Brakes Upgrade on '96 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did brakes over the past year. ... Rebuilding and replacing many of them made the system better overall.
On high mileage vehicles, we often forget how much better the brakes were a long time ago. I went through ours a couple of years ago. Used mostly OEM, except for NAPA premium front calipers and I did not bother with the LSPV. Made a tremendous difference. Like jonheld says, this will lock up big tires with no issue.

100 pads are about increased pad longevity. When I used 80 pads I was damn near 12k on the dot. Going the same exact price 100 pads nets me another 2-3k miles or more. At near 400k on my truck I’ve changed a LOT of brake pads.
Good to know. I thought is was odd when I changed a set out with 15k or so on them.

On high mileage vehicles, we often forget how much better the brakes were a long time ago. I went through ours a couple of years ago. Used mostly OEM, except for NAPA premium front calipers and I did not bother with the LSPV. Made a tremendous difference. Like jonheld says, this will lock up big tires with no issue.
Agree with this. Rebuilt my entire brake system last year minus the booster and hard lines. It's so much smoother now and it stops the truck just fine. I usually drive the 80 with It's weight in mind but there have been a few times where someone stopped short and I had to slam the pedal to the floor. Haven't hit anything yet so apparently they work fine :D

Agree with this. Rebuilt my entire brake system last year minus the booster and hard lines. It's so much smoother now and it stops the truck just fine. I usually drive the 80 with It's weight in mind but there have been a few times where someone stopped short and I had to slam the pedal to the floor. Haven't hit anything yet so apparently they work fine :D
I forgot to note another pair of parts I did NOT change out, the rear rotors. I did not want to deal with the E-brakes at the time. My rear calipers were in such shape it was obvious they hadn't worked in a long time. I measured the rotor and it was well within spec, although perhaps a little eneven. I installed new calipers and pads. Need to get back to those E-brakes, plus service the rear bearings, too, though, but she stops just fine.

I forgot to note another pair of parts I did NOT change out, the rear rotors. I did not want to deal with the E-brakes at the time. My rear calipers were in such shape it was obvious they hadn't worked in a long time. I measured the rotor and it was well within spec, although perhaps a little eneven. I installed new calipers and pads. Need to get back to those E-brakes, plus service the rear bearings, too, though, but she stops just fine.
Yeah, I didn't tear into the E-brake either now that you mention it. I did adjust it to work with the new rotors though. Old E-brake pads were still good to go so I didn't bother swapping them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom