brand new engine, couple of questions

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by LuvenMud15, Jul 10, 2005.

1. LuvenMud15

LuvenMud15

Hey guys,
    I just put a rebuilt engine in the 60, and I have a few questions regarding how its running. First of all when its cold it starts right up. But when its hot, and I turn it over it wont start, and eventually it smells like gas, so I guess Im flooding the engine. I was thinking that it might be bad gas, because that gas has been sitting in there for about 4 months, but that wouldnt explain why only turns over right away when its cold. Eventually when I finally get it started, I have to give it alot of gas to keep it from dying, and a huge puff of smoke comes out of the exhaust. Secondly, Ive been driving it around town a little bit to get it broken in, and today I took it on the beltway, and kept it at 50-55 mph. However when I steped on the gas it made kinda a squeling sound, its kinda hard to describe, but it wasnt anything Ive noticed before and it dint sound good. Sorry its so long, thanks for your help.
    -mark

2. lovetoski

lovetoski SILVER Star

I'm not sure where to start on your hot-start issue, but the squeeling is probably from a loose belt.

3. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

Does your carb cooling fan work OK?

4. krzyabncanuck

krzyabncanuck USFS HOTSHOT

Also when you start it hot how many times do you pump the pedal before you turn it over ? And it sounds like a belt squeal to me .

5. ellington12

ellington12

brand new engine...

I'd check the choke. Make sure it's fully open when the choke lever is all the way in.

6. sportbiker929

sportbiker929

Media:
    or maybe your idle mixture is set too rich? 1/2 turn in at a time to lean it out

7. Pluton

Pluton

Owner's Manual sez: Hot start...do not pump, just push pedal down, turn key. Has always worked for me.

8. sportbiker929

sportbiker929

Media:
    Thats what i do, same result

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.