Brakes seized after caliper install. Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just replaced a CV axle..all new calipers..rotors and pads..bled the system and now when I start it and put it in gear it won't move. If I give it some throttle it moves but barely. Any thoughts?

If you jack it back up, will both tires spin freely? Something simple like e-brake on from working on it?
I spent 26 hours working on this since Friday. Just bought a 100 series that needed a lot of work..pretty neglected. I found the issue. Aftermarket ball joints... NIGHTMARE! the bolt of the lower ball joint was jammed into the wheel...(on both wheels)..hence why it wouldn't move and when I gave it some throttle it was grinding. Here is a pic of the aftermath. Sucks I took every wheel back off and every caliper to rule it out but this was my problem

20200809_175953.jpg

20200809_175941.jpg

20200809_175935.jpg

Last edited:
That is weird, is there something else broken, to allow bolt to get that close? How about some photos of steering arm and ball joint so other can avoid it.

It was both wheels. I used Mevotech lower ball joints. I used a band saw and cut the bottom of the ball joints off and now I have clearance.

How deep is the groove cut on the rim? Depending on the depth, your wheel may or may not be in a usable condition.

Unsprung weight reduction ... bonus!

Gotta look on the bright side sometimes ....

Weird that the wheel would go back on in the first place. But, even if you'd mentioned you'd done the ball joints too, don't know that anyone would have said "check that the threads aren't too long". But, good to know it can happen and good you got it back on the road. Def. a strange one.

Worked on cars for 20 years and i can say this is the first time i've seen a balljoint bolt hitting the rim, you wouldn't be able to mount the rim in the first place if it was sticking out too far. Trying to see how this happened, anyways the rim might be compromised as that would be the point of cracking if you hit something hard that can stress it.

How deep is the groove cut on the rim? Depending on the depth, your wheel may or may not be in a usable condition.

It dug in pretty good but I don't think deep enough to compromise the integrity of the wheels. You can see in one of the pics I posted of the metal rolled up. The 100 series wheels already have a groove cut in the wheels I imagine for more clearance of the ball joint. These ball joints were just too long

Worked on cars for 20 years and i can say this is the first time i've seen a balljoint bolt hitting the rim, you wouldn't be able to mount the rim in the first place if it was sticking out too far. Trying to see how this happened, anyways the rim might be compromised as that would be the point of cracking if you hit something hard that can stress it.
I am just as perplexed. The spindle moves up and down with the wheel. So in theory you're right, they mounted fine but as soon as I tried to back it out of the garage it wouldn't move..almost like the brakes were locked up. I thought with this electronic braking system I may have done something wrong.

Do you have bearing play? What else could move the hub/wheel with respect to the lower control arm?

Do you have bearing play? What else could move the hub/wheel with respect to the lower control arm?
I replaced the bearings and seals..axle flange..CV axle..all new brakes rotors..pads..calipers.. so no bearing play. I'm still trying to figure out how this happened when the spindle moves with the wheel. It also happened to both wheels...clueless how I got the wheels on to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom