Brighter Headlights for FJ60??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IPF sells a free form headlight that uses the reflector to create the light pattern leaving the lens completely clear. They say this boosts light output by something light 30%. I have a set of square lights for an older car and I didn’t realize I had ordered them but was more than happy when they arrived. Never been able to find the same IPF FF in round for the fj60.

I have a set of no-name FreeForm Reflector 7" round headlights in grandad's '73 SB-SS. My dad put them in, no idea even where he got them. I'll dispute that 30% claim if these are anything to judge by. They're decent, but they're not that good.

I have a set of no-name FreeForm Reflector 7" round headlights in grandad's '73 SB-SS. My dad put them in, no idea even where he got them. I'll dispute that 30% claim if these are anything to judge by. They're decent, but they're not that good.

Could very well be the difference between no name and IPF. I know my rectangular FF IPFs do in fact throw out a lot more light than their traditional cut lens H4 counterparts.

That was a ? in my head too. The other ? is that dad didn't install them with relays, which given that the wiring appears to be 14 ga. it isn't the problem that it would be with a Toyota's 18 ga. wiring.

I just picked up a set of these from www.dapperlighting.com
View attachment 2158265
They are the OE7 series headlights. LED Projector design. Ican't wait to see how they compare to my other Dapper headlights.
Did you like these headlights, Mace?

I just picked up a set of these from www.dapperlighting.com
View attachment 2158265
They are the OE7 series headlights. LED Projector design. Ican't wait to see how they compare to my other Dapper headlights.

Did you have to modify the headlight buckets to properly fit these lights? Is there sufficient clearance for a plug and play install? Thanks.

I have the V2's in my 60. No bucket modifications necessary..
I have not tried the OE7 yet

Look, you need to do wire mods and install a relay to use these H1/H4 bulbs in any 60 series unless you vehicle has been previously modified the lights will work for a short time before you start to blow stuff up. Do your research and contact the manufacturer such as the Hella Tech Dept or just "plug and play" and learn the hard way. Hee Haw

You need to do wiring mods to run LED lights. An H4 bulb is plug and play with the old harness (FJ60....H1/H4...FJ62)and as long as you run a standard 55/60 watt H4 bulb you won’t have any issues. However you will get better light output if you do upgrade the harness and relays. And if you start running 100w bulbs you likely won’t pop fuses but your wiring harness might have issues. A pair of 100 (200 watts total) watt bulbs draw about 15 amps.

****if your old 3 prong connectors are crumbling already and the spade terminals inside them are corroded then they should be replaced regardless of what bulbs you are running. The corrosion will result in more resistance and heat which will cause a bad connection and can result in the connectors melting.****

***further caveat. These trucks are all old now. Some harnesses however have had easier lives than others. So if your harness at the lights is all stiff and crumbly then by all means put in one of the harness kits. There will be no negative to this. If your harness is still in good shave the wires still look like new then you will be fine with standard 55/60 bulbs. But you will always benefit from a newer harness because you can run isolated relays with heavier gage wire which will get more voltage to the lights and you will get more output.”

my 84 has been running 7” Hella inserts with Sylvania 55/60 watt bulbs for 3 years now on the stock harness and no issues. I do see about a 1 volt drop Between the battery and the lights and this is undoubtably due to the older wiring. It’s on the list

Last edited:
Looks like a whole boatload on back order for the US market.

Toyota Japan is probably wondering WTF parts for 40 year old vehicles suddenly had a run on them. :lol:

View attachment 2189525
If you can’t get one locally, let me know and I can easily get you a set and ship it down to you.

Sorry for being such a late comer to this thread but, as an expert on part numbers, would you know what the equivalent part number would be for a right hand drive vehicle (driving on the left)?

Thanks

Sorry for being such a late comer to this thread but, as an expert on part numbers, would you know what the equivalent part number would be for a right hand drive vehicle (driving on the left)?

Thanks

They are side-agnostic since you can adjust the vertical and horizontal angles to suit your specific driving side-specificity. 7” round lights on Toyotas are all adjustable.

They are side-agnostic since you can adjust the vertical and horizontal angles to suit your specific driving side-specificity. 7” round lights on Toyotas are all adjustable.

Thank you. That's good to know. Most 7 inch lights I have come across are sided so that they dip to whichever side you are driving on. Toyota obviously chose to swing both ways!

havent seen those lights. How do they do that? Do they rotate something in the reflector to reverse the light cut off?

I have looked into this a bit more and I am not so sure that these lights can be used in RHD vehicles. It is the pattern in the glass that changes how the light is directed, not the adjustment screws. Here are photos of two Koito lights, one for LHD and one for RHD. You can see how the glass differs.

Screenshot_2020-08-15-17-31-47-024.jpeg

Screenshot_2020-08-16-08-30-16-932.jpeg

Apologies. I turned my phone and realized you were in Scotland and not in the US where this part number remains market-specific.

-60P70 will not be strictly legal but can be massaged.

Best option: aftermarket in your region or the correct Toyota part for your application.

Apologies. I turned my phone and realized you were in Scotland and not in the US where this part number remains market-specific.

-60P70 will not be strictly legal but can be massaged.

Best option: aftermarket in your region or the correct Toyota part for your application.

No problem.

I wondered if you had any knowledge of how to 'massage' the 60P70 for RHD applications. Is there a signifier for RHD markets do you know?

The other thing that puzzles me is that this part number is not recognised on the usual websites, so it is not possible to do a reverse search.

Screenshot_2020-08-16-10-26-34-657.jpeg

@Onur looking at a previous thread on this subject, you posted this photo.

Reading this suggests that if you order the original sealed beam units, Toyota substitutes the more modern H4 upgraded lights. Would that be right? Or are the original lights still available as well? This could be my next line of attack with my dealer

Screenshot_2020-08-16-11-13-39-289.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom