Brakes went out :( (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2000 LX with just under 140k miles…last Saturday the brakes completely went out on me while driving on the highway. I was able to stop safely thank god. I haven’t been able to get it towed to a shop yet but I’m going to get it in this weekend. I’m thinking of getting to a nearby Lexus service center. A few months ago I had it towed to a shop and got the fuel injector fuse replaced. On that tow the emergency brake was damaged and I couldn’t afford to replace it at the time so I had been driving without it. My question is what likely went wrong and how much might I be looking at it have it properly repaired?
Is it likely or posssible that the E-brake had anything to do with the brakes going out?

the accumulator pump motor is known to fail on the 100 series brake booster. This will cause an (eventual) loss of pressure. This failure is associated with a loud warning beep from the dashboard warning of low pressure. Since you didn't mention that, and you're in the rust belt, im going to bet you have a rusted brake line that ruptured, causing fluid/pressure loss. Good news is the repair of the 2nd thing i mentioned is probably a lot less than the booster

the accumulator pump motor is known to fail on the 100 series brake booster. This will cause an (eventual) loss of pressure. This failure is associated with a loud warning beep from the dashboard warning of low pressure. Since you didn't mention that, and you're in the rust belt, im going to bet you have a rusted brake line that ruptured, causing fluid/pressure loss. Good news is the repair of the 2nd thing i mentioned is probably a lot less than the booster
Interesting. There actually was a loud beep and lights on the dash when it happened. I just didn’t catch a look at the lights on the dash because the smoke in the rear view immediately caught my eye.

Hmmm.... this seems odd. was there brake pressure? Andy Le on Facebook / Ebay reuilds Master Cylinders much cheaper than the new parts lexus will try and sell you.

Also when was the last time you did pads / calipers? We need more info to help you.

Interesting. There actually was a loud beep and lights on the dash when it happened. I just didn’t catch a look at the lights on the dash because the smoke in the rear view immediately caught my eye.

Smoke? What kind if smoke?

I'm with @excessive — sounds like a brake line rusted out, on the passenger side, somewhere near the exhaust (WAG, but I think that's your smoke). The loss in pressure would cause the same alarms as a booster gone bad.

Ohio...man, y'all just can't catch a break.

Smoke? What kind if smoke?
Just whiteish looking smoke. I drove for maybe 2 or 3 minutes trying to figure out where/when to get off the highway and when I tried to slow down, the brake pedal went straight to the floor. I then noticed more smoke each time I pressed the brake. Had to end up driving maybe 10 minutes before coming to a stop and I hit the brake a few times out of habit.

Also when was the last time you did pads / calipers? We need more info to help you.
Could have been a while ago. I’ve had the truck for less than a year and previous owner didn’t mention replacing brake pads/calipers

Just whiteish looking smoke. I drove for maybe 2 or 3 minutes trying to figure out where/when to get off the highway and when I tried to slow down, the brake pedal went straight to the floor. I then noticed more smoke each time I pressed the brake. Had to end up driving maybe 10 minutes before coming to a stop and I hit the brake a few times out of habit.
Sounds like more smoke with each time you pressed the pedal which would likely point to brake fluid causing the smoke.

Last edited:
I then noticed more smoke each time I pressed the brake.
Busted brake line or blown caliper seals caused all the brake fluid to leak out, leaving you with no pedal pressure and resulting in a beep from the dash to warn you that fluid was low in the reservoir.

Would the booster test steps on this post be able to detect the brake line leak issue also, if the brake fluid leak is gradual rather than sudden?

If we do these 2 tests regularly and visually check caliper condition and brake fluid level in reservoir, would that prevent the vast majority of all kinds of brake failures?

Last edited:

k in that case I'd assume brake fluid leaking onto something hot'

To me this doesn't sound like a master cylinder issue. I'd check the front brake lines and calipers and see if you see brake fluid leaking. How is the level in the reservoir?

k in that case I'd assume brake fluid leaking onto something hot'

To me this doesn't sound like a master cylinder issue. I'd check the front brake lines and calipers and see if you see brake fluid leaking. How is the level in the reservoir?
Low. Last time I checked it the level seemed to be decreasing more and more.

Check for fluid leaks at all 4 wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom