brand new engine, couple of questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
I just put a rebuilt engine in the 60, and I have a few questions regarding how its running. First of all when its cold it starts right up. But when its hot, and I turn it over it wont start, and eventually it smells like gas, so I guess Im flooding the engine. I was thinking that it might be bad gas, because that gas has been sitting in there for about 4 months, but that wouldnt explain why only turns over right away when its cold. Eventually when I finally get it started, I have to give it alot of gas to keep it from dying, and a huge puff of smoke comes out of the exhaust. Secondly, Ive been driving it around town a little bit to get it broken in, and today I took it on the beltway, and kept it at 50-55 mph. However when I steped on the gas it made kinda a squeling sound, its kinda hard to describe, but it wasnt anything Ive noticed before and it dint sound good. Sorry its so long, thanks for your help.
-mark

I'm not sure where to start on your hot-start issue, but the squeeling is probably from a loose belt.

Also when you start it hot how many times do you pump the pedal before you turn it over ? And it sounds like a belt squeal to me .

brand new engine...

I'd check the choke. Make sure it's fully open when the choke lever is all the way in.

or maybe your idle mixture is set too rich? 1/2 turn in at a time to lean it out

Owner's Manual sez: Hot start...do not pump, just push pedal down, turn key. Has always worked for me.

Pluton said:
Owner's Manual sez: Hot start...do not pump, just push pedal down, turn key. Has always worked for me.

Thats what i do, same result

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom