Brand new 8274-50 Leaking? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DPV7070

ForceFed40
SILVER Star
Threads
Gents,

I just picked up a brand spanking new 8274-50 and noticed when I was unpacking it that the gear side is covered in a light film of gear oil. Initially I thought it was "packing grease," but it's only on the left side. I half way think that this was because the UPS man left it face down, when the box clearly states which side is right side up, and that Warn expects this because the inside is lined with thick plastic sheeting. Anyways, should I go ahead an install it and check for leaks or what. It doesn't look like much has leaked out, maybe just a half an oz or so. I'll try to get pics up ASAP.

For what these things cost, I'd want to make sure it's 100%. Yes I looked for a good used one for 9+ months, no I did not pay full price.

Thanks,
Dave

2v2f8g3.jpg

s3dgmf.jpg

It's pretty hard to see the gear oil in the pictures, but it's there. I checked the bottom of the box and it doesn't appear to be enough to pool up. The drum seal is dry. Any ideas where it came from?

Last edited:
The 8274 will leak From the main housing and spooling drum seal when over filled as well.

I've bought five Warn winches new and none of them have come wrapped in plastic like your 8274. I'd say it's probably a response to complaints of leaks.

Out of curiosity, where'd you source it from?

PM sent.

It's normal for a little oil to come out.

~John

It's normal for a little oil to come out.

~John

What?

In the above picture I can see oil on the Box. It shouldnt be gear oil . It should be 30 weight NON DETERGENT

Last edited:
I misspoke, obviously not "gear oil," but rather oil from the gear side. I'm starting to think it might have been a glob of lube that got hot, then was absorbed by the cardboard. Before mounting I cleaned it up an let it sit angled about 45 deg fwd for awhile and it didn't leak anything. It's mounted now and not leaking anything so I'm calling it good. Thanks for yalls help.

I misspoke, obviously not "gear oil," but rather oil from the gear side. I'm starting to think it might have been a glob of lube that got hot, then was absorbed by the cardboard. Before mounting I cleaned it up an let it sit angled about 45 deg fwd for awhile and it didn't leak anything. It's mounted now and not leaking anything so I'm calling it good. Thanks for yalls help.

From time to time, a bit of oil can be found in the packaging. I double-checked with our Customer Service department. They said it should be fine. If you have any issue with it, either send me a PM or call our Customer Service dept. at 800-543-9276 between 7am and 4pm PST.

Enjoy the winch, and thanks for your business.

- Andy

From time to time, a bit of oil can be found in the packaging. I double-checked with our Customer Service department. They said it should be fine. If you have any issue with it, either send me a PM or call our Customer Service dept. at 800-543-9276 between 7am and 4pm PST.

Enjoy the winch, and thanks for your business.

- Andy

That is Exellent Andy. You stand behind the product. Thanks!

Andy, thanks for the follow-up! As for my follow-up I have the winch mounted and it operates perfectly. No leaks or other issues. I completed the initial stretching of the new wire, and I can only say that I don't remember my grandfather's Warn 8274 being this fast!!! I couldn't be more pleased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom