bit of your asking price.

A little more wheeling....

BJ42 on Vedder Oct 24 2020.jpg

bj42 topless.jpg

Just gorgeous.

pretty....why wrong front turn signals?

You didn't ask me of course, but since it's a resto-mod, he probably just prefers the earlier signal look. I know I do. Not sure if I like the rectangle better than the even earlier circle, but they are both better looking than the later bulky square ones.

Correct, it's a Resto-Mod, taking the best of the land cruiser 40 series. I like the older style turn signals and they were available new OEM; I like the older bib and the pre-75 doors as well, all different from an '81 from the factory. But it also has the better parts of newer 40's such as the larger fuel tank under the tub, and that turbo diesel is pretty sweet (but I'm biased of course!) :beer:

interesting build

how did you manage to get collector plates?
I was just honest and disclosed all the mods as 'replacements parts', like the lift, seats, tub, console, etc. 'Bike Racks and attachments' are permitted, hence the custom rear rack is OK. Winch is 'period correct and was a 'dealer option' in 1981. Additional gauges are permitted as are lights for safety, etc. Paint, while not a Land Cruiser color, is a 1970 Hilux Light Green. I disclosed all that on the application. Turbo was available in 1985 on the 70 series, disclosed that as well, so it's within the 'period' for correctness.

Original steering wheel, original radio, no rust, and looking period correct is really what's important. ICBC's collector plate program I'm sure has an unofficial mandate to promote the collector car hobby in BC; not to police the correctness of restorations. So if it looks good like someone put some effort into it as a 'collector', then it qualifies. This is my opinion only, I don't work for ICBC of course.

Took Georgia out for some Vitamin 'D' today. Lots of waves and rubber-necks today and nice to talk with the 4-Runnner owner as were driving down Loughheed! :)

BJ42 Mar 13 2021.jpg

Last edited:
I really like that the color is "US Forest Service green".
Thank you, it's a 'tribute truck'. I'm from British Columbia and the logo is a 'take-off' of our BC Ministry of Forests Logo. In another life-time I fought a few wildfires and have worked in the forest industry for over 30 years now, so this is my way of educating and celebrating my career. I have an old briefcase phone, chainsaw, etc to complete the look at car shows. :)

Installed a Toyota CB this week. Continuing to enjoy driving it. It's not really for sale, but if you really wanted it.... I could always start another project! :)
245456963_4139044029535585_3958795645935835169_n.jpg

Update: Truck is still for sale, but not really. Enjoying it as a summer top-off truck now, light wheeling locally. Willing to sell to the right buyer as I'm always interested in new projects but I'm happy to keep her as well. :beer:

TTT, just in case anyone wants to blow a lot of money this Christmas LOL! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom