brand new fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
You may have seen this on ccot. I know this may go against the grain a little but it seems like this would be the place to ask. Has anyone tried to build a brand new cruiser from scratch using parts from aqualu and a frame from matkins or body parts from matkins too. I mean, you would have a brand new vehicle (providing that you used a piar of freshened axles and drivetrain components but not new). It seems that for like 10,000 it could be done taking certain key bits from a donor rig. I know it would lose some of the charm of the old dogs, but it would be BRAND NEW and it would allow a lot of room to improve on cruiser shortcomings. Any opinions here?

[quote author=ranger link=board=1;threadid=6917;start=msg56886#msg56886 date=1067496386]
What shortcomings..............
[/quote]
Good answer :D but you can't expect me to believe that you haven't done one single mod to your cruiser. :slap:
8)

seats, noise, a few of the basic creature comforts would be the high priority items. I seriously think it can be done for 10k. I am considering building one and buying one that is in sweet shape and using my current 40 for parts for the buildup. It would be a shame to use such a good one for parts but I know they all work.

buy a 81-83 fj40, in 81 alot of things changed that make a 40 a better 40 IMOP

John H

I would think DMV would have a say in it. As they may want to inspect it, for road worthy ness. I know it would be road worthy but you know how govt. works with something that is a little different. How would it be titled?

dmv is a bitch to pass :flipoff2: i had a hard time passing when i built 1 cruiser out of 2

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=6917;start=msg56931#msg56931 date=1067526377]
buy a 81-83 fj40, in 81 alot of things changed that make a 40 a better 40 IMOP

John H
[/quote]

John if you happen to know anyone with, oh say, 2 cruisers in the 82 range, see if they would sell one to me. Prefer green or mustard.

Scott

[quote author=3_puppies link=board=1;threadid=6917;start=msg56962#msg56962 date=1067531516]
I would think DMV would have a say in it. As they may want to inspect it, for road worthy ness. I know it would be road worthy but you know how govt. works with something that is a little different. How would it be titled?
[/quote]

If you started with a frame that already had a title, don't see why they should even have to know any different. Maybe Comifornia would have an issue with it.

And on a side note, I still don't understand why everyone bitches that cruisers are so loud in the cab. Sure it's noisy, but that is part of the charm I think. Half the new cars on the road nowadays, you can't even tell if they're running. Can't hear s***. Being able to hear my motor saved me from blowing it up when my throttle stuck wide open at an intersection couple years back.

Loud=Good :flipoff2:

All you need is a matching frame, title, tags, and the other parts to assemble. The only other issue "may" be when the frame was last titled, and proving to the DMV that it has been in "long term" storage (and came out pristine....lol)

I happen to have a 1977 frame/title/tags for just such a purpose. :D

Or if you live in a state like VT, they don't title anything over 25 years old. They didn't even ask for a VIN verification.

I could've registered my snowblower as an FJ40 and they wouldn't have known.

Although, if you use a new matkins frame, it may be considered a new vehicle. I know it's like that with the AC cobra kit. Even though it's a 1966 replica, they go by the production date on the frame.

I've thought about this myself, but I'd have to agree with Fsusteve that the cost would be in the high teens or even low twenties. I guess there are a lot of variables. I'd want to have a complete Old Man Emu suspension and shackle reversal ($2,500 + labor), new or salvaged seats ($200 -600), electronic ignition ($300 ? + labor) power steering (don't know the cost), and most important where I live, AC ($1,200? + labor). Goodies would include a 5- speed transmission, winch, Hell for Stout bumper, satellite radio, Tuffy center console and carpet. I guess a lot of it would depend on what you can do yourself vs. what you'd have to hire someone for, and how good you are at scrounging up salvage/used parts, etc. I wouldn't have a clue about how to put in a new a/c, and though I could probably do my own paint job, it most likely wouldn't be pretty. I don't have the space or equipment to do it anyway. Do they have those Earl Scheib $179 paint job places where you live? Have you checked out Jeff Zepp's website? He's got step by step pictures of his FJ 40 rebuild. I think he's also got his email address there, if not on this site. It'd be interesting to know what his rebuild cost.

LABOR COSTS?????

Even if you do all the work "yourself", this DOES cost you, and is no where near the 10K figure, or even the 18K.

Once you start taking EVERYTHING apart, you will begin to realize the time and money involved in such a undertaking, and not untill you are in over your head, will you understand the time and finacial commitment required.

Can it be done? Of course it can, all it takes is time and money, and usually a lot more of the second one, than the first.

Keep us posted, I hope you have a digital camera, and can provide pictures of your new career move!

Good luck!

If you start with new frame and new body ect ect then wouldn't it bee a 2003 model year, you would be the OEM, worst I think it would have to meet 2003 emmisions and safety???

starting with a custom frame and new body ih Wisconsin allows you to register as a Hobbyist, which means you can choose your year and avoid emissions. Worth checking into in any state.

Remember the YJ-5 in the magazines about 8-10 years ago? Doug Richter did that, a friend of mine, and despite a custom tube frame, CJ-5 tub and YJ front clip, it was registered as a 1973 CJ-5.

[quote author=phlyfish link=board=1;threadid=6917;start=msg57154#msg57154 date=1067560118]
If you start with new frame and new body ect ect then wouldn't it bee a 2003 model year, you would be the OEM, worst I think it would have to meet 2003 emmisions and safety???
[/quote]

Good luck with those air bags!!!

::)

32483834.jpg

my 82 fj40, meets most all of what you want, no AC, no SR(no desire for it on this 40) no H55F. Other than that it's what you just asked for. I'm into it about 10K, started with a clean one owner rot free 82 fj40, the paint is origianal. I added OEM PS, OME suspension, ARB locker, new clutch, 33x9.5, swaped out the old 8274 to a new 8274-50(that I already had), new OEM bumper, Tuffy w/Alpine/MB?Bose. SOR floor mats over a new OEM floor mat, dual batts. tune up, aisin hubs, front end overhaul.

Pretty close eh? and its one hell of a sweet driving cruiser :)

Did I have a point.....if so I forgot it ;)

John H

[quote author=paulj link=board=1;threadid=6917;start=msg57148#msg57148 date=1067557962]
I've thought about this myself, but I'd have to agree with Fsusteve that the cost would be in the high teens or even low twenties. I guess there are a lot of variables. I'd want to have a complete Old Man Emu suspension and shackle reversal ($2,500 + labor), new or salvaged seats ($200 -600), electronic ignition ($300 ? + labor) power steering (don't know the cost), and most important where I live, AC ($1,200? + labor). Goodies would include a 5- speed transmission, winch, Hell for Stout bumper, satellite radio, Tuffy center console and carpet. I guess a lot of it would depend on what you can do yourself vs. what you'd have to hire someone for, and how good you are at scrounging up salvage/used parts, etc. I wouldn't have a clue about how to put in a new a/c, and though I could probably do my own paint job, it most likely wouldn't be pretty. I don't have the space or equipment to do it anyway. Do they have those Earl Scheib $179 paint job places where you live? Have you checked out Jeff Zepp's website? He's got step by step pictures of his FJ 40 rebuild. I think he's also got his email address there, if not on this site. It'd be interesting to know what his rebuild cost.
[/quote]

TPI did it with a 45lv, said it cost them >$40k. Someone else also did this making a prototype for Toyota USA, using all new parts, didn't see a price tag, may have been TLC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom