Brand New 2020 year LHD 70 Series to USA (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there any way that a brand new 70 series would pass DOT and EPA requirements? Or is there another way to get a brand new street-able 70 series into the USA? I am interested in the 4.5L diesel spec models. I am not sure if it helps, but I am located in Florida, no emissions or inspections here. Lol. I see a number of R34 Skylines driving around. 🤷‍♂️ Thanks for your help.

Here are a few link of brand new models:

Import a pre 1995 70 series for the vin and title then move all the 2020 parts over to that chassis. That’s about the only legal way.
Is it legally possible to take the vin number dash plate, and swap literally everything from the 2020 model on to it? Can I legally get an fully intact 2020 into my possession to do this swap? Or would I need to import it in pieces?

Has anyone gone this route of DOT and EPA certification? link: Auto Imports They say it costs about $6000. I am wondering how accurate or doing this would be?

Is it easier to import to Canada before bringing it to the USA? Thoughts?

If we can get this process figured out, I am sure there will be a number of people utilizing it.

Sorry to be the one to have to tell you, but you're wasting your time. Can't be done. Or, more correctly, it's not reasonable to do it legally (but it is, technically, not impossible).

The Legal option:

Modify the vehicle to meet all relevant FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) in effect as of the vehicle's manufacture date. That's crash safety, bumpers, lights, passenger restraints, airbags, side impact protection, and on and on and on.......70-series Landcruisers manufactured for overseas markets don't meet many of the FMVSS, and it would involve major modification (read: expensive) to bring them into compliance, if it were even possible (which it may not be). All of the relevant FMVSS are published by the NHTSA. There are thousands of them for a 2020 model year car. Then supply a few of these modified vehicles to the US Government for crash testing, etc. They will be destroyed in the process. Now, assuming that after your modifications and testing you can get the car certified by the US DOT, then you move on to the EPA.

To make the EPA happy, you'll need to have the motor certified, which involves supplying a few of those for testing, and modifying them to meet US emissions regulations. Again, might not even be possible for a foreign-market motor, but if it is, it's going to be expensive. The EPA publishes the requirements.

Is there any way that a brand new 70 series would pass DOT and EPA requirements?

No

Or is there another way to get a brand new street-able 70 series into the USA?

Smuggle it in. That's really the only way. Highly illegal of course, but if you wanna take the risk, that's up to you.

I am not sure if it helps, but I am located in Florida, no emissions or inspections here. Lol. I see a number of R34 Skylines driving around.

Many cars in the US illegally have state license plates and registrations. Those functions are administered by the States, whereas it's the Federal government that determines which vehicles are allowed to legally enter the US.

Import a pre 1995 70 series for the vin and title then move all the 2020 parts over to that chassis. That’s about the only legal way.

Not legal. Sorry. Over 25 year-old cars are allowed to be imported because they're granted an exemption. They only get the exemption if they're in "original, unmodified condition". Besides, any part you swap over needs to meet the relevant FMVSS as of it's date of manufacture. Most won't.

Is it legally possible to take the vin number dash plate, and swap literally everything from the 2020 model on to it? Can I legally get an fully intact 2020 into my possession to do this swap? Or would I need to import it in pieces?

No. VIN swapping is the worst of the worst as far as Customs is concerned. Don't do it.
No. The only ways that allow you to get a fully intact 2020 into the US involve you documenting when it leaves the US a short time later.
No. Importing the pieces is only legal if you don't use them on a vehicle. Yard art? Sure. Coffee table? Fine. Car? Nope.

Has anyone gone this route of DOT and EPA certification? link: Auto Imports They say it costs about $6000.

That might apply to vehicles with a "substantially similar" US variant that can be readily modified to meet US FMVSS and EPA requirements, but not to something like a 70-series, for which there's no US equivalent. Honestly, $6k might get a car imported, but I doubt it would get it Federalized, too.

Is it easier to import to Canada before bringing it to the USA? Thoughts?

Irrelevant and expensive. Canada has, what, about 12% import duty? And they won't let you import a car that's less than 15 years old anyway. Even if you could bring it into Canada, you'd then pay the US import duty when you bring it to the US. Why pay twice? Dead end.

If we can get this process figured out, I am sure there will be a number of people utilizing it.

No doubt!

Sorry, I hate to be Mr. Buzzkill, but I've imported (I think) 8 cars so far and have become very familiar with the laws. You may say that you've seen cars in the USA that shouldn't be here, for example, Skylines. Well, yeah, there are newer than 25 year old Landcruisers here, too. There's virtually no chance they're here legally (there are some exceptions, but that's not what you're talking about here). The people who own them and drive them have (wittingly or not) accepted the risk that comes with doing an illegal thing. We all do. We drive 5 over the limit. We roll through stop signs. Meh, big deal. We risk a traffic ticket. Small potatoes.

Smuggling a car into the USA the risks are much greater. It's a "pretty small chance of getting caught but really, really big penalty if you do" kind of crime.

So, do you feel lucky?

Last edited:
Search out landrover 110 & crushing.

A few years ago, several new or newer 110 were brought in and sold (I think) illegally using questionable cracks in the us import laws.

Authorities got wind of the deal...confiscated and crushed😭😭😭

What are the chances of getting this vehicle added to the Show or Display list?

Slim to none.

Anyway, I thought you wanted a car to drive around, no? Even if you get one in on "show or display", you're not going to be driving it much, if at all. The rules stipulate that you can either: not drive it at all, or drive it up to a maximum of 2500 miles/year IF you bring it into EPA compliance (which may not be possible).

Also, most cars granted "show or display" exemptions are produced in very small numbers (less than 500 units), while untold many thousands of 70-series were made.

You can try, of course. The application is here:

edit: Oh, forgot to mention, you can't sell a car brought in on "show or display". It's yours until it turns 25.

You will have to contact an RI (registered importer) to use to introduce the truck to the US. Emissions compliance would have to be achieved and a model with air bags, tire sensors, etc would be best to source.

The issue becomes comment on application which I am sure Toyota Motor Sales North America will not support and the application will be denied.

Look up ferrari imports etc. They do not crash test them, but people of means bring them in via RI's and Ferrari will not battle with their importation.

Try a GRJ versus a diesel. Same engine as 4runner and can be made US compliant. Anticipate more than double cost of vehicle to import a zebra.

In my experience some minor modifications can be performed to a 25+ year exempt importation prior to shipping; most 70 series coming from South America have some degree of modifications. But there is tremendous risk in buying a 25+ year vehicle, converting it to a brand new vehicle over an old chassis and then completing the process. Best to import a close-to-standard vehicle and then make some modifications once you have it cleanly and legally in the US.

Long time no talk, @rick_d, hope you and family are all doing well! :)

It's easier and better to move to another country then import one of those vehicles here.
Yeah, totally illegal.
Not sure how you got that idea since the 25 year old FED rule has been in place for decades.

Just buy a 1995 / 1996 70 Series (legal to import). The 70 Series hasn’t changed since it’s introduction in 1985. (Unless you consider a few cosmetic updates as “changes”). 😊

Possibly, but I believe this could be a viable legal option if you are willing and able to navigate the legal requirements for brining in a scraped dismantled parts and again the requirements to build a kit car. I had a great conversation with @OGBeno about this a few months ago, and I have been tying to find a knowledgeable import/export lawyer.

The frame seems to be the biggest deal breaker, it will need to be cut in to 4 pieces (at least).

I may have to risk it for the biscuit!

Just buy a 1995 / 1996 70 Series (legal to import). The 70 Series hasn’t changed since it’s introduction in 1985. (Unless you consider a few cosmetic updates as “changes”). 😊

Lots of changes.
Coil springs
Better quality interiors and fit/finish
Slightly better corrosion resistance
and just not having to deal with a 25 year old truck and the beatings put on in by previous owners.

There is ZERO rational reason that a new 70 series can't be imported here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom