Brakes squealing when braking in hot temps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
At the beginning of the year I had a really sharp shriek a happening on one of my rear brakes when braking sporadically in a drive.
I assumed it was a pad issue, and replaced both rear pads and even got new rotors since there was a bit of a cut happening them, one more than the other.

I took off for a roadtrip up to Wisconsin in Feb from Phoenix, Az. Didn't hear anything during that drive, I was driving in sub 50 degrees once I was in northern az and about 32 degrees in NM, then between sub zero and 15 degree days for a month through till my return to the southwest.
Again didn't hear anything. But after driving a little bit in Phoenix after returning, the sound started to happen again. So I called a mechanic I trust and he said I needed to ensure I was using the right metal clips and inserted into the caliper correctly. So I got what he recco'd, centric brake pads and used the clips from it on my (plenty of meat left) duralast gold pads.

Now after about ~10,000 miles of driving with a few in state and some multi state roundtrips, I'm hearing two different squeals. Did I really go through my pads that quickly? Do I have some dirt/grit stuck in there proper? Hard to believe the clips are inserted the wrong way...?

Bringing it back to the title.
This seems to be something that really only occurs when it's either really hot out and/or the brakes are hot - which in Phx isn't hard of course. It doesn't squeal at all after first starting a drive and leaving the garage where it's cool, but after a few minutes or so coming to a stop light I'll hear it when the pads and rotors have really warmed up.

Any insight? Haven't had a chance to the truck in the air and look at it all myself the past few months.
Considering having a pro look while I'm at work - if there's any local reccos.

Thanks boyz

First heat cause expansion!
Second OEM parts are best, we can use OE's pads like Ackerbon Ceramic (which "may" be OEM manufacture).

I use either OEM pads w/anti squeal shims or Ackerbon Ceramic ACT773 which come w/squeal shim attached.
Slide pins need to have goods boots and slide freely. Often times, slide pin boots are reused, when past useful life. If their not tight, giving a good water seal. Pins rust in.

Note:
Use transmission to control downhill speed. Using brakes cause them to overheat. They can catch on fire.
Most aftermarket rotor, are; cheap Chinese junk. They're almost always out round (runout out of limite). Have turned, if out of spec.
Bedding in new pads & rotor, is key to no squeal.
Wash brake caliper & pads frequently, w/HP water. Drive and use brakes after washing to dry!
Avoid parking with wet brake pads & rotors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom