Brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The 80 just ate a whole rotor. Thinking a rock or pebble got in there and messed up everything. The 80 might be up on the auction block in the future, and instead of replacing them with stock, i figured I could save some money and get the DBA rotors, maybe get the High-Pro braking package that MAF offers. Replacing brakes is a DIY job right? Anyways, thanks guys, I might be leaving the rank of 80-Ownership. :'(

Stock rotors are 99 bucks list each. How much are the DBA rotors?

Jon,
Replacing the rotors is a 2 banana DIY job. You will need a hub socket and a few other special tools (e.g. a brass bar/drift and a spring gauge.)

There is a good write up done for Jim on the SOR archive. Search for "brass" or "drift" (or both) and you will probably get a hit.

The DBA rotors are more (much more!) than the OEM rotors based on the above info from C-Dan. You should replace the pads along with the rotors and you'll need to repack the front wheel bearings with grease.

Let us know if you need help.

-B-

If you're looking to set the rig up for sale, then get the cheap rotors from Henderson ($35 each). I run them on mine, but no one else is brave enough :). Well, actually they are rusting away in the driveway while I take my sweet-a time on the rebuild :(.

Henderson's got an 800 number:
800-248-3444

Auction block because of brakes :slap: No that deserves another :slap: your rig will go through brakes and rotors. It may be the worse offender in that catagory, but I know of people with Fords and Chevy's that eat rotors and pads just as quickly. Depends also on your driving habits too. My wife likes to fly up to that stop sign and sit there and wait, me, I like to just coast on up there and usually by that time the light has changed I just keep on a going.
I ordered the DBA kit from MAF. I believe it was around $500 or $550 something like that, but it included the rotors, pads and the stainless steel brake lines.
Another reason why pads wear out so quick now a days is do to the enviromental material that is used in the pads. You are going to go through pads and rotors in any vehicle, but to consider auctioning off an 80 for that reason ??? ??? ??? yea, that deserves another :slap:

Yomama

Ill look into the OEM rotors Dan. The decision isnt really mine, more of my Dads seeing as how the truck is in his name. The rplacement would be like a minitruck or nothin American. My dad is just tired of all the problems, which is understandable even though there arnt that many. Im gonna try and talk him into letting me and someone else whos done the service before do it.

I ended up with DBA front and rear from MAF as follows:

43512-60090XDS 93-97 Front 80 Series $119

42431-60170XDS 93-97 Rear 80 Series $119

Only have had them on about 5k, but so far I'm pleased with them, but that may be more a function of the old ones being seriously worn and that F/R Pads were replaced at the same time (some carbon fiber TRD thingy's the local Toyota guy hooked me up with). Anyway, very secure stopping when trailering the boat, and no problems with Mis'sippi mud clogging them up.............so far.

Jon,
If you think it will help I will post a letter to your Dad that will bring tears to his eyes and, hopefully, bring him back to his senses before he sells that wonderful truck. A '93 with lockers and only 180k miles is not something you want to part with just because it needs a few maintenance items.

Ask Landtoy80. He's caught up with all the maintenance his needed and recently drove it a few thousand miles, into the mountains of Colorado, and *wheeled* it! That's probably the happiest Kurt and the truck have been in 10 years.

-B-

Jon
Bring your rig up to Charlotte, NC and I can help you with the brakes and the birf repack. Order your parts from cruiserdan on this board for a good deal. Also, remind your dad that any used vehicle is going to have maintenance that needs to be done to it.
Brian

was talking to my Mom today and she wants to take it to the Dealership to get fixed :-X. I tried to tell her that it would be $$$$$$$$$$$ at the dealership cuz they would repack the birfs as well and that job alone is like 800-900 dollars if I remember. Im working on the "not getting to sell" thing, i might have just been idle talk. Dunno, but either way, ill see about comin up to NC, just gotta have a weekend free. We'll see. Thanks for the support guys in such a time of crisis.

Jon,
Replacing the rotors is a 2 banana DIY job. You will need a hub socket and a few other special tools (e.g. a brass bar/drift and a spring gauge.)

There is a good write up done for Jim on the SOR archive. Search for "brass" or "drift" (or both) and you will probably get a hit.

The DBA rotors are more (much more!) than the OEM rotors based on the above info from C-Dan. You should replace the pads along with the rotors and you'll need to repack the front wheel bearings with grease.

Let us know if you need help.

-B-

Just bought my Land Cruiser for $400 and the brakes are shot! Surprise haha. But everything else works! I got the deal of a lifetime. But I was reading this post and wondering what some of these tools are and why they are needed. I am totally new to the Toyota world. Can someone tell me how easy/hard it is going to be to change the rotors front and back on my '94 Land Cruiser.

Here's a pic of what I got for $400 :)

DSCF0644.jpg

Are you missing a zero? $400? At $400, the previous owner must have suffered from unintended acceleration syndrome! Or you are a theif!

Are you missing a zero? $400? At $400, the previous owner must have suffered from unintended acceleration syndrome! Or you are a theif!

LOL! The lady I bought it off of just didn't know what she had. She wanted a smaller car and when I picked it up the engine was misfiring all over the place. But, even though it was misfiring it drove over 100 miles back to where I live. So the day after I got it, my buddy and I ripped apart the throttle body, manifold, and valve cover and what we found was shocking! Cylinder 5 spark plug was broken in 2 pieces. The cermamic spearated from the base. Also the spark plug wire were SO old and rotted, the boot plastic shattered into the cylinders. I went to remove Spark plug 4 and found that 1 was not even screwed into the freaking block. So after, $80 in new plugs, wires, distrubotr cap and valve cover seal I am back in business. Motor runs like a son of a b*tchin champ! The car has over 289,000 miles on it and the motor runs as quiet as the day she was bought. The only noise I hear is the alternator whining, which I will take a movie clip later and post it.

But yea the car is a gem. Everything works inside, sunroof, lights, heat, abs, you name it! Paint is in great shape too. A good vacuum and scrub down and for $400 I just walked away with the deal of the century.

So anyways, this is a brake forum, I a brand new to the Land Crusier beasts. Someone guide me on what I need to get a rotor and brake job done. I am doing it myself and I dont know much about these beasts, so any advice is appreciated!

For years I have wanted to be a Toyota owner and here I am. Slight tear to my eye haha
:steer:

Call CDan and he will get you what you need at the right price. He is listed in the vendors section.

Good Luck and welcome

Nice steal. I thought my '91 for $2900 was a nice grab but dang, $400!

You saved the rest for maintenance cost though. ;p

I want a $400 LC!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom