Brakes engage while trying to accelerate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 97 80 series cruiser and have found when I’m on the highway it seems that my brakes engage. I have changed out the front brake calipers and have had the power booster changed but still having the problem. Has anyone else had this issue?

I would pull the front drive shaft and lock the center diff and see if that makes any difference. You also should provide a better description and conditions when this happens.

Does your truck still have the factory ABS system hooked up, or has someone removed it?

As above, need more details; does it feel like the whole truck is being held back,
pulling left or right, nose diving or squatting in the rear, vibrations, noises, ----??

All tires matching, same tread, size, brand?

I have a 97 80 series cruiser and have found when I’m on the highway it seems that my brakes engage. I have changed out the front brake calipers and have had the power booster changed but still having the problem. Has anyone else had this issue?
The truck will not pull anymore since I swapped the calipers. The issue seems to happen intermittently and when the vehicle warms up it seems to happen more often. The reason I think it’s the brakes is I can put the truck on a hill and it will not roll as if the brakes are engaged.

I would pull the front drive shaft and lock the center diff and see if that makes any difference. You also should provide a better description and conditions when this happens.
The issue seems to happen intermittently and when the vehicle warms up it seems to happen more often. The reason I think it’s the brakes is I can put the truck on a hill and it will not roll as if the brakes are engaged.

As above, need more details; does it feel like the whole truck is being held back,
pulling left or right, nose diving or squatting in the rear, vibrations, noises, ----??

All tires matching, same tread, size, brand?
The truck will not pull anymore since I swapped the calipers. The issue seems to happen intermittently and when the vehicle warms up it seems to happen more often. The reason I think it’s the brakes is I can put the truck on a hill and it will not roll as if the brakes are engaged. When the truck seems to hold back the brakes become tight and the will seem to vibrate. Have you heard of brake lines becoming clogged?

More Details dose not mean the same details three or fore post in a row . Just saying, not the best way to get help here

The smart ass answer is "Drive with one foot"

:rofl:

? Double/triple check caliper bolts??

Can't hurt.

Seeing as this is a 24 year old truck I'd take a good look at the condition of all your rubber brake lines. Because if they are damaged internal or swollen, that damage could very well act as a one way valve preventing the pressure being applied to the caliper, from completely releasing. Thereby keeping your brake pads in constant contact with the brake rotors.

X2 what @ppc said that would determine if it’s in the front. I would check your parking brake too.
More Details dose not mean the same details three or fore post in a row . Just saying, not the best way to get help here
im sorry new to forums so wasn’t sure if I had to reply to each person directly for them to see it.

im sorry new to forums so wasn’t sure if I had to reply to each person directly for them to see it.
No worries, welcome to mud

Last edited:
So in neutral, on a hill, the truck will not roll freely??
When was the last time anything in either axle was serviced? And by whom?
Are the ABS sensors in good shape still, having their boot, wires look good, and firmly inserted and secured?
Tranny fluid looks and smells ok?
Any other symptoms that may or may not be related?

So in neutral, on a hill, the truck will not roll freely??
When was the last time anything in either axle was serviced? And by whom?
Are the ABS sensors in good shape still, having their boot, wires look good, and firmly inserted and secured?
Tranny fluid looks and smells ok?
Any other symptoms that may or may not be related?
The truck will roll freely when the symptoms are not there which are intermittent. I’ve never had the axle serviced tranny fluid looks good and the symptoms happen when the vehicle warms up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom