break fluid empty, spongy brake pedal. Please help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hiya'!

I have a slow leak in my break fluid container, right at the bottom middle where there is a plastic weld/join and it takes about 2 weeks to leak out completely.

Jumped in the truck just now and noticed the break pedal making an airy sound and being very spongy.

1/ Is it o.k to drive until I get the replacement canister?

2/ after I replace the canister I'll have to bleed the brakes, is this relatively easy?

Thank you.

answer,
1, no, absolutely not.
2, Search the forum and you will find instructions, lots of them.
If you aren't sure you can make it happen, ask for help from someone with some experience or you will just end up crazy.

The spongy pedal is due to air in the hydraulic system. If you refill the master and bleed the brakes to restore normal brake function, you can drive it safely as long as you don't let the fluid leak out again. Brake bleeding is relatively easy using two people: One to stomp on the pedal and the other to open and close the bleeder valve. The key is to really stomp on the pedal so that the fluid squirts out about 1 meter to blow all the bubbles out.

Thanks guys.

I topped the tank up and it feels about as good (or as bad?) as it always has the past 8 months I've owned it.

I also want to change brake pads while Im at itm will read the forums.
Thanks again.

Ok, $250 new.. Or $110 s/h.

The wrecker said that they are all the same for all 80 series models, years, petrol or diesel. True?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom