Britax car seat in the 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Question for the fellow Britax owners: Which model do you have and where is it positioned in your Cruiser?

Background: Time for the little one to bump up in toddler car seats and I really like the reviews and raves from fellow owners of Britax car seats. But fitting one in the back seat of the 80 seems it might be a challenge. The Graco infant car seat currently does not allow my wife a lot of room in the passenger seat (it is directly behind her).

The smaller Diplomat model might work back there but I think he will outgrow it too quickly (only goes up to 40 lbs., whereas the following go to 60 lbs.). So then we are at the Marathon, Decathlon and Boulevard. The Boulevard seems to be the nicer of the three.

Finally, where does everyone have their car seat positioned? Driver side seems more convenient, but there might be more room for everyone if it is in the middle.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Had the Marathon in our 80, in the center of the 2nd row using the lap belt. It's a big seat. It's in the middle of the 100 now and the booster seats on either side of it are kinda dwarfed by it.

We went with the britax roundabout because it is the smallest one that I could find and it had the best safety rating. Right now it is in the middle of the back seat but it also works well behind the seats In the cruiser? I also put it in our VW Jetta behind the driver or passenger seat and we still have enough space in the front? Just so you know I am 5'10.5 and my wife is about 5'7.

Cheers

We have the Britax husky...It's huge...I have it behind the drivers seat. I'm 6'4" and can still fit. Doesn't give my daughter a ton of room, but she hasn't really complained.

If I can hijack this thread, I wanted to introduce another option, the Radian 65 or 80.
Sunshine Kids Juvenile Products

This car seat is the strongest 5 point car seat i have found bar none. Brittax is nice, but this thing is so much better.
Look at the reviews online, and then find a local retailer. We had to drive 45 minutes here in Houston, because you wont find it at Baby's R Us, or something like that.
This is kinda an exclusive unit, and only select stores have them.
We went to USA Baby. USA Baby

Hope this helps, this fits great in out LX.

The first of its kind, Radian65 was conceptualized and designed around a set of strict safety and performance parameters.

With a steel alloy frame, Radian65 is the strongest, most advanced car seat available, and it's the only one in the world that folds flat.

Radian65 positions the child's center of gravity as low and as far back as possible on the vehicle seat for optimal restraint performance, especially in oblique-angled crashes, which is how most car accidents occur.

Radian65_Champagne.jpg
radian_det_tab_steelframe.jpg

radian_det_tab_65_specs_01.jpg

Britax Roundabout and Marathon both fit fine in the second row passenger seats. They also fit fine in the rear seat of most passenger cars. The Marathon is a good choice because it will accommodate a kid up to 40 pounds. When the kids get much bigger than that, a booster seat works fine.

I believe we have a graco and it is huge. When we take the kids in the 80 our 1 year old sits in the graco which is installed in the center position in the second row with the lap belt. Our 3 year old sits in a booster seat next to her. This also allows a third adult to sit in the second row without straddling car seats.

Will the Roundabout or Marathon fit rear facing? My son will be in a rear facing position for another 7 months so that is important right now.

Brett- Looking into the Sunshine Kids car seats now.

I have a Decathlon in the middle of the second row. Works great, plently of room. I am always leery of putting a baby seat next to the door. I want as much impact zone as possible...

With the Radian, how is the rear facing aspect? I read more than a few reviews stating that in a rear facing position, it makes the front passenger seat unusable unless you are 5 feet tall.

With the Radian, how is the rear facing aspect? I read more than a few reviews stating that in a rear facing position, it makes the front passenger seat unusable unless you are 5 feet tall.

I have not used it rear-facing, but I can test it and let you know.

We got it because of the versatility.

My daughter has Cerebral Palsy, and she is Vietnamese.

Coincidental, she is very tiny. See below:
p6100007-300x225.jpg

This is her last Feburary with Gov Mike Huckabee and his wife:
100_5640-300x225.jpg

She is 7 and only 35 pounds. We will not outgrow this car seat until she is probably a teenager.....

The height, width, strength, and fitment all were considerations.

Ill get some pictures of it mounted forward facing, rearward facing and such and post them.

Recaro all the way!!!! You know how the kids neck gets tweaked when they fall asleep on a longer drive and you find yourself stopping to prop their head up with whatever you can find. Well, it never happens with the Recaro. I hated the Britax for that reason. I own the Young Sport for my three year old and Vivo Booster for my five year old. There is truly no comparable seat for the kids and there are not any more expensive.

100342SLEEKBLK0.jpg
102444COBALT000.jpg

.: RECARO :.

Recaro Baby Car Seats - Recaro Seat Reviews, Free Same-Day Shipping

You have not seen the Recaro have you?

No I haven't, but I'm not sure I would change opinions at this point.

Our Radian is about 45 pounds gross weight because of all the steal in the frame and the supports and such. It is a heavy son of a gun.

Also, the head support for the sleeping kiddos is great on the Radian. No problems there either.

Recaro makes nice stuff, but I'm still sold on these radians...

Those Recaros are in the same price range as the Radian. I just don't like all the extra fluff on the seat. hard to clean. The Radian is very simple and strong. Ill get pic, hopefully you will see what I mean.

I'm not knocking hte Recaros. I'm sure they are great, I just spent a lot of time on seats, (and wheelchairs, and walkers, and other safety things) because of Kirsten, and this was the best unit I could find.

As for people that complain about the price, I say that I cant spent my money any smarter than protecting my daughter.

No I haven't, but I'm not sure I would change opinions at this point.

Our Radian is about 45 pounds gross weight because of all the steal in the frame and the supports and such. It is a heavy son of a gun.

Also, the head support for the sleeping kiddos is great on the Radian. No problems there either.

Recaro makes nice stuff, but I'm still sold on these radians...

The Recaro also has a steal frame and I didn't have to buy any accessories. Anyway the most important issue is the kids and if you are happy with your chose that is what matters. I also have a special needs child so I understand wanting the best.

The Radian is a very good product, don't get me wrong... However when I had them side by side. I ultimately chose the Recaro because of the side impact protection, the head side bolster and the adjustable head rest.

I've got the Roundabout behind the passenger seat. Fits great, the boy loves the view and it installs fast.
He decided to toss his cup of Cheerios the other day and the cover caught them all and was easy to pull off and wipe down.

I have the Marathon in the Highlander. it's a bit bigger, and on the long drive home from Tahoe, he was sitting like a king.

FYI, I got the Roundabout off of Craigslist for 50 bucks, and it's practically new. just look at the year of mfg. on the label. I wouldn't buy one over 4 years old. (no reason, just newer is better I guess)

And there are lots of covers you can buy off of Ebay for these too.

The roundabout will work either forwards , or backwards.

I cant wait till Surf N Turf this year and I get to do the Poker Run with him!

I've had 3 Britax Marathons across the 2nd row. They do fit! I also placed a 2X6 piece of wood straight across the bottom to help raise them to a more level surface. The only place the Britax Marathon does not fit well is in the 3rd row. It doesn't leave much footroom for the child.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom