Brakes weak and weird (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Folks,

My 60 has laid off the road for quite a while, drove it today and there is no feel in the brakes, if I press hard I can stop and lockup one of the wheels, the pedal feels a bit low when pressed. If I pump the pedal it comes to the top but then the brakes are even weaker. Does that make sense. Did some work on the brakes recently like a new rear caliper and shoes in the rear, re-bled all round. When I stopped after a short ten minute drive all four wheels felt warm. Strange that the brakes feel weaker after pumping the pedal.

Thoughts please, things to check, is there anyway to test the servo/booster.

Has the fluid dropped in the reservoir? If you have to pump then more bleeding is needed.

The fluid hasn't dropped at all since I bled it a month or two back, but i did notice it was low when she had sat around before that. I'm guessing that was due to the rear cylinders leaking which I now replaced. (and when I pump the pedal comes higher but the brakes feel weaker)

When I pulled the vacuum hose off the booster/servo an hour after stopping it hissed so was still holding vacuum. With the engine running and my thumb on the end of the hose by the booster there is suction enough to slowly pull my skin in. I did notice what might be historic paint removal rust under the master cylinder. its dry under neath it. (its possible I may have replaced the master a while back but not 100% sure)

Attached is the trouble shooting guide and some procedures for checking your brake booster and bleeding brakes. I'm not really sure what you mean by your brakes feeling "weak"--if the pedal is hard but it takes more force on the pedal to get your truck to slow/stop, this may indicate a problem with the booster. If the pedal is soft, then it could be air in the lines, weak flexible hoses, poor adjustment of the rear drums, etc.

Attachments

• Brake Checks and Adjustments.pdf
    544 KB · Views: 132
  • Brake Troubleshooting.pdf
    514.9 KB · Views: 90
Usually having to pump the brake pedal to get more pedal height is a symptom of a worn out master cylinder.
Brand new brakes & cylinders/pistons will drag a bit, so they'll heat up the wheel

Sounds like master cylinder. Sometimes when you bleed brakes, you end up pushing the master cylinder piston further than it has gone in years and if there is any roughness from rust in the cylinder beyond it's usual travel, the rubber piston seals get damaged, causing the master to leak and get weak...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom