Bringing Up The Rear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to re-gear my rear from 4.10 to 4.56. What all do I need and where can I get them? I've been on some of our vender's sites such as Slee's, Man-a-fre, etc. I'm not seeing what I think I should need.

Can someone give me an itemized list of what I need to do this right?

Thanks in Advance

Rod

You have to gear both front and rear at the same time. Can't do just one unless you plan on peremently removing the front drive shaft. Otherwise, there will be severe breakage.

You have to gear both front and rear at the same time. Can't do just one unless you plan on peremently removing the front drive shaft. Otherwise, there will be severe breakage.

Well, technically speaking- he only needs to remove the front drive shaft UNTIL he also re-gears the front. Not necessarily permanently.

No, I want to do it right and I knew that both have to be done.

Ahhhh, why didn't you say so.

You sure you want 4.56's and not 4.88's? Not a big jump and this will set you back close to $1000 depending on what gears you get.

Some gear sets come in kits and some you buy the ring and pinion and order the rest from Dan. The rear is the hardest and needs to be shimmed just right and it will take one of 24 available shim sizes. Unless you have done this before, I recommend you pay someone to do it for yo, I did.

In my case. I ordered precision ring and pinion and then called Cdan and ordered the rest. I then pulled both thirds myself and hired someone to do the gear change for $150 per diff.

I would make sure that 4.56's is what you want for sure before starting then research and pick what gears you want and then go from there.

4.56's are what I want. I'm running 33" tires and have no desire to go any larger. I have talked to Dan and he did tell me that it will take one of 47 of the available shim sizes. Maybe that's because I have factory lockers, I'm not sure (learning as I go). I was initially thinking about going with 4.88's but using the truck as my DD I would be sacrificing to much on the highway.

I have no idea what I'm talking about, only had the LC for about a year and fully admit I have a LOT to learn.

That said I find I learn a LOT more when I ask questions and read instead of just reading so, with out further ado. Do you really need to re-gear for a 33" tire. I'm going to be going 35" and wont be re-gearing anytime soon.Sure it is on the list, but a long way down. From what I understand about gearing you want to have lower gears to help offset the weight / radius of bigger tires and give more torque?

Peace,

Baran

Man, (and this is just MOP), but I would not re-gear for 33's.

35's, yes. 33's No.

Also, FWIW, I was the 33's are big enough for me camp- and now I'm already planning my replacement 35's. It's just too easy to go to 35's.

Man, (and this is just MOP), but I would not re-gear for 33's.

35's, yes. 33's No.

Also, FWIW, I was the 33's are big enough for me camp- and now I'm already planning my replacement 35's. It's just too easy to go to 35's.

Would you want re-gear if you had noise coming from your rear and you wanted to tow a 22' Grady White and a 12' Coleman camper? It's not just bacause of the tire size but that does play a big factor when you consider the rest of the equation.

That's why I do!

JMO

There's also 200K on this rear too.

Is your noise from lift or from the gears wearing out?

I know some folks get unlucky and get a gear growl on deccel after even a mild lift.

But if things are just wearing out, then yeah- if you've got to replace it anyway, might as well replace it with something 'better'.

I wonder if you could get a 'junk' third member and have that one built, then swap so you had no down time? I guess you could have no down time by just pulling one third at a time and running in 2WD as well.

The noise was there before I lifted the truck. It's probably more bearing noise too. When I take my foot off the gas the noise stops. I've already changed to synthetic too and still sounds the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom