1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Break in and synthetic

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by ndcruiser, Aug 2, 2005.

1. ndcruiser

ndcruiser

If I'm repeat posting, please redirect me. I had thought it was in the FAQ's, might be a good topic for that.

Is there a consensus (right) on when to start synthetic fluids? I know some lux vehicles come with them from the factory. I'm talking all around, diffs, tc, tranny, engine.

John

2. Kanab

Kanab

I would think from 10K to 30K would be a good range, depending on how anal you are. I would wait until after 10K on the engine (even though you don't have too). I would change the diff's at 15K and the transfer case at 30K. Go to www.bobistheoilguy.com to get more informed information.

3. cary

cary

Opinions vary, but Mobil 1 who is the largest manufacture of Synths states you can run it from new. Apparently, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, Austin Martin, GM, and others fill the same as they use Synthetic as factory fill. Who do you think knows better the collective knowledge of Exxon/Mobil and the above manufactures, or some oil geek like me on the internet? I would listen to the former.

4. NMuzj100

NMuzj100

McDonalds says it's a good idea for me to supersize my meal for the "value" too. :rolleyes:

I'd trust the collective wisdom of thoughtful internet geeks over the coporate office of a huge multi-national oil giant, but in this case the answer is going to be the same. Change to synthetics as early as you want you want.

Some makes use a special initial fill for the engine where the oil is real heavy in plating anti-wear additives (these you want to leave in for the prescribed period) but I have never heard Toyota mentioned as one of them.

+1 for www.bobistheoilguy.com

5. derekb41

derekb41

Media:
    Albums:
    Question re: high mileage switch to synthetics...

I was told by a local shop that if you do not use synthetic motor oil pre-70k miles, don't waste your time.

Is there any truth to this myth? My 98 has 104k miles, and I am curious if I should switch to synthetic.

6. ndcruiser

ndcruiser

A couple of things:

1) I think there is a myth that synthetic oils are much "thinner" in viscosity than petroleum based products. I've been assured that this isn't true (except maybe for extreme temps which is the point). That may be why some feel that after your engine starts to get "old" it will leak like a sieve if you put synthetic into it. Not really the case, I would suspect. I've decided to get synthetic in as soon as possible (just waiting for my filter to show up).

2) Another thing is that I think filtration is important and buying a good filter that filters down to a smaller micron particle diameter makes sense to me.

3) Anybody know if any synthetics come in any other components standard? If not, I'll be changing those soon too.

This Cruiser may be the first vehicle I keep to high mileage, and if something does go wrong someday, I want to know that I did everything I could. Now I have to decide on a bypass filter as well.

7. NMuzj100

NMuzj100

Make sure that your filter allows enough flow as that is as important as fine filtration. The bypass filter may be overkill on the 4.7L engine which is known to be extremely easy on oil.

8. Kanab

Kanab

From what I've read on www.bobistheoilguy.com the Toyota 4.7 V8 is very very easy on oil and any quality oil will give you good UOA results. I've learned that different engines seem to do well on different oils. Example the Nissan/Infinite 3.5 V6 does better on dino oil then some synthetics (it uses oil when Mobil 1 is used) but it doesn't when Amsoil synthetic is used or most dino oils. Go to the boboil site and look at the UOA for all of the Toyota 4.7 V8's, I think it will give you some good information to base your oil decision.

9. ndcruiser

ndcruiser

My Dad had a 2000 Cruiser, and he always loved to show me how clean the oil was, even after thousands of miles. My Rover (at the time) had oil that looked like sludge in comparison.

John

10. ndcruiser

ndcruiser

I'm trying to find UOA on bobsoil, but can't find it. Which page?

11. Kanab

Kanab

Just do a search under UOA using 4.7 V8 you will get all of the 4,7 V8's but most of them are Toyota's.