Brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 75 and as i have read all wheels are shoed is it easy or even worth it to cgange them all to disc brakes

Most people I know that has a 40 really like disc brakes because of ease of maintenance, cost and stopping power when wet and they tend not to get full of mud and rocks when wheeling, but too much of anything can cause stopping problems. My truck is all drums still because I simply cannot afford a conversion right now. But when drum brakes are maintained properly there is no problem to speak of. After all drum brakes were practically on everything vehicle in history and all wars until the 1980's:cheers:

I still have my rear drums and I'm perfectly happy with them. Make sure they are adjusted properly, have good pads, and no leaky wheel cylinders and you should get good performance out of them.

A front disc brake conversion is relatively easy, any solid axle toyota mini truck or land cruiser disc brake knuckles will work on your truck. Look at the IH8Mud archives for the solution.

If you are not a rock climber I think the rear drums will work great, if you adjust them they will probably stay that way for a long time. Front drums will work well if you keep them adjusted and remember to pump and dry them a little if you drive thought deep water or mud, but I would not rock climb with them. I am actually putting 1977 axles under my 1962, but doing it because of leaking axles. Oil leaking into the front drum is very bad for drums, will enjoy the disc brakes once installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom