Brand new Land Cruiser rolled (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Watch that it turns out to be a 2020 Highlander.... :D

I am glad that the couple made it.

"Around 3:30 PM on January 10, 2021, an electronic notice of airbag deployment involving a white Toyota Landcruiser was received by the YCSO dispatch center. The location was on the east side of Mingus Mountain between the communities of Jerome and Cottonwood.

The Forest Patrol deputy was able to locate two subjects just before 6 PM on a very narrow two track forest service road as they were utilizing a warming fire between them. The deputy learned that their vehicle had rolled off the roadway, coming to rest several hundred feet down the mountain. They were able to get out of the vehicle and climb back to the roadway. Their cell phones could not be found, and they had no extra supplies with them. Both had sustained bumps, bruises, and cuts but were otherwise in good condition. They refused transportation to a hospital."

Last edited:
I went down that road a couple years ago, but in a mostly stock FJ Cruiser. Other than a 3/4 mile section thats a bit rocky, it's mostly just regular FS road. There's a couple short spots where it's a little narrow with a very long drop off....longer than 20 rolls.

Around 3:30 PM on January 10, 2021, an electronic notice of airbag deployment involving a white Toyota Landcruiser was received by the YCSO dispatch center. The location was on the east side of Mingus Mountain between the communities of Jerome and Cottonwood.

The Forest Patrol deputy was able to locate two subjects just before 6 PM on a very narrow two track forest service road as they were utilizing a warming fire between them. The deputy learned that their vehicle had rolled off the roadway, coming to rest several hundred feet down the mountain. They were able to get out of the vehicle and climb back to the roadway. Their cell phones could not be found, and they had no extra supplies with them. Both had sustained bumps, bruises, and cuts but were otherwise in good condition. They refused transportation to a hospital.

Interesting... I know our vehicles are equipped with cellular safety connect systems. If I'm understanding this correctly, the car automatically transmitted an electronic duress signal of airbag deployment. Which was potentially a lifesaver in this situation as the occupants lost their cell phones? Good to know that help may come in a situation like this, even if incapacitated.

I believe the safety connect systems in our cars are only cellular? So it may not help in very remote areas? Any cellular or connected industry experts here that may know more?

There's probably several generations of safety connect with some of the older variants loosing connectivity. I found some info suggest 2011-2017 200-series using 3G services that will be deprecated. Wonder if there's any options to update.

Interesting... I know our vehicles are equipped with cellular safety connect systems. If I'm understanding this correctly, the car automatically transmitted an electronic duress signal of airbag deployment. Which was potentially a lifesaver in this situation as the occupants lost their cell phones? Good to know that help may come in a situation like this, even if incapacitated.

I believe the safety connect systems in our cars are only cellular? So it may not help in very remote areas? Any cellular or connected industry experts here that may know more?

There's probably several generations of safety connect with some of the older variants loosing connectivity. I found some info suggest 2011-2017 200-series using 3G services that will be deprecated. Wonder if there's any options to update.

That caught my eye as well. Maybe a dumb question but does that mean GPS tracking and the vehicle is reporting position?

This situation is one of the reasons I always hook my Garmin Inreach to the passenger side headrest with a carabiner, and I usually share my trip in real time (via Mapshare with 10 min track intervals) with my wife, bro in law, and @JohnJB. I am impressed the 200 sent out an SOS on its own, but I definitely want to have a backup in case something crazy happens and I end up in a ditch or worse.

ACtC-3d59AKIUdz3JoE5PnqQyEa63vcS-Lfzo6760lRtPKqNL1ZqkTzuCffjU1cLdcIs7wVgijgewvUtwog2EwbEsIyBRh9IVN30tJtrWgbRNKfPC1A_dgvrDNKNsIj5HKjgViSzInINQmvlRSivjknipMcwYw=w703-h937-no

This situation is one of the reasons I always hook my Garmin Inreach to the passenger side headrest with a carabiner, and I usually share my trip in real time (via Mapshare with 10 min track intervals) with my wife, bro in law, and @JohnJB. I am impressed the 200 sent out an SOS on its own, but I definitely want to have a backup in case something crazy happens and I end up in a ditch or worse.

ACtC-3d59AKIUdz3JoE5PnqQyEa63vcS-Lfzo6760lRtPKqNL1ZqkTzuCffjU1cLdcIs7wVgijgewvUtwog2EwbEsIyBRh9IVN30tJtrWgbRNKfPC1A_dgvrDNKNsIj5HKjgViSzInINQmvlRSivjknipMcwYw=w703-h937-no

I carry my InReach Mini with me at all times while traveling, it comforts the misses which in turn makes my life easier lol.

I carry my InReach Mini with me at all times while traveling, it comforts the misses which in turn makes my life easier lol.
Same reason I carry mine when solo backpack hunting! I can text her every night I'm still alive.

Glad this couple made it out alive.

Above question was asked about GPS tracking. The GPS always knows where you are. Most of modern auto GPS systems have saved back log of data and route info. If the overall system contains a cellular call out option it can report Location information in case of accident that triggers any safety system or if you hit sos button. What I have not been able to find on line is if the systems on regular interval report information back for data logging purposes. Think of it like your smart phone unless you disabled it that phone is constantly sending data back to apple or android or Microsoft as well as any apps that you let report back. It would be safe to assume that technology exists to do it question is does it. I never been able to find answer with exception of Tesla they send back data as long as car is on.

Above question was asked about GPS tracking. The GPS always knows where you are. Most of modern auto GPS systems have saved back log of data and route info. If the overall system contains a cellular call out option it can report Location information in case of accident that triggers any safety system or if you hit sos button. What I have not been able to find on line is if the systems on regular interval report information back for data logging purposes. Think of it like your smart phone unless you disabled it that phone is constantly sending data back to apple or android or Microsoft as well as any apps that you let report back. It would be safe to assume that technology exists to do it question is does it. I never been able to find answer with exception of Tesla they send back data as long as car is on.
Are you referring to the SOS system? Onstar equivalent? Should be able to communicate so long as you have GPS signal - and a membership.

New buyers get 3 years free at the cost of “sharing driving characteristics/location/etc”. Toyota now knows I drive triple digits on the reg.

That caught my eye as well. Maybe a dumb question but does that mean GPS tracking and the vehicle is reporting position?

Agree with others, and it's a forgone conclusion that yes, all modern cars have this going on to some degree. Perhaps older ones, like mine may no longer have relevant connectivity and may not do it. I should try hitting the Lexuslink to see if a call actually connects? I have never once tried the button.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom