Brighter Headlights for FJ60??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sweet! You can change colors too!

Ok so I finally got around to photographing the results from the new headlights. These are Koitos from DS. Great set of lights and you can switch the bulbs when needed. Its all in the lenses (housing) anyways I guess? Also upgraded the wiring harness to an IPF relay harness. Loving the results. Started to adjust them according to multiple lighting people. Hopefully Im doing it right. haha

IMG_2498.jpg

IMG_2499.jpg

IMG_2500.jpg

Shopping around for some Cibie H4 lenses. Found some on amazon that have been linked here for $50 ea.
Stern has them listed for about $180 for a pair. I've seen some on eBay for $1000. wtf?

Why the vast differences in pricing? The Amazon units look legit, lots of reviews too.

Shopping around for some Cibie H4 lenses. Found some on amazon that have been linked here for $50 ea.
Stern has them listed for about $180 for a pair. I've seen some on eBay for $1000. wtf?

Why the vast differences in pricing? The Amazon units look legit, lots of reviews too.

Get these instead.

Get these instead.

Good talking with you Alex. I've read about those Koitos searching the headlight threads.

I already have an upgraded headlight harness and have been running the Hella lenses with some hot bulbs. I'm going a little different direction on a project and have been sold on the Cibie lenses based on comments/reviews and wanting to try something else. Are the Koitos available as just the lenses?

May still get the Cibie's out of curiosity, but still curious about the differences in pricing.

The Cibies are better than the Hellas in my experience, but I haven't compared to the Koito. One thing the Koito has vs the others is a glare shroud in front of the bulb which is a nice detail. The pattern appears symmetrical however so you won't have the convenient upward splash on the right side for illuminating roadside signs.

I've also never driven behind the Koito's, but I have 100,000 miles+ behind what I feel are the worst Hella's made (large rectangular used in '84-'89 Mini's) which is not to say that they're bad by any means, and the 7" Cibie's are better. They're as good as my first set of Polish 7" round H4's that I bought used 30+ years ago and probably are better.
Looks like that set of Koito's comes with a relay system, that's a bonus.

I've also never driven behind the Koito's, but I have 100,000 miles+ behind what I feel are the worst Hella's made (large rectangular used in '84-'89 Mini's) which is not to say that they're bad by any means, and the 7" Cibie's are better. They're as good as my first set of Polish 7" round H4's that I bought used 30+ years ago and probably are better.
Looks like that set of Koito's comes with a relay system, that's a bonus.

Already have a set of relays...and wiring. Just need good glass.

You do realize those are almost $40 more than MSRP from any Toyota dealer?

Boggles my mind what people fall for these days.

I do, I purchased from the UAE for $50 shipped each, but I waited for over a month.

Some people just feel more comfortable buying from a domestic source and paying a little more.

I will mention it again, the Hella's are very nice but the IPF(warning they might have changed the pattern in the last few months) with a Hella bulb is MUCH nicer, the pattern of the IPF is just better IMOP. I would like to get ahold of a set of Cibie's, had a set 15+ years ago and LOVED em

Agreed. IPF much nicer than Hella. Hella is decent but ipf made better and better optics.

No. What I am saying is that this kit is available for $45 from your local Toyota dealer.

In the US.

Why would anyone pay $80?

That’s awesome. I didn’t know that. You’re the man with all the info.

No. What I am saying is that this kit is available for $45 from your local Toyota dealer.

In the US.

Why would anyone pay $80?
For those with upgraded wiring harness........
Already have a set of relays...and wiring. Just need good glass.
Is there a glass only option available?

Last edited:
For those with upgraded wiring harness........
Is there a glass only option available?
Buy the Cibie's or buy the Koito's and don't use the supplied wiring.

Back to my original question, can anyone explain the broad range of pricing on the Cibie's?
I don't want to buy some knock off junk.
Cibie' availability has long been spotty in the US. I think the gougers are hoping that someone will pay that because they've been looking and haven't found any. There may also be the old vs. new angle. I didn't look at the auction very closely, were they new or used? $1000 for an old, original set with both pedigree and appropriate patina wouldn't be unreasonable for some of the vintage touring cars that I've worked on. Not when each of their 2 carbs cost $10k a piece, when you can find one!

Back to my original question, can anyone explain the broad range of pricing on the Cibie's?

I don't want to buy some knock off junk.
Not really sure about the broad price range but I was able to get the set from Amazon that came in Valero boxes (which I believe they are the US distributor. Nice, heavy, looks to be full glass and have the cibie logo in the front of the glass. Not the best packaging in the world but they came in one piece. Been snowing so often here I have not had the chance to swap seeing as we have a 1 car garage. If I ever get a few days of sunshine where I can pull the truck into the garage not covered in snow I will throw them on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom