1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brewing biodiesel?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by 60wag, Aug 27, 2006.

1. 60wag

60wag SILVER Star

Anybody got any good links to articles on home brewed biodesel? I've seen some really low costs tossed about using waste veggy oil but I'm wondering about the whole story - like what sort of nasty byproducts are left over from the reaction? How do you dispose of them?

How long does the "brew" have to sit for the reaction to take place.

How tough is it to mod the fuel vehicle system so the alcohols don't trash the seals?
    How much waste veggy oil is really out there? Back in my days as a hamburger flipper at small hot dog establishment, we'd put about 10 gallons of waste oil a week. I think if a dozen or so people here in Boulder decided to go homebrew, the WVO supply would dry up.

2. Red Herring

Red Herring

Media:
    Albums:
  3. HZJ60 Guy

HZJ60 Guy Tank Buster

It isnt particulary difficult to brew, but my vehicles are way to important to me to screw around with it.

4. dieseldog

dieseldog She idles just fine . . .

I decided that I didn't want to brew it myself either. I buy ASTM-grade biodiesel B100 at the pump here in Houston ( www.houstonbiodiesel.com ) and am currently paying about $2.68 a gallon. I know I'm getting quality product and have seven hungry diesels to feed--three of which are currently running on B100. The rest run on about B33, which I approximate by guessing how low the tank is, filling a certain amount of B100, then topping off at my favorite petro-diesel station. All seven are very happy.

All told, at my home, I have a fuel storage capacity of around 250 gallons of B100--not counting what's in the main fuel tanks of my vehicles at any given time. 100 gallons of that B100 is mobile in a transfer tank mounted in the back of my Dodge Cummins. I filter down to 10 microns and have a water trap as well, then can meter the flow with an accuracy of +/-1%. My system has been working quite well.

5. HZJ60 Guy

HZJ60 Guy Tank Buster

Are you sure its B100? The Govt. gives a tax break for B99. Interesting, 7 diesels to feed. I have three and I feel gulity about it! Ha! You poor man!:cheers:

6. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    I think the seals are ok if they are not too old.
    A 60 wouldnt be all that hard to change the rubber in the fuel lines.

You could use other types of vegie oil such as canola and peanut.
    They need to be heated with the exhaust if you use them untreated.
    Or you can mix what biodiesel you have with normal diesel

Of course you need a diesel engine first. Any idea which one?

7. dieseldog

dieseldog She idles just fine . . .

Yep, I know about the tax break and I know what I'm being sold.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">