Bringing a 40 Back to life- (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I'm new here so first, hello!

I currently have an '08 STI and an '84 Alfa Spider for the summer.

My boss has a nice looking FJ40 sitting in his driveway that he parked a year ago.

He's going to let me bring it back to life for a work truck (I'm in real estate development and sales).

I still have to go look at it, and don't even know what year it is yet BUT I was wondering if you all have some tips on getting an old FJ running here in Denver :).

Thanks,
Jeff

battery charger, air for the tires, starting fluid and a couple of gallons of fresh gas.

"I still have to go look at it, and don't even know what year it is yet BUT I was wondering if you all have some tips on getting an old FJ running here in Denver"

Hey Jeff, :flipoff2:

Welcome to MUD.

Go look at it first. Learn everything you can about it down to the frame #.Take pictures. Locate specific problems. Search. Read the FAQ. Re-read the FAQ. Post pictures and ask for specific advice always with pics. Then, if the sickness takes, you'll find a wealth of info and fellow sufferers here. Good luck :beer:

Happy to offer whatever help I can. Pix!

Haha thanks guys.

I'm picking up the keys tomorrow. I'm going to pull the battery to bring home to charge, and I figure Ill pull the spark plugs while I'm there to make sure they dont look like crap.

It was last driven about a year ago, think the gas has turned to kerosene yet??

On these engines after I have a good battery and good spark plugs, can I or should I take the top of the air cleaner off for the carb and poor a bit of gas in to prime it???

Havent worked on a 2F engine before.

I should add FJ40s have always been my dream truck - My dad had one when I was a kid as a fix and flip sort of deal and I always thought it was super bad-ass :)

Thanks for the help, should have more info tomorrow-ish

First of all:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2: ........Okey now that we got that out of the way take alot of pictures and read read read most of your questions will be in the F.A.Q.

Adding a little oil via the plug openings wouldn't hurt either. Or the cranking of the engine should be adequate.

Adding a little new gas to the carb would be good. Then add new gas to the tank asap. Keep diluting the old stuff

Lastly welcome to Mud.

You might be right - I think this thing honestly might just fire up with a charged battery.

I went to see it today.

Some more details:

Its an Orange '79 with Power Steering - which is perfect for what I'll be using it for.

My boss told me the engine was rebuilt and has less than 20k miles on it!

When I put the key in the lights all came on but didnt have enough cranking power to even turn over. SO I pulled the battery so I can charge it up - using the trickle charger from my Alfa :)

There was radiator fluid in the top of the radiator but I think it could take a lil bit more.

The slave cylinder and master cylinder were nice and full of fluid.

Seats are destroyed and dried out - but will be usable.

The body is faded but actually doesnt have too much rust on it - a bit on the fenders and a bit on the bottom of the tub but no holes or anything of that nature - YES ILL TAKE PICS SOON!

QUESTION: Where is the oil dip stick? I was in a hurry but still I could not find it for the life of me!

Any other words of wisdom?

AFter you get it running, replace the rad. fluid as it will get corrosive over time. The red stuff lasts 3 years, while the green can last up to 5. But there's just no telling how long its been in there.

Also, replace the clutch and brake fluid if its dark colored. That means water contamination and will lead to frozen brake cylinders.

At least check the differential fluids and grease the zerks before you drive very far and you will save yourself headaches later.

The engine work was all done maybe a year and a half ago so its all pretty fresh actually. It was last in full service in 04 but a year ago my boss had it towed to a shop and fully rebuilt. He then parked it and left it.

I really think I might be safe on the fluids. It has green radiator fluid.

Can you or anyone show me a picture of where the dip stick should be? It seems like it might be missing???

Nothing went wrong that it got parked after being put back together.

My boss has another truck for daily use and this has been in his family for a long time so it just got parked and has been sitting for most of the year.

Thanks!

Also, what do you guys think about the gas thats in there now? Should I have any problems with it??

I know you guys said to dillute it but what if the tank is full? I dont want to have any problems...

Is it hard to drain the tank on a 79?

Modern gas turns sour pretty quickly. If it starts and runs on it, just dilute it as much as you can as quickly as possible. If no start, it's varnish, and must be drained. Having an extra fuel filter or two on hand as mentioned is definitely a must do.

The battery is on the charger now so hopefully in the next day or so I can hook it up and see if it will crank decently.

Was it an option to have a regular back seat? It doesnt have the jump seats, it has a bench back there..

Thanks,
Jeff

As far as the dipstick and the 2F in general, if you are familiar with the Chevy Thriftmaster Six from the early Fifties, it's pretty much basically the same motor. If the dipstick is gone just straighten a wire coat hanger for temporary use.

Got any pics of the Alfa?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom