Bright angel campground, Grand Canyon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

murf

Lifer
Threads
Anyone been to the Bright Angel campground in the Grand Canyon by way of the South Rim? Question is what facilities are at the campground. Besides water, shade, and restrooms, is there food and drink available? Rumor has it drinks and maybe even a bag lunch.

Going on October first. I've been down through Havasupai about 20 years ago and really looking forward to this trip but this would help me determine what to pack/expect.

Thanks in advance.

skunks.

many, many many skunks.

tree climbing snucks

sneaking around your sleeping bag skunks.

cute stinkly little spotted skunks. you will get no sleep as they inspect everything you brought with you.

hMMMM....I better not startle them then i guess.....

thanks for the reply

Sounds like tomato juice should be on the list.

Despite the ratio of skunk to hiker, no one got sprayed. I'll never forget looking over at my buddy & seeing a skunk traipsing around her sleeping bag. :eek: We just held very very still and let them do their investigating thing.

Including climbing a tree to inspect the clothing we'd hung on a line to dry, and rattling the pans we'd heated water in.

There didn't used to be anything available at Bright Angel campground, however, its been years since I've been there. Phantom Ranch, about 1/2 mile away, has a restaurant, canteen, lodge, etc.

Grand Canyon tours, accommodation, vacation. Hotels, camping, cabins, lodges. - Phantom Ranch

What he said...
BA CG has no services of any kind... if you get there early enough you could score a nice site with tree shade..I would def stop at Phantom Ranch for some cold beer and food... then head out to BA CG and set up camp...

I think the North rim halfway down to the bottom has some of the most spectacular views...

My .02 cents

On the north rim (and I believe on the south rim as well) there is plenty of primitive (read: free and without a bunch of yahoos) camping accessible via yer LC.
:cheers:

Depends on where and when...

Camping in the park on the North Rim is restricted to established campgrounds. Camping fees are in addition to entrance fees, and are charged per night. Campsite reservations fill up fast; make reservations as far in advance as you can.
From: Grand Canyon National Park - Campgrounds - North Rim (U.S. National Park Service)

Except:
A backcountry permit is required for:

• overnight hiking
  • overnight horseback riding
  • overnight cross-country ski trips
  • off-river overnight hikes by river trip members
  • overnight camping at rim sites other than developed campgrounds
  • overnight camping on the North Rim during the winter season
From: Grand Canyon National Park - Backcountry Permit (U.S. National Park Service)

On the other hand:
Dispersed Camping
Is permitted in the national forest outside the park; there are restrictions, however. Inquire at North Rim Visitor Center inside park, or at Kaibab Plateau Visitor Center at Jacob Lake (928) 643-7298. In winter contact the North Kaibab Ranger District, Kaibab National Forest, P.O. Box 248, Fredonia, AZ 86022 or call (928) 643-7395.
From: Grand Canyon National Park - Campgrounds - North Rim (U.S. National Park Service)

Scorpions. Lots and lots of scorpions. One landed on my forehead and bit me. That hurt. The skunks have been mentions, but the squirrel/chipmunks are a bigger PITA as far as getting into packs.

You can buy cold drinks at Phantom Ranch. If you want to eat there you need to reserve the meal well ahead of time. You used to be able to get icecream bars there too.

There are pit/flush toilets, I can't recall which. There is good potable water too. The creek is nice to cool off in. The sites are pretty darn close together so expect ZERO privacy. It is a good stop over place and a good choice for someone's first hike into the inner canyon. Clear Creek is also a nice destination that would use the Bright Angel Campground as a layover day.

If you are spending two nights there and hiking from the South Rim, do a day hike up toward the North Rim as there are some neat side canyons to hike up.

Have fun.

Thanks, I appreciate your input. Yes, we will be hiking up to Ribbon Falls on the second day.

Damn, I just went scorpion hunting in my shed this weekend and got a couple. Maybe I need to bring my blacklight mini led flashlight.

Thanks, I appreciate your input. Yes, we will be hiking up to Ribbon Falls on the second day.

Damn, I just went scorpion hunting in my shed this weekend and got a couple. Maybe I need to bring my blacklight mini led flashlight.

The rangers down there usually have a black light to go hunting with campers. You will like Ribbon Falls. It is really nice. Look for monkey flowers.

The new crop of graduate students will be here in mid-August and we'll be taking them up to Flagstaff for volcano stuff and the Grand Canyon for tectonic history stuff. I'll be taking them down to a little bit below Indian Gardens to show them the "Great Unconformity". A place where you can with the span of your hand cover almost 2 billion years of time between the dark schist of the inner canyon and the Tapeats Sandstone.

Ive always been interested in Geology somewhat and dont want to miss out on the unique interest that I understand alot of canyon hikers admire which are the different layers of rock while traveling up/down the canyon. Any basic websites you recommend to the very casual geo-hiker?

BTW, I recently got finished reading a book about the original canyon explorer John Powell which was facinating. These guys were very tough and amazing. Going through the canyon in river boats with oars and barely making it out alive (while some didnt).

Powell was the consumate record-gatherer and took copious notes of the geology, plant, and animal (scarce) life. I think some of his notes actually made it through.

Lots of stuff on the web. Check the Nation Park Service website for some. Go to amazon. I strongly recommend getting a small "road log/guide book" type of reference book and carry it with you

Murf, One of the best training areas nearby is Mt Ord Starts at 3500' ends at the tower at 7100' with the same rate of accent as canyon. Fully knowing the challenge ahead of time will make it most enjoyable.

Are you walking the road to mt ord, or a trail?

Thanks

My wife uses both when training for rim to rim (S to N)and I help set up the training.:hillbilly:

Trail
3250 - 7100
7.0 miles
13% grade

Road
4000 - 7100
6.5 miles
12% grade

Thanks Phil, In the meantime Im doing Camelback a couple times a week and some eliptical. Just want to get the muscles a little ready. Im not doing any crazy rim to rim endurance stuff so just local conditioning so I can actually enjoy the hike without too much huffing and puffing. Im trying to eat better also before the trip and hopefully shed about 10 lbs.

Going this week to go buy a backpacking sleeping bag (about 1 lb.) backpacking sleeping pad, wool socks, freezedried meals, etc. We already secured some donkey bags for the trip back out so some of the weight on the upward climb will be on the donkey and not us. Should be about 10 of us in our group.

Got back Monday ~ the trip was awesome! There were 9 of us and we went down the South Rim trail. Stayed 2 nights in the BA campground (with permits), did a day hike to Ribbon falls towards the N rim side (the 2nd pic is halfway up behind the falls looking out). Then we hiked out on the Bright Angel trail. The weather was great and everyone was well prepared. The deer and elk are remarkably tame and one can get within 10 feet of them. At night we had ringtail cats, a skunk, a red fox, and a juvenile mountian lion (!) visit our campsite to look for random food to steal. Of course they all ran off when a flashlight would turn on (except the small skunk which swung its rear at us and walked by with no reservations) :lol: and would scamper up the sheer rock wall at the back of our camp with incredible ease. Stunning scenery and experience. We stayed at the Meswick lodge after exiting the canyon and enjoyed a hot shower, good food and spirits, and a real bed. Our payoff!

Some pics
gc.jpg
ribbon falls.jpg
colorado river.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom