Builds Bringing an old 40 back to life (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think this is my third post in 3 days. I just bought my fj40 over the weekend and I’m trying to figure it out. Not a super mechanically inclined guy but can figure things out. That being said, here’s what’s going on...

The engine was stuck when I got it. After a few days of MMO, an oil change with new filter, battery and fuel I got it running.

I’m trying to diagnose my problems one by one but I honestly can’t figure out what I have. Its registered as a 1967 but I’m not sure that’s the actual year.

I replaced the plugs that were in it (3/4”) with new plugs of the same gap and length. However, I read that this year engine should be taking 3/8” plugs (bought those too for good measure).

Additionally, it says the 67 should have a two barrel carb. Mine is a single barrel.

If anyone can help me identify what I have so I can start ordering the right parts I would seriously appreciate it.

Also if you live in or around NY I’m open for help hahah

Thanks in advance,
Travis

612EB742-9C96-4A90-8752-35CE18085A50.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
You can search the frame Vin on SOR and get a Date of Manufacture. The brass tag looks like it says ‘66 but that is when it was manufactured. Sometimes they sat at port or at a dealer and were titled as a later truck. When it comes to parts title date doesn’t matter.

Congrats on the ride. Based on the firewall vin, assuming that the vin plate matches the under carriage (frame). She was built March of 1967. The brass tag is from when it was titled. I am assuming that that tag says 68. If it says 66 then It probably is not original to the vin plate. That or the vin plate isnt original. Check the frame number to see if the two vin numbers match.

The engine is a F135. It was produced between mid 1960 to the end of 67. Some models late of 67 had the F145 engine which is why you would think that it should have the double barrel carb.

The later model F135 engines had a single barrel small window D40 carb:
1570816167140.png

It looks as though your carb is not original.

She looks good other than that. Keep posting more pictures!

Congrats on getting it running. That musta felt good to hear it run. Have you driven it yet? If so, did it run good? That carb sure looks to be a non Toyota. If you want a Japanese carb, @65swb45 aka Mark's Off Road in Burbank, CA probably has some he's restored available for sale. He also sells plastic fan blade conversions. Apparently it's not uncommon for the old metal blades to give out and take out the radiator.

@89GASHOG @Krondor edited post to say FJ40. Thanks!

@thebigredrocker hearing it run was great! It seems to be running really well with the carb that’s on it so I may not mess with it. Starts almost immediately after turning the key. I haven’t driven it yet because I don’t have brakes but I did put it in 1st and went a couple feet and same with reverse. Definitely needs some TLC but I’m hoping to get the mechanicals in order quick so I can start restoring it!

Last edited:
3/67 according to SOR's frame number chart:

I would think a 1 barrel carburetor, but not the one that's currently mounted.

Better get a radiator hooked up before running it for too long...

I believe that this year had a different type oil filter. The one I see looks like a later one. Also had oil bath air cleaner.

Cool rig! Welcome to Mud.
There is a lot of help to be found here. Have fun making your 40 into whatever you want it to be. One thing is certain, there it probably someone here who’s already done it and will happily help along the way.

Subscribed. Be sure to post a lot of photos while you continue with getting it running and driving. People here like ohotos and enjoy seeing progress. Enjoy yourself and once you get it road worthy, the smile on your face will be impossible to knock off. Remember too, these old trucks have smells and sounds that may startle or scare you. Those are normal.

Welcome to Mud. We all like pics. Add some of the whole rig. Looks like a nice patina seafoam green. My favorite.

The local junkyard has an FJ40 with the large window carb. Although this isn’t the right carb for mine, I’ll grab it in the event someone else can use it. So, if you anyone needs an Aisan big window (sd40 I believe) I’ll have one!

Slanted heater vent cover. ‘65 part (maybe into ‘66?).

Are you going to remove your hood any time soon? If so, let me know if the passenger side hood hinge slips apart (pin is actually two pins), and if there are small holes in one of the ears of each of the hinges (something that looks like lubrication holes). Thanks. Hijack over! That rigs has great early rig potential. GL. Paul

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom