Break job from hell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Before you chastise me for my use of break instead of brake read on.

Order my rotors/pads from one place, get em here after two days and pick em up friday night. Go to start brake job on sat. morning. Passenger side goes flawless....other than some slightly sticky caliper pistons. Get around to the drivers side and find a shelled mess. Spindle lock nut destroyed, stuff all out of place. Caliper pistons froze beyond repair(or enough Ill just replace the whole thing anyway)....so I order that. Tuesday they say..... So I go pick it up today, and it was "20 bucks more cus the warehouse only had the ones that come with "shoes" in them" :rolleyes: Buy the spindle nut whilst im there, and get raped on it for 8 bucks. Expensive nut. Go home to assemble my new hardware, and find that they ordered a pass. side caliper for my frozen driver side :eek: So now Im pissed, and call em back. "Im sure you said pass. side" "Im sure you heard me wrong, order the right one or I want my money back" "Sorry....tomorrow morning at 730 itll be here" "Fine....by the way the 8 dollar spindle nut you sold me is the wrong one too. " :mad:

So now Im just keeping the pass side and replacing it too. Now hoping that the parts store I never used before doesnt screw up again, and I can finally road my truck again tomorrow. This will be the first and last time I use Carquest.

You should have called Cruiser Dan!

Are you still in Boise going to school? Brake stuff you can usually get at Henderson Wheel fairly cheap. It isn't OEM but it isn't bad for the price.

I'm an OEM guy when it comes to brakes. I don't like dinking around with crappy parts.

OEM is OEM no matter where ya get it from. Thats what I always order, it just came from carquest. Next time it wont.

Nope, I work for the mighty railroad here now. They pay me as much as I was paying the college. :D

Your "loaded" caliper WAS NOT OEM. Toyota does not offer loaded calipers.

The stuff you got from Carquest was only OEM if they bought it from a Toyota dealer.

I'd suggest taking a break from the brakes and having a beer, but...

:flipoff2: :D :flipoff2:

I only buy from CDan...unless it's something that my local guys can't fawk up...like Toyota Red Coolant...or wiper blade inserts...or touchup paint...

Skyshark...this shall pass also, in a couple of days she will be good as new.

Last edited:
Sorry you had such a s***ty time. Looks like having the wrong stuff was half your trouble. Next time save yourself the trouble and order from Dan.

"I only buy from CDan...unless it's something that my local guys can't fawk up...like Toyota Red Coolant...or wiper blade inserts...or touchup paint..."

My local guys f ed up the Toyota Red. Sent me 50/50 pre mix. Basssstaaarrrrrds.
Sean

[Invoke Montey Python] And he said veryly, "And he shall order thy parts from CDan...and the parts they shall come from CDan..and upon such parts as ye shall order from CDan, ye shall install such parts as they shall be properly installed, and then upon proper installation, ye shall thank CDan for delivering said proper parts that ye was with the grace of God able to install according to the instructions of the Holy BGB. And upon completion of the installation and proper testing ye shall exhalt the virture of CDan and proclaim him Parts Geek" [/Invoke Montey Phython]

It's in the bible...you can look it up. :D

I feel your pain. I have had too much time and money wasted by my local toyota dealers and part stores. I avoid them like the plague.

I count myself lucky that Cruiserdan is a part of this community. He has amazing prices, great technical help, and always sends me the correct parts and the extra parts I didn't know I needed.

A good example, this summer my fan clutch and radiator cap bit the dust. Dan next day aired me a fan clutch and cap for less than my local dealer wanted for the fan clutch alone. BTW, the local dealer told me that the fan clutch was on backorder across the country for several weeks. Dan had it in stock...

Who would have guessed that a New Hampshire guy would order his parts from New Mexico because it was cheaper than his local dealers?!

Stop wasting your time, buy from Dan.

Scamper said:
[Invoke Montey Python] And he said veryly, "And he shall order thy parts from CDan...and the parts they shall come from CDan..and upon such parts as ye shall order from CDan, ye shall install such parts as they shall be properly installed, and then upon proper installation, ye shall thank CDan for delivering said proper parts that ye was with the grace of God able to install according to the instructions of the Holy BGB. And upon completion of the installation and proper testing ye shall exhalt the virture of CDan and proclaim him Parts Geek" [/Invoke Montey Phython]

It's in the bible...you can look it up. :D

LOL...:D

skyshark186 said:
OEM is OEM no matter where ya get it from. Thats what I always order, it just came from carquest.

Wrong parts is wrong parts no matter where ya get it from. :D

-B-

Last edited:
NorCalDoug said:
I'd suggest taking a break from the brakes and having a beer, but...

:flipoff2: :D :flipoff2:

I only buy from CDan...unless it's something that my local guys can't fawk up...like Toyota Red Coolant...or wiper blade inserts...or touchup paint...

Sky, you sure is was not the box that was labeled wrong?

Doug,
Instaintly I know the kanji. Harajuku is a fxxxy place.

I'm all for ordering from Dan but come on guys, sometimes the delivery schedule just doesn't work out. Sure after all the screw ups maybe there wasn't any time savings but for the most part if you need a part in a hurry the shipping from Dan to you can easily negate any savings.

Just a real life observation.

Rick is, of course, correct. I think it wise to keep a local bridge intact. It will come in handy.

landtank said:
I'm all for ordering from Dan but come on guys, sometimes the delivery schedule just doesn't work out. Sure after all the screw ups maybe there wasn't any time savings but for the most part if you need a part in a hurry the shipping from Dan to you can easily negate any savings.

Just a real life observation.

That was the thinking in this particular instance. I could have it the next morning or halfway through a week. Its a pain to get to work without my truck. Now that its halfway through the week anyway......... :rolleyes:

Their "loaded" calipers that were the "only" way they could get them were a set of carquest brakes in an OEM caliper. The pads were laying on top of the wrapped caliper, not even packaged the same. Why they went through the trouble, I dont know. Seems like a massive waste of time to me. As I said, they will not be relied upon again.

Your right, it will pass and be forgotten. It just irks me that it could have all been easily avoided when it was apart anyway just before I bought it.

jklubens said:
...Doug,
Instaintly I know the kanji. Harajuku is a fxxxy place.

I was wondering who would comment on that first :D

skyshark186 said:
OEM is OEM no matter where ya get it from. Thats what I always order, it just came from carquest. Next time it wont.

OEM does not mean factory quality. OEM simply means that it was made by a manufacture that makes original equiptment for your vehicle. They OEM manufacture may have not even originally supplied the same part for the vehicle that they are selling as oem. Hypothetical example is Brembo makes the rotors for a BMW, but ATE makes the calipers. Brembo can sell calipers in the aftermarket as an OEM. They are not lying but they didn't make the original factory parts.

Remember OEM DOES NOT EQUAL FACTORY ORIGINAL.

cruiserdan said:
Rick is, of course, correct. I think it wise to keep a local bridge intact. It will come in handy.

Absolutely-Its taken 5 years but I have started to train my local stealership, they learn that I call w/ a Q or part request about every two months for all of my LCs-at least what I can get for the BJ...

But, I had soooo many run-ins with them I finally said-"Guys just stock it-cause you know I will be in here in two months asking for it-AND I'll come here first to check due to convenience. Hey, its ony money in your pocket."

Went there the other day they had a rear axle seal, fr dust caps, star washers for the spindle, and my nice big Japanese oil "barrel" filter. They said they have started to make stocking requests every time I call w/ a common part Q so they will have the part....and cause they know nothing about LCs so they just follow lead to have them for anyone else as well.

It took some time though-

sorry to hear about the "breaks" though-I HATE that worse than anyting when I am working on my rig-having her sit an extra day or two because I am waiting on parts... :frown:

But for the big stuff or very special not common part CDan / Hocker are my men... :cheers:

Beowulf said:
Wrong parts is wrong parts no matter where ya get it from. :D

-B-

But even right parts is wrong parts unless ordered from C'Dan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom