Builds 'Brightening' a Fj60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alright so I told myself I wouldn't rebuild knuckles until they dripped grease on driveway. I saw a couple baby drips and figure its best to do it before SAS4. So I jumped into it and currently watching the paint dry and waiting on calipers to show up. Nothing new here. Marlin seals, rebuild kit from @cruiseroutfit misc new bits from Toyota and extended brake lines. And a lot of masking.

hmLz1PQl.jpg

WlwJSMQl.jpg

GWJfNTwl.jpg

8uuXPo1l.jpg

ANqRr8Rl.jpg

0tCsirwl.jpg

4duIudJl.jpg

ozSRFhBl.jpg

BP0AgInl.jpg

XVGtjfsl.jpg

dosapial.jpg

6F1utz6h.jpg

uONAgRah.jpg

Nate, where did you source your reman'ed calipers and extended brake lines from?

Nate, where did you source your reman'ed calipers and extended brake lines from?
Everything came from partsouq except for calipers which were procured at local dealer. If you are stock height, get the stock length hoses for the axle to chassis. Here's what I ordered:

Part NumberDescriptionQty
90080-94070Rear Axle to Chassis Brake Hose (extended hose from Tundra)
1​
96940-33805Front Axle to Chassis Brake Hose (originally for rear on fj60/62)
1​
96940-39855R/L Front Axle to Dust Plate Brake Hose
2​
47341-60031Right Front Axle to Brake Dust Plate Hard Line
1​
47343-60021Left Front Axle to Brake Dust Plate Hard Line
1​
96991-10080Clips for Soft Brake Lines
4​
47730-60021-84Front Caliper, Remanufactured - Right
1​
47750-60021-84Front Caliper, Remanufactured - Left
1​
47748-60010Anti-rattle clips
2​
90240-06158Caliper Pins
4​
90468-12003Brake Pad Clips
2​

Last edited:
Everything came from partsouq except for calipers which were procured at local dealer. If you are stock height, get the stock length hoses for the axle to chassis. Here's what I ordered:

Part NumberDescriptionQty
90080-94070Rear Axle to Chassis Brake Hose (extended hose from Tundra)
1​
96940-33805Front Axle to Chassis Brake Hose (originally for rear on fj60/62)
1​
96940-39855R/L Front Axle to Dust Plate Brake Hose
2​
47341-60031Right Front Axle to Brake Dust Plate Hard Line
1​
47343-60021Left Front Axle to Brake Dust Plate Hard Line
1​
96991-10080Clips for Soft Brake Lines
4​
47730-60021-84Front Caliper, Remanufactured - Right
1​
47750-60021-84Front Caliper, Remanufactured - Left
1​
47748-60010Anti-rattle clips
2​
90240-06158Caliper Pins
4​
90468-12003Brake Pad Clips
2​

Thank you, sir. I'm stock height now, but not for long! Just got day-drunk enough to pull the trigger on the lift, so I'm gonna need the extra length.

I dig that KTM! How is maintenance on it? Just regular service/valve adjustments or do they have issues?

Been kinda on a sprint to wrap up oil leaks now that I have a bike thats not my track bike. Did side cover gasket last night. Again, suprisingly easy, just dirty. I spend most of the time cleaning. Curious to see how the book's 35in-lb rating holds up for leaks.

GnQbIhX.jpg

cwuW3pF.jpg

Nate, did you do new bolts for your side cover? Seems the originals are disco, but I figured if anyone knew a replacement PN, it'd be you.

Nate, did you do new bolts for your side cover? Seems the originals are disco, but I figured if anyone knew a replacement PN, it'd be you.
My originals were in great shape, so I reused. They are in fact NLA as well is the supercession. You're looking for an M6 with captured washer, 12mm length. Let me stretch my fingers and see what I can come up with!

UPDATE: @mtbrown619 This one should do the trick! I usually order singles before I confirm, but this is a captured wave/lock washer, M6 in 12mm length.

91611-B0612

Last edited:
My originals were in great shape, so I reused. They are in fact NLA as well is the supercession. You're looking for an M6 with captured washer, 12mm length. Let me stretch my fingers and see what I can come up with!

UPDATE: @mtbrown619 This one should do the trick! I usually order singles before I confirm, but this is a captured wave/lock washer, M6 in 12mm length.

91611-B0612
You’re a wizard. Now get back to quidditch practice.

how have i not seen this build yet? I just spent the last day and a half reading this thread. I am in LOVE with this 60 and your build up. unbelievable. keep updating this please.

Having fun going through your thread and really liking the detailed parts finds with associated part numbers. And now I read you are also an early 911 guy. Pretty cool right there. I have been an early 911 owner for a long time and thankfully got in way before the bubble. Still have them and have cycled through a couple others. 69 hotrod is my go to - you hip to R Gruppe?

I am new to 60 ownership and I find this group to be a lot like early 911 owners (well, the older school guys anyway). I got a really low mileage rig and am going through it now cleaning 35 years of crud out of it and seeing what we have and what needs to be done going forward. Really cool rig and am having a ball with it. Sadly, the salt season has begun, so it is safely parked until Spring. Thanks for all your efforts documenting the work. Sure will help a lot of us get to know these rigs.

Cool to see SAS in the San Juans. Missed you guys by a week as we got to Telluride 8/16. Would have been cool to see you trek through town. Been going out there for 30 years or so and it has changed a lot since then. We have a 79 CJ-5 out there that has been all over the mountains of CO. It's seen Black Bear Pass more than several times. I think I have done it at least three times - no more though. Very little room for error. We'll be out there for a couple months again next year just like this. I'll try to overlap SAS.
Not sure how I missed this! Hip to it....besides knowing about R Gruppe and what it entails -- that is it! Not a member or anything. '72 911T was my baby and sold it before the bubble and regret selling (aside from the fact I would probably would not have purchased a cruiser when I did). Are you a member? I'm very curious to see more of your coupes. My buddy does work over at Emory Outlaw and that has kept my appetite satiated from afar...one day I shall have another, very few cars have checked the boxes an early 911 has.

Funny you mention similarities, it's definitely the older school guys. Early cars bring a certain crowd especially if they drive them often and hard. The concourse crowd is something else entirely, ha! You'll have to start up a thread on your 60, very curious to see this truck in question, very low mileage is always fun to see. Plan to keep it original?

Swing out in August! We are all cleared for that trip - if anything in your Cj-5, its always a pleasure seeing a nice truck, no matter what it is.

how have i not seen this build yet? I just spent the last day and a half reading this thread. I am in LOVE with this 60 and your build up. unbelievable. keep updating this please.
Thanks! It's funny, the truck is sorta stock, just a lift and wheels/tires with some little changes like the dash and steering wheel, but all the freshening up feels like so much more. This will definitely keep going, I don't have plans of selling...ever. I have been eyeballing a 40 next but that's when I find the right truck. Until then, I'm shopping for a bumper and some lighting and anticipating for the inevitable engine refresh or swap.

Last edited:
Thanks! It's funny, the truck is sorta stock, just a lift and wheels/tires with some little changes like the dash and steering wheel, but all the freshening up feels like so much more. This will definitely keep going, I don't have plans of selling...ever. I have been eyeballing a 40 next but that's when I find the right truck. Until then, I'm shopping for a bumper and some lighting and anticipating for the inevitable engine refresh or swap.
I think thats why i like it so much. you have kept it mostly stock, but just refreshed a lot of components with OEM stuff. maybe i am a nerd, but i love these detailed things. I guess i see so many build threads that people are chopping it up and putting bigger axles in it, its nice to see a build like this.

Last edited:
I think thats why i like it so much. you have kept it mostly stock, but just refreshed a lot of components with OEM stuff. maybe i am a nerd, but i love these detailed things. I guess i see so many build threads that people are chopping it up and putting bigger axles in it, its nice to see a build like this

That is why I dig it too, it's pleasing to the preserver in most of us. Also, I can say @mattressking is one of the most expensive friends I have had.... due to his influence. I don't even want to know how much I have spent on OEM parts. :princess:

Just made it through most of your thread back to front and wow this truck has been a labor of love. I just had my second wheel cylinder blow in the rear of my 62 so I’m gonna treat myself to OEM lines at the top of this page and wheel cylinders. Color me inspired.

Excited to check the truck out at SAS. Hit me up if you ever swing through South Bay LA and we’ll grab a beer.

That is why I dig it too, it's pleasing to the preserver in most of us. Also, I can say @mattressking is one of the most expensive friends I have had.... due to his influence. I don't even want to know how much I have spent on OEM parts. :princess:
I'm pretty sure my credit card is in a melted heap in the corner of my garage after this past week and re-reading the thread.

Says the skier/mountain biker with fresh gear every season..........:cool:

Just made it through most of your thread back to front and wow this truck has been a labor of love. I just had my second wheel cylinder blow in the rear of my 62 so I’m gonna treat myself to OEM lines at the top of this page and wheel cylinders. Color me inspired.

Excited to check the truck out at SAS. Hit me up if you ever swing through South Bay LA and we’ll grab a beer.
Will do! Shoot me a pm with your number, I cruise through LA monthly it seems up to Ventura area.

I'm pretty sure my credit card is in a melted heap in the corner of my garage after this past week and re-reading the thread.
Try one of the metal cards, won't happen as easily :rofl:

Not a whole lot going on - which is pleasant. PRP seals for the trunk, waxed the paint around the seals prior to install and readjusted latches. No more squeaks now. Also ordered the door wrench to adjust the doors, finally aligned the driver door - opens/closes much nicer now. Took a trip to Hawaii for some remote work, I could really get used to this lifestyle. Found a rotted 60 next to my place while in Hawaii also - nothing much left on it - I was tempted to take the 60/40 front seat but I didn't attempt the shipping. Came back and met @Rockymtnreaper and @Godfather90 at KOH. Truck otherwise has been pleasant, no issues. Put in some more work on the airhead - getting close to done, really happy how it has evolved, I'm just as mental with genuine parts on it as I am on the truck. Simultaneously rebuilding a slant 6 for a 67 A100....loaded with intense masking work @TheNeek

More cruiser related - ordered up some small bits - door latch/lock silencer pads, Koito box of taillight bulbs (stupid indulgence) 70 series fog switch and my favorite bit - bellcrank assy from an Hj60. This will allow me to use the factory pedal and adapt to a throttle cable when I opt for a motor swap.

droyJGyh.jpg

BjHfQzhh.jpg

0E3jhi6h.jpg

12O0hplh.jpg

Ajr7EeYh.jpg

WGFb0Foh.jpg

0nG3N96h.jpg

qJ0j3KTh.jpg

tM6D7Myh.jpg

PuFqkaIh.jpg

SXvSSish.jpg

d0RRLHih.jpg