Breaking seal oil pan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have a good technique to break the liquid gasket seal on an oil pan? I triple checked no bolts. Tried hitting it with a rubber mallet. Tried putting pressure on it with a floor jack. Tried getting a chisel in between there. She’s still stuck.

Thanks!

Get a good bottle jack that you can pump up horizontally, (not all will do this) use a 2x4 or similar, lay it down & pump it sideways. It won’t take much & it will be off.

Last edited:
Get a good bottle jack that you can pump up horizontally, (not all will do this) use a 2x4 or similar, lay it down & pump it sideways. It won’t take much & it will be off.
I gave this a shot. Needed a break so wedged it against a leaf spring and put some pressure on it. Maybe it will be on the ground when I get back later

I gave this a shot. Needed a break so wedged it against a leaf spring and put some pressure on it. Maybe it will be on the ground when I get back later
Good idea…give it some time. I had to give some xtra time to my diff cover once to get it to pop free. Jacked it up a bit & & let it sit overnight. When I went out the next morning it was loose.

Happy to report it is off after many cuss words and angry swigs of beer. For anyone else that runs into this, here is what worked. Bottle jack against the frame on the front of the oil pan, right behind the radiator. Pressure it sideways and eventually it will shift just a little bit on the front end. A putty knife slides right through it at that point and just work your way around. I ended up having to take off the little wing guards on the transmission as well to get it off.

Well I got the new oil pan on. If anyone is contemplating doing this on a manual transmission, highly recommend you get some friends. It’s a bit of a pain to get it back on. Because of the way it’s designed the very front corners of the pan get caught on the metal seal of the transmission I had to lie down and hold it up with my feet and knees then get it pressured against that transmission seal and whack it with a rubber mallet about 3 times. Here’s to hoping I didn’t mess up the new gasket seal when it slid across. Will find out tomorrow when I put new oil in it and start it up. Giving it about 48 hours to cure since it’s wicked cold out today and yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom