bringing my diesel hj61 to CA? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kevin in okinawa

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello CA folks! I might be relocating to northern CA from Japan. What is the likelihood that my hj61 with 12h-t diesel will pass CA emissions? Is it exempt because it's 30 yrs old? Will CA register a modded truck, or does it need to be pretty much stock?

TIA for your insight! :)

Well, I looked through the Importing forum and now I'm thoroughly discouraged...I should probably stop buying parts for it, lol. Looks like if I get this CA job I'll have to sell my 61 to some jacka$$ here. Guess I'll have to drive a Jeep Gladiator or something.

I drive a HJ61VX Daily, PM me to chat. (A friend will not let a friend drive a Jeep).
I also have the cable lockers. Hard find, you will later regret not bringing it.

What was the verdict on this. I also have a modded truck and I’m moving to the IE in July. It’s an 85 BJ70 with an aftermarket turbo. Will I be able to register it in CA?

What was the verdict on this. I also have a modded truck and I’m moving to the IE in July. It’s an 85 BJ70 with an aftermarket turbo. Will I be able to register it in CA?
Hello! I ended up in Maryland and do have my truck registered here. You should dm the other guy, Socal, it looked like he has information.

Afraid not. No direct imports of vehicles w/o a federal emissions sticker under the hood, regardless of it's EPA or state emissions status. Since 2017 CA closed the exemption for transferring imported vehicles in from other states. There is no way to proceed w/o engaging in shenanigans or hoping for a really incompetent set of DMV/CHP employees. Totally sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom