Bringing Her Back From The Dead (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In the 1st pic, look down the throat of the carb and press the plunger (Rubber accordian thing at 2 o'clock) and see if you get a squirt of gas - If you're not getting a squirt...

Ignition on as I do this? Or does it not matter?

2nd pic: Remove the nut (red circle or arrow) and (again, coil lead disconnected) crank the engine and see if gas is coming out of the fuel feed line. Should be a strong flow.

Another ignorance question: Where do I disco the coil lead?

3rd pic - what's under the nut -- look into it and see if there's **** on the screen.

Yeah, I've got the sight glass, I just can't tell if there's anything in there or not. It looks like maybe there is, but I'm expecting to see a line at the level of the surface of the pooled fuel. No line, so I'm assuming no fuel and that thinking I see some is just wishful thinking.

If gas is coming out feed tube, probably carb.

If no gas, look at fuel pump, filter - things between carb and gas tank.

Don't mean to be schmuck, :D, but you did put gas in the tank after you drained it... :meh:

LOL. I wish it was that simple. I put in about 2 gallons this morning (small gascan), then another 2 gallons this afternoon just in case the first 2 wasn't enough.

Thanks for the help, guys. I love the internet... :hillbilly:

Ha - same color as mine (and it's had as many washings, too :D).

Certainly worth saving.

Better pic of fuel line nut.
carbline0001.jpg

Ignition on as I do this? Or does it not matter?

-- Ign off

Another ignorance question: Where do I disco the coil lead?

--- You can either discon at the distributor or at the coil itself (the 8mm spark plug wire that goes from the coil to distributor)

Yeah, I've got the sight glass, I just can't tell if there's anything in there or not. It looks like maybe there is, but I'm expecting to see a line at the level of the surface of the pooled fuel. No line, so I'm assuming no fuel and that thinking I see some is just wishful thinking.

LOL. I wish it was that simple. I put in about 2 gallons this morning (small gascan), then another 2 gallons this afternoon just in case the first 2 wasn't enough.

Thanks for the help, guys. I love the internet... :hillbilly:

Don't get discouraged... Help is out there if you hit a brick wall.

Alf

Spike,

You are the man! This info will definitely come in handy when I'm ready to fire mine up..... in 3 months. :crybaby:

-E

Glad you decided to bring the rig back to life. Good luck and I look forward to seeing your progress.

In the 1st pic, look down the throat of the carb and press the plunger (Rubber accordian thing at 2 o'clock) and see if you get a squirt of gas - If you're not getting a squirt...

2nd pic: Remove the nut (red circle or arrow) and (again, coil lead disconnected) crank the engine and see if gas is coming out of the fuel feed line. Should be a strong flow.

3rd pic - what's under the nut -- look into it and see if there's **** on the screen.

Looking down the throat of the carb, I don't see the rubber accordion plunger thing. Everything else looks like your pic, but that's not there. (Unless I'm looking right at it and not seeing it. The wife claims that's common with me.) Here's a couple pics of mine:

526590239_H66Di-L.jpg

526590229_4pEUM-L.jpg

(I love digital cameras.)

Disconnected the fuel line and pulled the coil lead :)doh: - I knew that). Crank her over and I get fuel spurting out of the line, so I guess the fuel pump's good.

So based on my encyclopedic knowledge of absolutely nothing, I'm guessing I have an issue with my carb?

More Pretty Pictures

Here's a few pics of the interior:

526534137_jaspe-M.jpg

526534152_cK49J-M.jpg

526534159_LkaB8-M.jpg

The interior may be the best thing about it. It's in really good shape.

Thing I'm talking about is circled in red -

It's part of the throttle linkage and you can depress it by pulling up on the opposite end of the arm that depresses it (green line).

When you depress that, it pushes fuel through the circuits and you should see squirt in the throat of the carb.

If you're not seeing squirts, there's probably no gas in the float bowl.
carbplung.jpg

Nice truck, btw --

Also, you can pour some gas (FILTERED, through a funnel) into this air horn and fill the float bowl ... To at least get the truck to run .

BUT - BUT -- Make sure the gas going in there is CLEAN (ask me how I know this!) I'd use some kind of Coleman lantern type filter funnel. If you get dirt in there, even tiny tiny spec, you can clog the idle jet and you have disassemble the carb to clean it out (I did this :rolleyes:)
carbhorn.jpg

Thing I'm talking about is circled in red -

It's part of the throttle linkage and you can depress it by pulling up on the opposite end of the arm that depresses it (green line).

When you depress that, it pushes fuel through the circuits and you should see squirt in the throat of the carb.

If you're not seeing squirts, there's probably no gas in the float bowl.

Ooooooooooohhhhhhh!!!! I was working off this picture and looking for a rubber accordion thing where the arrow is pointing:

attachment.php

In other words, nowhere close. I blame your Internet Explorer 8... :flipoff2:

Anyway, I just went out and futzed with it and it's not feeding fuel to the bowl when I depress it. But I know the fuel line is feeding because it was flowing when I disconnected it and cranked it over.

So the fuel line is feeding but it's not getting to the float bowl. So where does that leave us?

Probably a stuck needle seat and, or float.

You can try squirting some carb cleaner into the threaded fitting where the fuel line goes, and tap on the area with a mallet.

Alternately, you can remove the two bolts (in red) and try and flush the float bowl with some carb cleaner. Those are soft threads, there, so be careful when reinstalling the bolts not to cross-thread or over tighten.

If that doesn't work, probably need to remove the air horn of the carb.
carbbolts0001.jpg

Whats that dohicky:hmm: under the Landcrusier emblem next to the light

It's a CB antenna mount the previous owner put on. That and the sh!tty paint job is his legacy on this rig.

Ooooooooooohhhhhhh!!!! I was working off this picture and looking for a rubber accordion thing where the arrow is pointing:

attachment.php

In other words, nowhere close. I blame your Internet Explorer 8... :flipoff2:

Anyway, I just went out and futzed with it and it's not feeding fuel to the bowl when I depress it. But I know the fuel line is feeding because it was flowing when I disconnected it and cranked it over.

So the fuel line is feeding but it's not getting to the float bowl. So where does that leave us?

ck the screen in the fuel line at the top of the carb mine clog the feed with crap after settin I ended up haveing to rebuild the came to make it go away:bang:

Progress Report

SUCCESS!!! She's running!!! :bounce::bounce2::bounce::bounce2::clap::clap:

Here's a big thank-you to everyone who gave advice, with a special thanks to Spike for his contributions. :beer::beer::beer:I couldn't have gotten this far without y'all.:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Long story short, I got it to fire up after putting some fuel into the air horn as Spike suggested. And I have what I'll bet is a new tech-tip on that, too.

To keep from getting fuel all over the place when I tested the fuel feed, I put a ziploc sandwich baggie over the fuel line to catch it, and I used that collected fuel to carefully pour just a little from the baggie into the air horn. That did the trick.

So now she's running again. Yay!!!

But that now brings us to the next issue: the clutch. There's no pressure at the pedal at all -- it just goes right to the floor with no resistance. I'm assuming (hoping) this is a fluid issue and that it'll come back to life after adding some kind of fluid somewhere.

So: Suggestions? Please tell me I'm right and that it really will be this easy to resurrect the clutch...

I'm impatient, so I'm moving forward without suggestions. I think I need to at minimum bleed, and probably completely flush, the clutch system. I have a fresh can of DOT3 brake fluid and a strong sense of purpose. Can someone tell me how to do it?

Congratulations! :cheers:

Too bad I didn't see this earlier - I was just in your area (Coldwater and Burbank), tooling around in my rig testing my converted Air Cond (R12-->R134a) Seems to work pretty good.

Does the truck keep running? If yes, the float/needle probably came unstuck - if it's dying, then it's just running until the fuel in the float bowl runs out, and you still have the problem.

As for clutch, fill the reservoir (small one, next to brake booster) and see if there are any obvious leaks. Maybe pump the clutch pedal -- But there may not be enough pressure anyway until you bleed the system, and this is where the wife, kids, buddy, fellow cruiser head get to share in your joy. Since it sat, the rubber in the clutch slave may have shrunk, rotted, and you're gonna need a new one - but they're realativly cheap. ~$40

Do you need some pix where the stuff is?

Congratulations! :cheers:

Too bad I didn't see this earlier - I was just in your area (Coldwater and Burbank), tooling around in my rig testing my converted Air Cond (R12-->R134a) Seems to work pretty good.

You were right around the corner from me. Come by next time, I owe you a beer. I'll PM my cell. Congrats on the AC, btw. Mine was working way back when ... but that was way back when.

Does the truck keep running? If yes, the float/needle probably came unstuck - if it's dying, then it's just running until the fuel in the float bowl runs out, and you still have the problem.

It keeps running, so I think I'm good to go on that issue. I sprayed a buttload of carb cleaner into the fuel line connection and whanged on it a bit with a rubber mallet. Now she starts and keeps running. :)

As for clutch, fill the reservoir (small one, next to brake booster) and see if there are any obvious leaks. Maybe pump the clutch pedal -- But there may not be enough pressure anyway until you bleed the system, and this is where the wife, kids, buddy, fellow cruiser head get to share in your joy. Since it sat, the rubber in the clutch slave may have shrunk, rotted, and you're gonna need a new one - but they're realativly cheap. ~$40

I've topped it off and pumped away, but no leaks are apparent -- and no pressure. So bleeding the system is next, and yes please on the pix and instructions.

I'm really excited about this. I feel like I'm thisclose to driving it around the block again. I can't wait!

There's a nipple on the rear of the clutch slave cylinder. You'll need a 10mm (6pt is best) box wrench. Fill the Clutch Master cylinder and then crack the nipple on the slave cylinder open. Have someone in the truck depress the clutch pedal and HOLD IT DOWN - now tighten the nipple finger tight. Tell the person inside to release the pedal.

Repeat this until no air is comming out the bleeder nipple.

You can also put a clear piece of tubing on the nipple and place the other end of it into a jar of brake fluid - helps to see the bubbles.

Don't have a better pic, but nipple is in red (there's a rubber cover on mine) .
clutch0001.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom