Break Controller - install and which one? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm about to start hauling an Airstream around and have been informed I need a break controler.

I've been looking at Tekonsha 90195 P3 Electronic Brake Control.

(that model number might be off a bit)

Looks pretty easy to install.

Any suggestions on where and how to mount it - has anybody done a 'built in' install?

Also, I'm not married to the Tekonsha if anybody has other recommendations.

Thanks,
Patrick

I installed the REDARC Tow Pro Elite.
Check it out. Just a small knob on the dash. You can install control knob any place you like .

I did that Tekonsha. It was pretty easy to install aside from the screws for the mounting bracket. I put it about where you’d have a foot parking brake but closer to the brake pedal. There was room to tuck the wires up into the paneling. It isn’t the most convenient for adjusting settings but it is out of the way. Here’s what it looked like after install

72B18699-F277-4B33-98DC-F8F3A01638A6.jpeg

I had a tekonsha now I have a Curt. Honistly no difference. They both work and are adjustable. It is not that easy to install. You have to remove most of the trim around he steering wheel up to the dash. I had to do it a 2ns time when I put the Curt in this past spring. Took about 2 hours. There is a good walkthrough on Mud if you search.

I really like the clean integration of the Redarc but unfortunately it doesn't have the capability to control EOH brakes, so I went with the Tekonsha P3 and it works great for both regular and EOH trailer brakes.

I just bought the redarc for my lx470. Do you know where the plug for the brake controler is?
For the 100 it’s near the steering column very close to the turn signal rely. It’s the only loose and unused white harness down there. I recommend getting the factory plug. I believe it’s the same part as the tundra brake controller harness. I don’t know if there is a harness available for redarc but I was able to find one for the Tekonsha I had in my 100s.

I just bought the redarc for my lx470. Do you know where the plug for the brake controler is?
It’s in the left side of steering wheel. Way up inside. Search the 200 threads for REDARC trailer brake install and you should find all the info/pics you need.

FYI - if anyone has the P3 and 3D printer, there's a good low profile mount on Thingiverse. I just printed one out, the controller is pretty tight in there, but it's good quality and much lower profile than the supplied mounts.

Redarc Towpro Elite. Fantastic controller and love the integration into the dash. Ive had the P3 before and it did a fine job. I tow a lot and found that both work fine, just like the adjustability and the knob integrated into the dash much better. I always kicked the controller when i had it mounted down by the footwell. FYI, Redarc even makes a dash button insert for the knob into the 200 so it all looks factory.

No doubt the mounting options for the P3 (or any other controller other than the Redarc) are very limited and not so good. If you install under the steering wheel, make sure you don't install over the knee airbag!

I tow an airstream with our LC and use the P3. The P3 functions great and is easy to set, but I hate it always hitting my shin. If you're 6ft or above, do the Redarc and save yourself the hassle. Everything I've read about the Redarc (on the forum and off) indicates they're pretty equal in terms of performance. There are some nuances between them, but nothing significant in my opinion. I think a few people on the forum have now used both extensively. The links that @Sandroad posted above will be great resources for you, especially the last link. I think that's were you'll see a couple people talking about their experiences with both. I'm looking to switch to it sometime soon but have other places to spend my $ first.

I'll add a thumbs up for the Redarc. I tow a 27FB Airstream and it works well. I like the clean install. No qualms about it.

Another vote for the Redarc Tow Pro Elite. Easy install with the Toyota blank adapter.
Super clean install and you don't hit your shins on it every time you get in and out of your seat.

Reviving this thread in hopes someone knows:

Is there any trailer brake applied while towing stock and you hit the brakes? Or is it all Land Cruisers brakes?

I have a redarc trailer brake being installed with a bunch of other stuff, but not for 6-7 weeks and still want to tow our new camper. But, want to tow it safely and make sure I can still brake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom