Brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just replaced the master cylinder and bled the air out of the system but the peddel seems a little soft. The rear brakes lock up first , thats the norm I'm sure and there a little touchy. I just bought the rig with the bad brakes so I don't know what it was like before tha change out. The shop told me that on this year the peddel was soft. Agree or Disagree?
Stroker

I have a 12/75 (so technically a '76), and the brake pedal's not mush at all.

Look into 4 wheel discs and a proportioning valve. I can stop on a dime now, even far better than my roommate's brand new F-150. The parts cost less than fixing the drums, too.

No brake pedal should be soft, ever. If so, something is not right.

ADJUST ALL WHELL CYLINDERS!!!!

Good luck!

-Steve

Being a newbie here I'm going to ask a risky ? I know I can adjust the rear brakes but you can't do much with the front can you being there disk brakes?

What is the condition of the front system?

How are the pads? How are the rotors? Are both sides of the calipers working properly(they are four piston units, pads should be evenly worn)
Have you tried bleeding the system again, especially the front? The front can be difficult to get all the air out of some times...

Have you removed the rear drums and visually inspected the wheel cylinders for leaks? I would first look at the rear cylinders if you have not, and make sure that they are not leaking. Just becasue you do not see brake fluid on the shoes, cylinders or backing plates does not mean that they are not leaking. After the drum is off, take a pic or small blade screwdriver, and where the rubber seal meets the cylinder, seperate that in a small area, and make sure that it is dry inside that area, as if there is fluid in there, then it is getting past the seal in the wheel cylinder. Please wear saftey glasses when doing this, as if there is break fluid present, and the rubber cap snaps back down, you could end up with it in your eyes, like this dumb ass did once...

Good luck!

-Steve

[quote author=pygpen link=board=1;threadid=11369;start=msg103385#msg103385 date=1076539641]
75 should be drums in front, mine (4/75) was....
if they're disks, bleed them.
PMK
[/quote]

08/75 would be disc front...

FYI....

:beer:

Where did you get your master cylinder? Some out there are junk out of the box. Might just try to rebleed everything again, including the master, and see if it helps

Scrap the rear drums for disc while your fooling with it. Much mo betta!

[quote author=Bama_B link=board=1;threadid=11369;start=msg103394#msg103394 date=1076540235]
Where did you get your master cylinder? Some out there are junk out of the box. Might just try to rebleed everything again, including the master, and see if it helps

Scrap the rear drums for disc while your fooling with it. Much mo betta!
[/quote]

New Toyota is the only way to go...

Man you guys are great. I'll check it all out again tomorrow. The master cylinder is brand new toyota. The pads are all new all around. Where do you get the parts to change the rear to disk? Expensive? Thanks again everybody.
Stroker

Rear disc caliper brakets can be found at many parts dealers, or on Ebay..

These brakets will require that you use a gm '80's era monte carlo caliper, or if you want a parking brake on the rear axle, you can use cadilac eldorado calipers...

good luck!

-Steve

[quote author=Stroker link=board=1;threadid=11369;start=msg103723#msg103723 date=1076575212]
Man you guys are great. I'll check it all out again tomorrow. The master cylinder is brand new toyota. The pads are all new all around. Where do you get the parts to change the rear to disk? Expensive? Thanks again everybody.
Stroker
[/quote]

Brackets...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2460126040&category=33564

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom