break problem after front end work (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I helped my friend change out an oil seal today on his 86 4runner, when everything was assembled I went to put the caliper back on, but the bolt wouldn't suck it up all the way. I think its hitting the rotor or something. I've done plenty of front end work on my 60 and my 86 mini truck and never encountered this problem. What is going on?

Are you sure you put everything back together in the correct order? Sounds to me like the classic problem that occurs when you forget to install the big dust shield, or try to leave it off.

would the bolt not pull up tight to the caliper, or will the caliper not pull up tight to the knuckle? I would check to see if you have the correct pads, check the threads on the bolt and inside the knuckle, and make sure you have the caliper compressed back in all the way. did you get new calipers? are they on the correct side? bleeder screws need to be up.

did you put the caliper on then try puttin the pads on? perhaps the pad is hangin up. I have never had this problem...

I put it on in the order of spindle, dust shield, then that little metal thing. He says the caliper and pads are new. What is happening is once the bolt head contacts the caliper it tightens up even though the caliper is not tight to the knuckle. I compressed the pads all the way before putting the caliper back on. The threads are good everywhere, the only weird thing is this caliper is threaded. I pulled the caliper off though and everything was tight then.

He says the caliper and pads are new... ...the only weird thing is this caliper is threaded.

These are important clues. Are you saying the caliper hasn't been installed previously? I'm wondering if maybe you have the wrong calipers. They shouldn't be threaded.

These are important clues. Are you saying the caliper hasn't been installed previously? I'm wondering if maybe you have the wrong calipers. They shouldn't be threaded.

No they were installed on the truck when we tore it apart. I'm not sure why one of the calipers is threaded, its only one bolt that wont suck up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom