1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brief Intro

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Daskoff, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Daskoff

Daskoff

Hello all,

I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Adrian and I'm a Cruiser-holic. I've been with the Cruiser for...oh about 5 days now. I bought the '97, black, two-tone leather, gold package, 72K mile, no lockers (boo-hiss), soccer-mom cruiser last Friday.

I live in the great outdoors land called Chicago where on weekends we search for the biggest curbs to go curb-crawling. When I get the courage to really go all out and go in the forest preserves (dirt roads), I'll spring for the ARB airlockers.

I've already made a friend in Chicago who was gracious enough to respond to my e-mail questions (on 80cools egroup) before I bought the cruiser. Although I've never met him face to face, I've spent quite a bit of time on the phone getting guidance. Ali - thanks for your support. Ali is the one who told me about this great site. One of the main reasons I bought the cruiser was because of the great support for the series including the willingness of cruiser owners to help out with questions, advise, etc.

Although this is my first SUV ever, I am not new to inline 6 engines. My other car is a '90 BMW 535i, 3.5 liter inline 6, 5-spd, chipped, and sports a low mile of 125K miles-and still going strong. Some of the guys on the BMW forum have mileage on the 3.5 engine in the low 200K without taking the engine out. And from my research on the 4.5 toyo engine, it seems that it should also last at least as long.

I look forward to the insightful posts on this forum as I learn more about my cruiser. One last comment regarding the proposed FAQ. If anyone is interested, go to www.bmwe34.net as a good example of FAQ, maintenance, procedures, etc.

Thanks everyone for the bandwidth!

Adrian
    '97 Cruiser
    '90 BMW 535i
    '99 BMW K1200RS
    '98 Maxima (wife's car)

2. CDN_Cruiser

CDN_Cruiser

Welcome! :beer: You've found the right place to take care of your problem!

Cheers, Hugh (1987 BMW K75S and burning desire to own a M3 or maybe a family friendly M5)

3. Beowulf

Beowulf

Adrian,
    Welcome to 80 ownership and to IH8MUD. You can add your vehicle information to your sig line so we won't be bugging you to tell us what you own in response to your questions. There's a newbie guide on Christo's site and I think Junk has plans for one here in this forum.

We have many owners that use their 80/100 as a DD and don't plan to take it off-road. The other extreme is those that are building their truck as a trail rig and the only time it rolls is headed to a trail. And there are lots of us in between.

Ask questions and don't be afraid to search or ask assistance in searching. Many of the active members here in the 80/100 section first joined the forum when it was sponsored by Spector Offroad (SOR.) The folks at SOR abandon us in March of 2003 and Woody took us in. The membership has grown substantially in the past year but there are still plenty of topics in the archives that have received extensive research, opinions, and documentation with pictures and diagrams. The "usual stuff" has probably been covered and we will be happy to point you to it if you can't find it yourself.

Kick off your shoes, grab a cool one, relax, read, have fun, and ask questions when you're ready.

Cheers! :cheers:
    -B-

4. Safado

Safado

5. Daskoff

Daskoff

Thanks for the welcome! Beowulf - who is Christo and where's his website?

Adrian

SIG to follow once I learn how.

6. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

Welcome, and in 6 short years I hope to join you in BMW motorcycle ownership. I rode motorcycles(various Hondas) from age 17 to 29 when my daughter was born. My wife and I made a deal that I could ride again at age 50. That has to be a good combo-Land Cruisers and motorcycles. Welcome to cruiser ownership, just remember it's a slipperly slope...

7. 80and100cruisers

80and100cruisers SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Welcome

www.sleeoffroad.com Christo Slee owns the shop, supplies lots of people on this fourm, have heard nothing but praise about him.

-Matt

8. Rogue

Rogue

9. Brentbba

Brentbba Former Golfer SILVER Star

Welcome. Now open your pocket book and let these great folks help you spend your money on upgrades! 8)

10. Eduardo96FZJ80

Eduardo96FZJ80

11. alia176

alia176

Albums:
    Adrian,

I'll be more than happy to spend your money!

Ali

12. firetruck41

firetruck41

Welcome Adrian, I had a 92 E34 525iT and was a "regular" (lurker, if not poster) on bmwe34.net when it started as a "split" from roadfly. It was a great board, much like this one. This board has rapidly expanded and there is plenty of info. Christo is the man for the off road mods, Cdan is the man for OEM Toyota parts at great prices, Beowulf is the man for highly detailed maintenance procedures, and Junk is...well Junk, just keep in their good graces and you'll be fine.