Brand New 2020 year LHD 70 Series to USA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lots of changes.
Coil spring
Better quality interiors and fit/finish
Slightly better corrosion resistance
and just not having to deal with a 25 year old truck and the beatings put on in by previous owners.

There is ZERO rational reason that a new 70 series can't be imported here.
**My experience is with the 75 / 79 Series Utes.

Coil Springs ….. still rides like a buckboard.
Better quality interiors and fit / finish ….. haven’t really noticed that. (Slightly more leg room)
Slightly better corrosion resistance ….. key word is here is perhaps “slightly”.
… and just not having to deal with a 25 year old truck and the beatings put on it by previous owners. ….. no arguing that upkeep is necessary but it is achievable.

There is ZERO rational reason that a new 70 Series can’t be imported here …. Other than the fact it wouldn’t sell in significant numbers, you are correct. 😁

Last edited:
Interesting reading on the subject here:

And here:

That’s just the beginning, but it’ll give you an idea of what is considered a “kit car” by the US government, what’s allowed, and what’s not. I haven’t read all that stuff in detail for a while, but iirc you’ll have an uphill battle trying to convince them that a non-USA spec car is a kit car simply because you disassembled it prior to import.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to know about a legal means of importing a brand new 70-series. I’m just not thinking you found it. That doesn’t mean you can’t do it (you probably can), but I don’t think it’s all the way legal.

**My experience is with the 75 / 79 Series Utes.

Coil Springs ….. still rides like a buckboard.
Better quality interiors and fit / finish ….. haven’t really noticed that. (Slightly more leg room)
Slightly better corrosion resistance ….. key word is here is perhaps “slightly”.
… and just not having to deal with a 25 year old truck and the beatings put on it by previous owners. ….. no arguing that upkeep is necessary but it is achievable.

There is ZERO rational reason that a new 70 Series can’t be imported here …. Other than the fact it wouldn’t sell in significant numbers, you are correct. 😁

well maybe not officailly imported by Toyota, becuase we all know why they SAY they won't do it (sales), but there is no rational reason for not allowing an indvidual to import one. If I can drive a 1977 FJ55 on the roads legally (until the man says I can't), then they shoud not even blink at a 2021 Toyota anything being on the roads here in the US.

The early 2000's 70 series are my favorite
Coil suspension
Metal in the dash - I like the early dash better.
Flat fender

@gilmorneau you are killing a childhood dream with your sound logic.

I don't mind bending the rules, I just want to stay out of prison.

Last edited:
I don't mind bending the rules, I just want to stay out of prison.

Very unlikely that an individual would go to prison for any of this, if that helps. Absolute worst case is fines and surrender or destruction of the vehicle.

With the right amount of money, its possible. Europa does this with brand new Diesel G wagons. You can purchase new trucks and have them get the truck certified and bring it over fully legal.

It basically doubles the price...

With the right amount of money, its possible. Europa does this with brand new Diesel G wagons. You can purchase new trucks and have them get the truck certified and bring it over fully legal.

Europa G.Wagen - Inventory
It basically doubles the price...

True for the G Wagen in no small part because Mercedes themselves sell a "substantially similar" version of the same car here in the US. That means certification of foreign-market versions for NHTSA and EPA compliance, while still expensive, is nowhere near as bad as it would be for a car like the Toyota 70-series (for which there is no "substantially similar" US version). But, yes, it's possible--both the EPA and the NHTSA spell out in detail what's required. It's not for the faint of heart (or resource-challenged), but if some deep pocketed Toyota lover would do it, the skids would be greased for the rest of us.

we all know why they SAY they won't do it (sales), but there is no rational reason for not allowing an indvidual to import one

I suspect it's a combination of the expense and hassle of getting a vehicle Federalized combined with the low sales potential (and the 25% "chicken tax") that keeps 70-series out of the US. Add all that up, and amortize the expense over the number of units projected to be sold, and it would add substantially to the cost of an already expensive-for-what-you-get vehicle. How many people in the US would pay, say, $100k or more for a new HZJ79? Or even a VDJ? Compare value for money with other trucks available here. Easy to see why Toyota don't bother.

As regards the reason for not allowing an individual to import one, well...you can thank US Rep. Bob Whittaker(R) of Kansas, who sponsored H.R. 2628 in 1987. That was the genesis of the "25 year rule" that is still in place today. If we want the rule to change, it changes the same way it was started: By an act of Congress. The law isn't written in stone--it can be changed.

“The law isn't written in stone--it can be changed”.
———————————————————————————-
Not to be a “glass half empty” kinda guy but I would think the U.S. automobile manufacturers can spend a LOT more on lobbyist (to protect their turf) than a group of 70 Series enthusiast. 😊

“The law isn't written in stone--it can be changed”.
———————————————————————————-
Not to be a “glass half empty” kinda guy but I would think the U.S. automobile manufacturers can spend a LOT more on lobbyist (to protect their turf) than a group of 70 Series enthusiast. 😊

Yep. We have voted on policy and voted for people that goes against our own interest for well over 100 years now. We are getting what we deserve.

True for the G Wagen in no small part because Mercedes themselves sell a "substantially similar" version of the same car here in the US. That means certification of foreign-market versions for NHTSA and EPA compliance, while still expensive, is nowhere near as bad as it would be for a car like the Toyota 70-series (for which there is no "substantially similar" US version). But, yes, it's possible--both the EPA and the NHTSA spell out in detail what's required. It's not for the faint of heart (or resource-challenged), but if some deep pocketed Toyota lover would do it, the skids would be greased for the rest of us.

I suspect it's a combination of the expense and hassle of getting a vehicle Federalized combined with the low sales potential (and the 25% "chicken tax") that keeps 70-series out of the US. Add all that up, and amortize the expense over the number of units projected to be sold, and it would add substantially to the cost of an already expensive-for-what-you-get vehicle. How many people in the US would pay, say, $100k or more for a new HZJ79? Or even a VDJ? Compare value for money with other trucks available here. Easy to see why Toyota don't bother.

As regards the reason for not allowing an individual to import one, well...you can thank US Rep. Bob Whittaker(R) of Kansas, who sponsored H.R. 2628 in 1987. That was the genesis of the "25 year rule" that is still in place today. If we want the rule to change, it changes the same way it was started: By an act of Congress. The law isn't written in stone--it can be changed.

While I agree completely about the challenges of importing grey market vehicles the introduction of the Mercedes G-Class to the US market was preceded by Europa federalizing examples for commercial resale starting back in the ‘90’s, demonstrating to Mercedes-Benz the viability of creating a US spec model. I think the exclusiveness and expense of the Europa G-Class also cemented their reputation for style and class here as well.

the introduction of the Mercedes G-Class to the US market was preceded by Europa federalizing examples for commercial resale starting back in the ‘90’s

Well...there ya' go. Learn something new every day. Thanks for that.

I would think the U.S. automobile manufacturers can spend a LOT more on lobbyist than a group of 70 Series enthusiast.

Hey, I just said it was possible. I didn't say it would be easy. lol...

Import a pre 1995 70 series for the vin and title then move all the 2020 parts over to that chassis. That’s about the only legal way.
but not legal

How difficult is it to import a diesel Land Cruiser from Canada to the US?

Last edited:
How difficult is it to import a diesel Land Cruiser from Canada to the US?
Shouldn’t be a problem as long as it’s at minimum 25 years old.

Same rules apply from Canada as from anywhere else--must be over 25 years old with engine and drivetrain in "original unmodified condition". You'll need to fill out an HS-7 and a 3520-1. Overall, not difficult at all.

OTOH, if you are asking about how to import a less than 25-year old diesel landcruiser from Canada, well...subterfuge is your only option.

@gilmorneau - quick question on this [non] option (quoted below). So it’s ok to put the 2020 body and parts on an 80 series chassis, correct? Even though it technically doesn’t meet all of the FMVSS standards? (Or does it in that case?). Is the only real difference that it gets registered as an 80 series and thus is ok to modify?

I’m having a hard time distinguishing the difference between putting all 2020 parts on an 1996 80 series chassis vs a 1996 70 series chassis that was imported.

Import a pre 1995 70 series for the vin and title then move all the 2020 parts over to that chassis. That’s about the only legal way.

Not legal. Sorry. Over 25 year-old cars are allowed to be imported because they're granted an exemption. They only get the exemption if they're in "original, unmodified condition". Besides, any part you swap over needs to meet the relevant FMVSS as of it's date of manufacture. Most won't.

Last edited:
So it’s ok to put the 2020 body and parts on an 80 series chassis, correct?
Not really. Every "system, part, or component of a motor vehicle" is subject to the FMVSS that were in effect at the time of its manufacture. Thus the body and associated parts of a foreign market 2020 Landcruiser, whether still attached to a complete 2020 vehicle or bolted to an 80-series chassis, technically need to be in compliance with US FMVSS. The foreign 2020 parts mostly won't be.

Is the only real difference that it gets registered as an 80 series and thus is ok to modify?
There are many ways you can legally modify a US market 80-series, but bolting the body of a 2020 foreign market car to it isn't one of them (see above). That said, in many jurisdictions, it is no problem to register a vehicle that has been modified in this manner. If the vehicle is in compliance with relevant local and/or State laws, then you can probably get plates for it. But...it will still be in violation of Federal statute, and subject to the penalties therein.

I’m having a hard time distinguishing the difference between putting all 2020 parts on an 1996 80 series chassis vs a 1996 70 series chassis that was imported.
Not much to distinguish--both are illegal as far as the Federal Government is concerned. The 2020 body and many of its parts are not legal for use on a motor vehicle in the US. The 1996 US market 80-series is legal because it was certified as such when it was originally sold. The 1996 imported 70-series is legal because it has an exemption from FMVSS for being over 25 years old. There is no such exemption for parts that are from a vehicle less than 25 years old and not FMVSS compliant.

But, yes, of course guys here in the US are doing exactly this. They've knowingly or otherwise accepted the risk involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom