For Sale Bring a trailer j40 ad (Portland) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am irked by some of the language...J40..."Build A Trailer"..lol

This truck we well photographed. I won't be surprised to see it do better than expected. Whoever shot the pics did a great job.

I was pretty impressed to see the compression check included...very thorough and well done.

It went for $40K - Exceeded even my expectations. Superb marketing at work! I have a built 69 on BaT right now that absolutely makes this 71 look pale by comparison. We will see where it ends on Monday May 20 - 1969 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40

It went for $40K - Exceeded even my expectations. Superb marketing at work! I have a built 69 on BaT right now that absolutely makes this 71 look pale by comparison. We will see where it ends on Monday May 20 - 1969 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
The gunmetal color of the rig is very appealing; the cleanliness & tidiness of the vehicle throughout is attractive; but it was the photography that sold this vehicle for the $40K. I'm believing that strongly.

@overton : as I'm a professional at this, and have long been a professional at this, I'm able to photo any one of your future vehicles along the same lines this '71 gunmetal FJ40. However, in many ways, I can do even better. I am knowing I can help you make any of your vehicles look equally enticing as the '71 here, or even more so.

We could offer a series of sort, walk-around and action videos as well.

I'd like to partner with you. ... to offer a really nice & effective, polished & professional service that you can provide to your clients; that by you & me working together - I can provide to you.

My hunch is that your clients hold onto their vehicles, and that they're spread-out throughout the country ?
Or is this not exactly the case ? ... I'm not yet sure if logistics would be the hindrance.

msp_MarcStPierre-Copyright2009_GTX1-Prototype_09-06101sm.jpg

msp_MarcStPierre-Copyright2009_GTX1-Prototype_09-06105sm.jpg

msp_MarcStPierre-Copyright2009_GTX1-Prototype_09-06102sm.jpg

msp_MarcStPierre-Copyright2009_GTX1-Prototype_09-06104sm.jpg

msp_MarcStPierre-Copyright2009_GTX1-Prototype_09-06103sm.jpg

~Marc

I've often thought about trying to build a network of professional photographers around the country. All the vehicle I own are located in Iowa. My consignment vehicle however are located all over the US and I have to rely on the sellers for photography. Sometimes the pictures are good and sometimes it's a struggle. They are never this calibre.

I'd love to have photos like those above for all my marketing but I'm not sure there's enough money to be made in the somewhat thin-margin business of selling vintage vehicles. The budget for photography and/or video is not huge but I would certainly be willing to discuss the potential. Photos sell the vehicle. There are endless pitiful examples out there so there is certainly a need! - Probably best to continue this discussion via a private conversation or you can email me at overton@aol.com

Hard to believe this 71 pulled 40k. It is a nice one, but no hard top, doors, jump seats. For a cruiser so far away from stock, it’s perplexing it went that high. I think winner overpaid? Even with exceptional photos. Hmm, head scratcher.

Hard to believe this 71 pulled 40k. It is a nice one, but no hard top, doors, jump seats. For a cruiser so far away from stock, it’s perplexing it went that high. I think winner overpaid? Even with exceptional photos. Hmm, head scratcher.
Your scratched head is not the only one. ... (the tires don't even match)

I think that’s what they call a “whiskey bidder”

I also noticed the bumperettes don’t match, the left one has 2 extra holes, Right has the one correct stock hole in middle. Side mirrors aren’t stock.
The paint finish on both glove box door and gauge cluster cover are sloppy. Cluster cover paint isn’t a color match to glove box door. Usually they use the same color to paint glove box door, ashtray & cluster cover bc it looks better matching. I know These are little things, but it’s mind boggling they bid this one so high. Personally I wouldn’t bid anywhere near 40k for the overall rig & quality.

This rig is also missing rear reflectors, the smaller diameter tail lamp next to bumperettes. The list goes on.
See attached pic..

FB32DEE9-7467-4DE8-B10C-D5EC8A9CFD44.jpeg

My guess, and honest opinion, is that this gunmetal gray '71 is realistically worth around $12K, and that $15K is really, really pushing the envelope of its actual worth. For a good, fair deal to the buyer, I'd say $10.5-11K would've been doable & appropriate.

What transpired during this BAT auction - just blows one's mind. It's as if someone, who knows not at all about vintage Land Cruisers, was inwardly attracted to the 'romantic' appearance of the vehicle, via the seemingly professional made, enticing pictures, and that this someone has a large stockpile of disposable income - and impulsively bought the thing, at the price that he did, based on his own anxiety that the competing bidder would out-bid him (an obvious taboo scenario to him during those final moments) - with his own money being no objective to the equation.

Just sayin.'

:eek: unbelievable this went for $40k. I saw went it first went up and thought 15K tops. The test drive actually made me dislike it more...I think @Skydog is completely right, the photos and disposable income. The tires not matching for $40k...wow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom