Brass Drift ?'s (1 Viewer)

OK this may sound really dumb, but what are brass drifts used for on a knuckle rebuild, and what the heck are they? I think this is the only thing left on my list of tools needed, and I just read a for sale post about how difficult they are to find at local stores. I looked them up in google shopping and they just look like puch sets. Why do you need to use brass, and again what do you even use them on when doing the rebuild. Thanks guys. hope I dont sound too clueless asking this.

AndersN

SILVER Star

I got mine from napa, just a small mallet made of brass pretty much. Will really come in handy when trying to get out the cone washers and is alot better than the hammer and screwdriver method that i had used the time before.

orangefj45

Supporting Vendor

i hate buying and using chinese tools but............

harbor freight has brass drifts also. iirc they're $20 or so for the pair. one of them is solid stock and about 3/4" diameter. i have used it on many, many knuckle jobs and it's still holding up.

georg

Rigger

Ramble Tamble
Staff member
s-Moderator

X2 on what georg said.

My H/F set was so dirt cheap, it was almost funny! I've used them on both my Cruisers and they are holding up fine. I took them with when I was junk yard shopping for hubs. Hammer and drift is the fastest way to remove cone washers. As the ends of the drifts bugger up, I clean 'em with a grinder.

If you don't mind a little off-topic advice:

When you are in H/F picking up the drifts, grab a box of their rubber gloves (super cheap) and save your hands during the grease/oil clean up!

I also got their seal driver set. Low quality, but good enough. And, you guessed it, super cheap!

Good luck!

:)

ntsqd

technerd

I just use a piece of round brass bar stock. Nothing fancy, seems to work just fine. Best of all it came out of the rems pile so it was free.

Spike Strip

Midnight Rider
SILVER Star

FWIW, I bought a nice 5-piece American-made set off ebay with all diff lengths and sizes, knurled grips, the works ($$). I bought the 2-piece HF set on sale, and for whatever reason, I can't lose those tools even if I try, so those are the ones that get the job done just fine...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom