Bridgestone or Toyos - same price (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is where my decision tree is stuck. KO2s look amazing, ride fine, and obviously quite capable off-road. But the 2nd half of life has really drag down fuel economy. I am at 38k miles on them…and fuel economy has taken a significant hit. Maybe the worn down tread is stickier / less rolling resistance?

I am thinking of Michelin Defender XL now only because my day job is getting crazier…less play time. And i like regaining maybe 1.5-2mpg back…..

Have you considered the toyo A/T 3 in a P?

@AnyMal do you have a lead on where you can grab a p-metric AT3? Discount Tire claims they won't be able to get until Spring.

With the epic rain the west has received at the end of last year, I can attest to the excellent rain traction, hydroplane resistance, and snow/winter traction of the Toyo AT3s. Over the 1k miles I did sometimes in deluge like rain, the AT3s were able to hold highway speeds, faster than probably reasonable, with excellent confidence and traction. Notably, the Falken AT3Ws I had before were also excellent in these regards. Wet and cold weather performance were a priority and where both these tires have distinct anvantages over other ATs. Between the two, the AT3s seem to have an edge in high speed cruising NVH. Not to say the Toyo's weren't anything but excellent off-road, but edge to Falken AT3s there with more aggressive tread and side lugs. Both are some of the best class leading tires in overall capability from my extensive research.

Note that my Toyo AT3s are Flotation sizing/type that have more aggressive treads and sidewalls. The P-metric sizes have notably less side lugs.
1641327922412.png

Last edited:
TireRack test on AT3 is underwhelming. If i am going with P/XL, then Michelin Defender is much better than AT3 in pretty much every regard except looks….and probably a tougher tire too.

@AnyMal do you have a lead on where you can grab a p-metric AT3? Discount Tire claims they won't be able to get until Spring.

Those are all made in Japan so unfortunately i believe the delays are real.
I gave mine up to swap for my C loads which i HIGHLY recommend you go with instead.
Ive written so much about this already but other than the almost 10lbs difference in weight i dont see any real advantage at all going P over C.
Both tires at their proper PSI are fantastic.
One is slightly stiffer due to its rigidity which is a good thing in everything outside of comfort, and one is extremely beyond tacky looking sidewall.
You are welcome to try mine out anytime. My only condition is if you crash it you need to total it.

TireRack test on AT3 is underwhelming. If i am going with P/XL, then Michelin Defender is much better than AT3 in pretty much every regard except looks….and probably a tougher tire too.

Yeah but one, Tire Rack vs people here on YOUR platform. That feedback favors the forum in my mind.
And two thats not the most fair comparison either.
Thats closer to the yoko G015 than anything. Perhaps the G2 as well but you get my gist, that category.
The A/T 3 is the ATiest of the ATs outside of hybrids.
The Defender is a huge step down in meats from KO2. What im saying is so is the A/T 3 in a sense but less so and in the direction you want to go.

Yeah but one, Tire Rack vs people here on YOUR platform. That feedback favors the forum in my mind.
And two thats not the most fair comparison either.
Thats closer to the yoko G015 than anything. Perhaps the G2 as well but you get my gist, that category.
The A/T 3 is the ATiest of the ATs outside of hybrids.
The Defender is a huge step down in meats from KO2. What im saying is so is the A/T 3 in a sense but less so and in the direction you want to go.
Reviews here are like TireRack CONSUMER reviews……most of them compare their brand spanking new tire to their old worn out tires……

TireRack technical reviews….i trust because they are done by ONE reviewer(s)….ONE vehicle…..one same day….same driving conditions…….against other tires in same category. And i think that TR uses F150 for their truck tire comparison.

And if you go read reviews on Michelin Defender….you will see that Defenders were literally MADE for LC. They are built tough to handle the weight AND torque from modern big a$$ vehicles.

Reviews here are like TireRack CONSUMER reviews……most of them compare their brand spanking new tire to their old worn out tires……

TireRack technical reviews….i trust because they are done by ONE reviewer(s)….ONE vehicle…..one same day….same driving conditions…….against other tires in same category. And i think that TR uses F150 for their truck tire comparison.

And if you go read reviews on Michelin Defender….you will see that Defenders were literally MADE for LC. They are built tough to handle the weight AND torque from modern big a$$ vehicles.

LOL on the comparison yes, thats some major bias i agree. Thats why im favoring the forum, you get to know how your specific vehicle rolls.
But i dont doubt it, im sure there are people who have got them here too id love to hear their take.
At least they dont have goofy fake tribal tatts, i mean "lugs" stamped on their sidewall.

Weren’t we just talking highway only? Going to see relatives, no off-road play kind of a scenario?

For day to day I run an R/T. Both the duratracs and now Kenda rt was the compromise I liked best.

Nothing bad to say for the Kenda at, it never left me stranded off road or even shoes a lack of traction, I just like the rt better for day to day. Probably because of the hopped up sidewalls.

As to c vs d vs e, I like D (or flotation in my case) and would have bought C if it was available in an RT too. I ran E/high load for two years and never needed the additional weight capacity it would have afforded.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom